Other Guitars

Harmony Guitars and amps

Sorry if this is old news. But this stuff looks really cool. The les paul style guitar looks cool, and the Series 6 amp sounds and looks cool as beans.

I hope hope hope they keep the prices down. But made in Michigan and amp is handwired, so might by pricey.

https://www.guitarworld.com...

That would be an oxymoron --- Harmony guitars were always known as cheap. Having them pricey would be kinda like Ford coming out with a "Luxury model Edsel."

In the amp link, I found it interesting that they only showed '60s guitars.

By the way, Edsels were more luxurious than your run of the mill Ford sedan, but not as nice as a Lincoln.

The Harmony Sovereign acoustics were nice. Had a lot of features impossible to buy today. Stratotones were nice too.

I tried them at the Nam show and although I wasn’t crazy about the guitars, I really liked the large amplifiers. The reverb and tremolo was fantastic

They reissued my personal favorite, the H-62 some time back. Seems inexpensive, I have no experience with them.

My first American guitar was a Harmony H75 (six knobs and three switches -- wow!) bought new in Liverpool in early 1963. It cost £99, which was a lot for an 18-year-old back then. One year later I traded it for a blonde ES330.

They reissued my personal favorite, the H-62 some time back. Seems inexpensive, I have no experience with them.

– spike

Pups sound a bit tame on this clip, but who can tell? My guess is that they are pretty generic under the hood, wouldn't you think?

all the old names have come back in some form or another. I'm ok with it.

Apparently the prototype guitars at the NAMM show were made at the Heritage factory. Have no idea if that practice will continue, the new Harmony people will have their own production facility or if guitar production will be contracted overseas. The solid bodies are still pretty simple bolt necks.

The new harmony company is different from the on that started up a few years ago. This one is based out of Singapore.

Lots of people are resurrecting old company names these days. In Gretsch's case, it's owned by the same family and the attention to detail and quality is as good, or better, than in the past. That's atypical. Others just use the names they've bought relying on the cachet of the old name to sell often inferior or overpriced products that bear only a superficial resemblance to those of days gone by. There are companies that use their own name, but make copies of guitars from other companies. A lot of it is based on nostalgia, or on the fact that some old guitars and gear are nearly impossible to find, or command huge amounts of money for museum pieces. As long as you realize that the $800 Selmer Macaferri you got isn't an original that goes for $50K, you're fine. None of them are built in the same factory or by the same folks that made them in the past. YMMV, and Caveat Emptor as always.

Apparently the prototype guitars at the NAMM show were made at the Heritage factory. Have no idea if that practice will continue, the new Harmony people will have their own production facility or if guitar production will be contracted overseas. The solid bodies are still pretty simple bolt necks.

– Gretschadelphia

From article: "Harmony will be producing these guitars in Kalamazoo, Michigan, along with a range of new combo amps, cabs, heads and a reissue of the classic 8418 Harmony amp."

But of course, things change.

From article: "Harmony will be producing these guitars in Kalamazoo, Michigan, along with a range of new combo amps, cabs, heads and a reissue of the classic 8418 Harmony amp."

But of course, things change.

– Jopapa

Well that is telling me they are going to be subbed out to Heritage for manufacture....which is not a bad thing. I get a feeling that the price will reflect their USA manufacture. Glad they are being made in the good old USA......probably very nice but not doing anything for me. Original Harmonies were pretty much "student" or "budget" guitars except for a few models; that would be hard to do at a price point to compete with Asian imports these days so it looks like the company is going in a different direction. Would love to see them be successful.

Pups sound a bit tame on this clip, but who can tell? My guess is that they are pretty generic under the hood, wouldn't you think?

– Strummerson

When this demonstrator picks behind the bridge pup the tone is horrid - not worth listening to, having little amplified sound to it and poor acoustic flavor. I hear a nice jazz tone though when he occasionally strums between both pups.

I like the tone better in this clip. No as nice as a Gretsch but palatable.

Found it interesting that they do show a couple of old H75s as background for the pictures on site, not a current production of course.

If I could get one, made by Heritage, at a decent price ... that might really be cool. Has to be an H-76 tho', that was my first guitar.

Register Sign in to join the conversation