Other Guitars

Have A Hankerin’ To Get Your Don Felder On?

You were an Eagles fan and enjoyed Don Felder's playing on the seminal hit of the 1970s, Hotel California. And you have always wanted to be able to play the introduction to that song on the 12-string guitar and then immediately switch to a six-string and crank out the lead solo refrain.

Then here is your chance. Get yourself the same model guitar that Don Felder played -- a Gibson EDS-1275 model in white. Of course, you don't want a reissue. You want the real thing -- a vintage EDS-1275. How about a 1959?

Oh yeah, there is only one small catch to it ... you will need to have a cool extra $255,000 lying about somewhere in your nightstand drawer or somewhere.

[Note: No affiliation of any kind with this seller or the sale.]

I'm more of a Lyin' Eyes guy myself, where he played all those great fills on a Tele. I don't own a Tele, but I currently have a borrowed one. Anyway, I'll probably buy that EDS-1275 later.

You were an Eagles fan

I was?

...and enjoyed Don Felder's playing on the seminal hit of the 1970s, Hotel California.

OK, I did.

And you have always wanted to be able to play the introduction to that song on the 12-string guitar and then immediately switch to a six-string and crank out the lead solo refrain.

Have not!

How about a 1959?

Oh, it's a '59! Why didn't you SAY so? A '59 ANYthing is the best, just the best.

you will need to have a cool extra $255,000 lying about somewhere in your nightstand drawer or somewhere.

OK, I'll start saving!

Thank for the PSA. Jim and I probably gonna have us a bidding war. Bring popcorn!

When I saw Felder's doubleneck at the Rock'n'Roll HOF, someone put the capo on the 6 string neck.

That's a really cool guitar, and I'm glad it is so expensive. Eliminates any temptation.

I have the next best thing.

Well I guess Page gets more attention, etc. but to me the 6 string neck should be on top for all doublenecks.

Only about 40 of these were ever made but I want one bad and would probably raid the retirement fund for one.... well maybe not, since they never are seen... early ones had kool built in fuzz

http://vintage-guitars.blog...

Dillion used to make a nice one too, and reasonably priced:

And the Epiphone version is still in production, though only available in cherry

I have a Galveston triple neck I paid all of $800 for. What's the big deal?

You were an Eagles fan

I was?

...and enjoyed Don Felder's playing on the seminal hit of the 1970s, Hotel California.

OK, I did.

And you have always wanted to be able to play the introduction to that song on the 12-string guitar and then immediately switch to a six-string and crank out the lead solo refrain.

Have not!

How about a 1959?

Oh, it's a '59! Why didn't you SAY so? A '59 ANYthing is the best, just the best.

you will need to have a cool extra $255,000 lying about somewhere in your nightstand drawer or somewhere.

OK, I'll start saving!

Thank for the PSA. Jim and I probably gonna have us a bidding war. Bring popcorn!

– Proteus

This was my reaction too.

My back hurts just looking at those guitars.

I'd have to opt for "Take It Easy" and "Journey of the Sorcerer" as favorites. "Journey..." was used for the intro music on BBC's Series "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy". I think it's the only purely instrumental tune the Eagles ever did.

Just found this one on eBay for a penny under $10K. A Gibson custom shop I presume:

I'm sorry. No guitar is worth $255K.

– Charlie Vegas

Certainly, for me at least, it would need some noteworthy provenance. And then it would be a stretch.

There became one of the signed ltd. (to 50) reissues available in my hometown today. The price seems not too bad at EUR 5,999 (USD 6,970). Are these really sought after?

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Gib...

I'd be afraid that becoming like an Eagle might happen, and I wouldn't want that after watching that documentary.

I have the next best thing.

– Pt

I've got one of those Agile doublenecks except mine is cherry. Solid mahagony instead of plywood mahogany like the Epi's and at 12 pounds, it doesn't really feel that heavy given the weight is distributed over a larger area. Really good guitar for the money.

I'm sorry. No guitar is worth $255K.

– Charlie Vegas

Paging Jim Irsay.

I once restrung a Gibson doubleneck - the SG style one in cherry red. What a PITA! You can't use a pegwinder on the tuners on the insides. Overall the guitar did nothing for me. It took ages to sell at the local store. It ended up being heavily discounted. Does anyone still like the Eagles??

Sometimes it takes a bold brash Aussie to point out what the emperor is wearing.

Sometimes it takes a bold brash Aussie to point out what the emperor is wearing.

– Proteus

Just callsem like I seesem, sir.

Finally, the guitar that "Hotel California" came from!

For decades we have been seeking this, now we can destroy the source of the evil! According to the ancient scrolls, recently discovered in Winslow, Arizona, that should break the spell and we can be free again!

Now, if they had the Les Paul that he used for "Already Gone", that would be different. Still not worth that kind of cash, but different.

Register Sign in to join the conversation