Other Guitars

Guitars You Like But No One Else Seems to Like

The Fly does play great. I suppose the shape is "weird," but I like it. Great design aesthetically, and of course the guitar is a masterpiece of engineering.

My problem when I tried one was that it seemed to be a tone-free zone. The strings vibrated, and it made sounds, but overall it seemed to me without character. The apotheosis of generic.

Ought to be a fabulous pedal platform and amp chameleon.

There seems to be polar division on the Gibson L5s. I have two of them and they are both two of the most wonderful guitars I have ever played. I've loved the L5s since I first played one around 1977. Because of the shape many people associate them with Les Paul tone which they definitely don't have, and people who want their Les Paul tone, typically don't like them. Some even refer to them as sterile. And many are heavy due to the solid maple body and less routing than you would find on a two pickup LP! Fortunately, mine are lower weight models (9.2 and 9.8 pounds). Tonewise they are more clear sounding and when played through distortion they seem to hold their clarity! I also love the slinky necks which can be set to the lowest action because of the neck stability (3 piece maple) and the low/wide frets. And a biggie, I LOVE the aesthetics of the L5s!!! Here's mine...

I’ve banished the oddballs into this far corner of the guitar room because I’m ashamed of them. But I also love them.

Charvel San Dimas - Big hair and spandex optional.

Daneledtro 56 baritone - Adds meat sauce to my spaghetti western.

Mosrite Ventures II - Doesn’t cowabunga, just gabba gabba hey.

Many of the candidates in this thread seem a stretch to me: to say nobody likes a particular guitar raises questions of context (ie, I'm pretty sure everybody likes Rics over at RicResource) and maybe geography - or era of musical interest. One way to gauge interest in any brand, past or present, is to see how much activity there is on a website dedicated to that brand. (A flawed metric for sure, since the GDP now struggles to reach 25 active topics a day - and an awful lot of people like Gretschs.) Another way is to see how the brand sells on Reverbay, and whether values have appreciated.

By those standards, my 70s-80s Matsumoku Electra/Westone dedication seems relatively lonely (I have 14, the dedicated website is all but moribund, and I'm still waiting for collector values to take off and fund my retirement), and my three-strong Wurlitzer (yes, guitar) hoard is out of all proportion to general interest in the brand. (But prices have gotten crazy in the last few years, so maybe word has gotten out. Hah!) There is a website, but it's been unchanged for decades.

I don't know what to make of my 60s Japanese Fujigen FV4 baritone (tuned standard). I've had two. My first electric, 1968-ish, was branded "Crestwood"; I loved it but let it go because I'd got the Wurlitzer, and who has two electric guitars? The second (branded "Kingston") I bought a couple of years ago to finally replace the first. They're the only two I've ever seen, and it's hard to find info about the model even among the Japanese 60s dudes. But does it count if there were never enough of them in the first place for "no one" to like?

Anyway, no one but no one evinces much affection for Jay Turser - but I bravely maintain that under its original ownership (see? I clearly know too much about the brand), numerous interesting and very well made guitars were offered, at silly low prices. Durned if I don't have four of those.

As I found when I sold my first one (because my second one played better), there's less than zero market interest in the Kona Artist A/E acoustic: I could have got as much from the hardshell case alone as I got with the guitar in it. But I still consider it a gorgeous instrument, and after a setup my second one plays like the proverbial dream. No point selling it for 100.00 when it handles and sounds like a far more expensive guitar. With its great looks, it's an ideal gig acoustic.

Then there are the Carlo Robellis. No website commemorates Sam Ash's long-time house brand, and we might conclude "no one" likes them. But those of us who have nice ones will stand up in their defense.

The discussion is interesting, though, when it turns to generally-unloved models by widely-adopted brands.

The 225 is an interesting Gibson choice - I agree that it's a completely wonderful spec. But it can't compare with the what's-wrong-with-me loneliness of models like the Sonex, the Corvus, Gibson's occasional attempts at Fenderism, and the 300 Firebird Xs a group of idiots at Gibson thought it would be cool to bulldoze.

Not to mention the Barney Kessel. Please don't mention the Barney Kessel. And DON'T SHOW ME ONE. It hurts my eyes. I'm afraid of it. I don't think even Barney liked it.

Among Gretschs, I concur that anything with a Florentine cutaway is a red-headed black sheep that most Gretschers look on with skepticism, if not disdain or ridicule. Y'all keep bragging about the 6120N, and I've seen'em - and I'm afraid to pick one up for fear the pointy cutaway will hurt me. I'll take you at your word that they're great guitars. Likewise Beasts and Committees and the hockey stick. They say Gretsch on them, but I can't believe the rest of the Gretsch family lets them get away with it. "That's the weird branch of the family. We only associate with them at reunions, and even then we try to stay away."

Fender has had plenty of little-loved orphans. Starcaster, anyone? Even the hallowed status of the Coronado clan seems suspect when its defenders doth protest too much, and everyone else stays away in droves. If you drive one of those, you're on the wrong side of the road. And what were those 80s Fender shapers? Performer? Anyone love those?

More recently, there's the short-lived Marauder, with its own unique offset body, a P90, and a TRIPLEbucker. I have one, and absolutely love it. Absolutely no one is plotting to steal it from me.

You know the one about the accordianist in a polka band who was driving home from a gig on the freeway in Minnesota, right? He was getting drowsy and pulled into a roadside rest offering free coffee. While at the welcome station filling up, he suddenly realized he'd left the back window of his Rambler station wagon down (trying to stay awake), and his accordian was in the back. He ran back to the car, and, sure enough, someone had thrown another damn accordian in there.

That's how you know when you really have an unloved instrument.

– Proteus

Proteus, I also enjoy playing my Lake Placid Blue Fender Marauder. Here's what it sounds like on the Triplebucker bridge pickup straight into a Peavey Valve King head and Carvin 4X12 with the gain at about 2 and reverb at 4. (Sorry it took so long to reply, had to figure out how to embed a Facebook video).

Seriously looking at a Gretsch BST. Not very Gretschy but seems like a great rock-n-roll guitar. Kim Shattuck used one a lot.

I'd love a Gibson L5S. I once had a '70s Ibanez 'lawsuit' replica -- beautifully made but it weighed a ton. Only the weird pickups fell short of those on the Gibson.

I've never wanted a Gibson Flying V -- except the V2 with its boomerang pickups and sculpted body. I'd still like one of those.

Yep, a Gibson V2 and an L5S for Christmas please.

This Eastwood Surfcaster is a buncha fun and it has, in my world, a valid voice of its own in my stash.

I really love “wrong” guitars. I have a HsinMi, a Marauder Modern Player and a DiPinto.

Fetish Guitars on facebook shows you the best weird guitars you have ever seen. Russia and Italy made the nicest.

I really love “wrong” guitars. I have a HsinMi, a Marauder Modern Player and a DiPinto.

Fetish Guitars on facebook shows you the best weird guitars you have ever seen. Russia and Italy made the nicest.

– Geoff_Vane

Geoff, we do need pictures of your wrong guitars ofcourse!

I’d make the case that Teisco’ s don’t get anywhere near the respect they deserve. I love my Spectrum 5.

I never even saw one in person but like the 6120 N. Just seems like a great guitar.

– Baba Joe

Yes........ Me too.

Well around here everyone has Telecaster Tunnel Vision -- there is Nothing Else. I used to be like that up until very early this century when I grew up. But I love the Hi Lo Tenny but no one else around here would dare be seen with one.

– DCBirdMan

I had a HiLo Annie that was the Gretschiest Gretsch that ever Gretsched. Used it with a BF Bassman and absolutely nailed the classic middle position 6120 sound. They didn't get much love bitd, and not much more now, but that thing was boss.

Yes........ Me too.

– senojnad

I believe Fritz owns one. I drool over it at every Roundup.

I'd love a Gibson L5S. I once had a '70s Ibanez 'lawsuit' replica -- beautifully made but it weighed a ton. Only the weird pickups fell short of those on the Gibson.

I've never wanted a Gibson Flying V -- except the V2 with its boomerang pickups and sculpted body. I'd still like one of those.

Yep, a Gibson V2 and an L5S for Christmas please.

– Dave_K

Here ya go Dave,it's a bit pricey though!

https://www.guitarguitar.co...

Gibson J-15 acoustic. Not that weird, but certainly doesn’t get the respect it deserves, IMHO.

I really like a lot of these! 6120N, Tennessean (Rose) with Hi-Los (I even have one) and a Fender Jaguar was my first guitar lust!

I just registered for the site, primarily because I'm in total agreement w/your choice!

I just recently purchased a sunburst Super Astrotone and it is one of those guitars that you only put down when your hand/arm is tired from constant "fiddling" - outside of the switches not working (project in progress) and the wonky vibrato setup I have absolutely no complaints.

I have a few Zemaitis guitars which I'm sure many think are over the top...

CS22MF DCPNT custom shop with dragon pickups, A22MF NT fret model with Tyson Tone Lab pickups, SUJ100LTD13 with MR2000SB pickups (Dearmond Style)

DF3200

A24MF fret model https://i.imgur.com/AfuXKda...

Oh, I like'm pretty good. I always had the sense they must be heavy, but that's probably just the brain automatically associating the appearance of metal with weight, without considering that they just have a thin plate on the top.

Or are they heavy?

I'm not always a fan of dense ornamentation, but the tooling in the metal does appeal to me.

Also, gosh, I failed to respond to Jack's post of months ago.

I’d make the case that Teisco’ s don’t get anywhere near the respect they deserve. I love my Spectrum 5.

An original? I have the Eastwood re-issue and like it better than I should - plays great, sounds springy, and smells delightful. But it's not really stereo, it just has two identical outputs.

I understand the original is true stereo - 3 strings to one output, the other three to the other? That's what I hoped to get in the Eastwood.

For such an elongated body, with such exaggerated cutaways, it really does sit well ergonomically, and is comfortable to play.

I have a few Zemaitis guitars which I'm sure many think are over the top...

CS22MF DCPNT custom shop with dragon pickups, A22MF NT fret model with Tyson Tone Lab pickups, SUJ100LTD13 with MR2000SB pickups (Dearmond Style)

DF3200

A24MF fret model https://i.imgur.com/AfuXKda...

– Daniel Weldon

For those who may think the Zemaitis models are "over the top"... I submit my cherished Teye guitars, the Jazz Cat and Coyote. Bold and beautiful... and they play incredibly!

When I was much younger, I gave Tony(not Richard!) Zemaitis a call in his shop and we talked for an hour about his guitars.

A very nice gent.

For those who may think the Zemaitis models are "over the top"... I submit my cherished Teye guitars, the Jazz Cat and Coyote. Bold and beautiful... and they play incredibly!

– kc_eddie_b

The hollow Teye looks cool, how does the Filters work with the Mojo knob? Are you loving it?

I owned one of the first E series La Llama flametops, here it is...

No Tim, they aren't heavy, all of mine were picked to be light, the heaviest one, (the disctop) is a little over 9 lbs, but all the others are 8.4 lbs or lighter. They all are African Mahogany vs the Honduran Tony Z used in the 70's. Most of the originals were heavier than mine by at least a pound.

Except for the custom shop model they are all modified to my liking (new VIP pots 500K, .015 and .022 PIO caps, Switchcraft 3 way switch, Puretone output jack, Gotoh 21:1 engraved tuners, Tyson Tone Lab Precious and Grace pickups, except for one, that has MR2000SB DeArmond Style pickups, Q-parts knobs).

Register Sign in to join the conversation