Other Guitars

Hey CITES dudes

Someone posted a good link to To Everything You Need to Knowk, which I can't find.

A guy from Italy wants to get my 1999/2000 Epi Korean EB-1 bass that some of you have seen up here. Is that new enough to weasel thru?

This is a Reverb inquiry and so not going thru the Toxic Blight of Ebay Global Shipping.

I posted this Link a while back. I hope it answers your questions.

Unfortunately no guitar is “new enough to weasel through”. Any guitar which has rosewood components needs CITES certification to be shipped across an international border.

It’s legal to carry your own guitar (containing rosewood) across international borders, as long as it’s for your own use. Carrying a guitar across a border with the intent to sell it is a different issue and you can’t ship a guitar without the correct certification. I’ve crossed the Canada/USA border several times with vintage guitars I bought in the US. I always declare the value at customs, pay a small amount of duty and off I go. I’ve never been asked about rosewood. But, even if I was asked, it wouldn't have been an issue as it’s perfectly legal.

It’s a pretty straightforward process to apply for the certification and then ship any guitar to anywhere in the world. I shipped a vintage Gibson from Vancouver, through the USA and on to the Netherlands and the CITES process was a breeze.

I just read a blurb on Facebook indicating that CITES is being liberalized which should allow more guitars to use rosewood fingerboards.

I just read a blurb on Facebook indicating that CITES is being liberalized which should allow more guitars to use rosewood fingerboards.

– Don Birchett

One of the (many) great things about NAMM and the NAMM Show is the International Coalition Meeting that always takes place the day before the event opens. The trade bodies from all over the world, plus other key interested industry and educational partners meet and share current issues and lobbying efforts to create more music makers and to protect and support the music industry. A special focus was given to the forthcoming CITES meeting in Sri Lanka in May this year. The lobbying coalition on behalf of our industry has led to the proposal to EXEMPT ROSEWOOD INSTRUMENTS from the CITES regulatory control. This formal proposal has already been nominally agreed, but needs the ratification at the meeting in May. Part of this key amendment is from the recognition by the powers that be that musical instruments were (very unfortunately) “collateral damage” in the rosewood restrictions that were chiefly aimed at stopping illegal logging in the furniture industry. Anyway, back to the proposal. The amendment is the result of a Canadian and European proposal to: • Exempt finished musical instruments containing rosewood • Exempt finished musical instrument parts containing rosewood • Exempt finished musical accessories containing rosewood There is also further detail concerning repair and warranty, 10kg limit etc. Nothing is guaranteed in this being formally adopted (or amended), but, if the proposal is implemented, it would have a major impact on the musical instrument industry.

That would be great if adopted. It really makes sense. Plus, I can start looking at non-export guitars from Japan again.

Sounds like a common-sense approach, and would clean up a lot of fear, loathing, and ambiguity.

Until some enterprising joiner devises and promotes furniture veneered with rosewood marquetry cut from guitar parts and starts importing gross tonnage of guitars, customs-free, for the material.

Register Sign in to join the conversation