Other Guitars

Heit Swept-Wing Tiki Thingy

Well.

No, I've never seen one either - and from time to time I've paid probably too much attention to Japanese guitars of the 60s.

Very interesting. I wonder who made it.

I don't know if I like it much or not. It's distinctive. If it was a new guitar, I'd think someone was dreaming. But coming from Japan in the mid-60s changes that equation. Makes it way more likable. It's even elegant, restrained, and tasteful by comparison to some of Japan's 60s exuberance.

Sound? I dunno. I count 20 frets - but even considering that's a couple short of what we're used to, it looks like an awful long way from the end of the neck to the bridge. I wonder what scale length it is - or if the scale is laid out on its geometry correctly. Note location of "bridge" pickup. It's more or less where a middle pickup would be on a triple-pupper. Not gonna be a lot of treble bite - which kinda undermines the surf/garage aesthetic the guitar otherwise satisfies. I think I've had those pickups on a guitar - and they do sound pretty fat. I don't think the guitar sounds like it looks. But it'll be distinctive.

It's in great condition. Probably maybe worth the asking price to the right Nippon-besotted collector. Mike Robinson ought to love it, and Frank Meyers.

Heit was built by Teisco for G&H Distributors in the mid-late '60's.

I own a couple myself-- typical quality for that era of Japanese guitars-- mostly budget dogs, but occasionally entirely playable when set up correctly.

Meyers’ book shows a Kawai catalog page with that very guitar, and its pickups match examples from Kawai on his pickup guide pages.

The Heil brand name was probably used on guitars from multiple builders.

Meyers’ book shows a Kawai catalog page with that very guitar, and its pickups match examples from Kawai on his pickup guide pages.

The Heil brand name was probably used on guitars from multiple builders.

– Proteus

The original Teisco company was purchased by Kawai in 1968-69, so in a manner of speaking, we're both in the ballpark.

That is a fantastic looking thing.

Even if it sounds or plays like an electrified tennis racket, that is still a phenomenal piece of man cave wall art.

Looks like something out of The Jetsons!

And you all thought only the Italians were wild in their guitar designs!

Well, they could have been copied...

I've seen something similar on the surf guitar forum, branded "Fandel":

Love that Fandel!

The Heit,not so much.

Register Sign in to join the conversation