Other Guitars

Hey Tele guys with a TVJ Classic pu

I'm curious about the Filtertron neck with a single coil Tele pickup matching. I was under the impression you use a 500k pot for a humbucker and a 250k for a single coil (am I right?) so what do you do as far as pots go when you mix a single coil with a humbucker (I'm thinking TV Jones classic in this example)

Good question, I have the same question with a P90/Tele pairing.

You could change the tone control to a 500K pot and make that the volume for the TVJ Classic. It leaves the guitar without a tone pot but having 2 independent volumes helps when blending the 2 pickups together. I did this on my Jazzmaster with a humbucker bridge and a single coil Jazzmaster neck.

You could change the tone control to a 500K pot and make that the volume for the TVJ Classic. It leaves the guitar without a tone pot but having 2 independent volumes helps when blending the 2 pickups together. I did this on my Jazzmaster with a humbucker bridge and a single coil Jazzmaster neck.

– BuddyHollywood

Yes! And why didn't I think of that?

Yes! And why didn't I think of that?

– Mr_Christopher

Because then you don’t have tone control.

I preface this by saying that I know nearly nothing about designing or installing wiring harnesses.

If you have two volumes to blend pickups, would it be possible to wire your pickup selector (now offering a redundant function) as a three-way tone switch a la a Gretsch? You could flip the control plate to make the volume more accessible and avoid unwanted bumps too.

I don't know if this would even be possible with the size of the control cavity and existing wiring schematic. It seemed like an interesting solution to the "no tone" problem though.

Feel free to mock me now... Ha!

There's no rule that says you need a 250k for single coils. Just use a 500k (or a 1M) and move on.

Because then you don’t have tone control.

– Nick45

I'm an incredibly primitive player, I never mess with the tone knob on the guitar so this solution (two volumes, no tone knob) would suit my purposes.

If you chose individual volumes you might not even need the pu selector. You could wire it as a tone switch. That would make it even more unique and Gretschy.

I say give it a whirl before you rewire anything; I have a Squier Standard Tele (a "gift" from Fender, long story) that I've upgraded with a '90s Gretsch Filter'Tron (taken from my 6120-60 when I put TV Classics in her) neck pickup, coupled with a Seymour Duncan Antiquity bridge pickup, and except for ditching the output jack for a Switchcraft, I haven't changed the pots or anything at all. I thought I would have to, but I wanted to gig-test the Tele immediately, and it sounded pretty good with the original pots and switch, so I never bothered. The pots are even the tiny, cheap ones...

The idea of re-assigning the tone control to a second volume crossed my mind, but the Filter'Tron sounds a whole lot better (IMO) than an ordinary Tele neck pickup anyway, and these two pickups sound great together in the middle position, and that's mostly what I've done when I've played this one.

Anders

I'm a constant fiddler and there's nothing left to do on my Gretsch, so I'm thinking about a TV Jones classic in the neck and keep the Twang King bridge pu I have now. I never use my tone control so the dual volumes make sense for me and I like the idea of being able to blend the volume between the pickups very much. So yeah.

Register Sign in to join the conversation