Other Guitars

Guitars you can only buy in Japan…

I saw this recently on Ishibashi's website. It's made in Japan for Schecter and looks very nice indeed. As far as I can work out it's basically a single-cut 335, which is something I would love. Yes I know Gibson make the 135 but that has a maple neck. This Schecter appears to have a mahogany neck and SD Seth Lover pickups. It's used for around US$1000ish, which looks like a pretty good deal.

Has anyone ever seen this outside Japan? I'd love to know more about it from someone who has actually played one!

Link if anyone is interested: http://store.ishibashi.co.j...

I find it amazing all the different versions of Gretsch guitars available for the Japanese market.

Not meaning to derail from the above posting.

That's no derail - that's well within the spirit of my post. I actually meant to be open to whatever other cool looking guitars are available in Japan and nowhere else. And anyway, you're Deed. Deed is allowed to derail. Everyone knows that.

As far as I can work out it's basically a single-cut 335, which is something I would love.

Not to re-derail, but that remark made me think of the Gibson Tennessean. Longer scale and wider nut, but structurally, pretty much a single-cut 335.

Seems like a lot of guitars that catch my eye on Ebay are out of Japan.

Hey Afire - I have played a few of those Gibson Tennesseans. Cool guitars and fantastic for fingerpicking. But they sound a lot different from a 335. I was surprised how different. You'd think it would be a lot closer.

Some of my fav Fender designs come out of Fender Japan...like the TN-SPL

I find it amazing all the different versions of Gretsch guitars available for the Japanese market.

Not meaning to derail from the above posting.

– Deed Eddy

Any links to these?

Hey Afire - I have played a few of those Gibson Tennesseans. Cool guitars and fantastic for fingerpicking. But they sound a lot different from a 335. I was surprised how different. You'd think it would be a lot closer.

– JimmyR

Hi Jimmy. Could you please describe the difference in tone?

I've been there. Too many custom guitars only available in Japanese market—Gretsches, Gibsons, Charvels etc-etc.

Too bad they're very polite to ask you not to take photos. I've seen pink double cut Electromatics in gold hardware, 6120s in varying colors and finish, Falcons in different configs—very beautiful.

The price is astronomical though. You think it's cheaper since it's made there, you're wrong.

But one good thing about the sales people—they treat you like a king. I entered a room full of Gibsons—they'll ask you to pick and play any you fancy. ANY.

Being a polite person and poor, I simply replied, "I'm just looking."

One time I was decided (somewhat) to buy a Jet, I browse on their website, it was there, went to their shop and asked for it—poor kid can't find in their inventory after I told it's available on their site—he bowed in front of me, apologizing for the error.

Man, that's top notch service!

Hey Sascha - how to describe the sound of the Gibson Chets? Well they have the longer scale and ebony boards, so the sound has less mids focus. They are kinda clearer and more precise sounding, but still have a soft low end. They don't quite twang like a Gretsch but do have a rich low end. Where a 335 is all warm and smooshy (great term, huh?) the Chets are harder and more percussive. It's difficult to explain!

I doubt you would choose a Gibson Chet to play Chicago blues. It would be hard work. But to play Chet style or Travis picking they work extremely well. There is less compression to the feel and more pop. Sorry, that's the best I can do!

Thanks, Jimmy. That actually helps. And it fits into my shelf of experience. My longer scale Country Club is huge but has a certain clarity and attack in it that makes it stand out from a regular shorter scale 6120 with otherwise almost identical features (apart from the body size). I wonder if the pickups in the Gibson Chets are standard but I'm sure I could just google this.

So, this isn't a thread about really museum quality vintage American guitars?

The Gibson Tennesseans have the same pickups as the Gibson Country Gentlemans. They have Gibson 492R neck and 490T bridge humbucking pickups installed.

– JimmyR

Those pups are the same I believe, as the ones in the Gibson Country Gent. (that I have). When Gibson made the Gent for Chet he didn't like the standard pup they put in so that's why he put a Ray Butts pup in the neck position. When Gibson changed the pup to where he liked it, he took the Butts out and put the Gibson in. At Chet's suggestion, Gibson had tried to work a deal with Ray but he wanted too much for an endorsement contract so they never came to terms. I expect these are the same pups they put in the Tennessean when it came out later on.

It just goes to show they're only human. Even though Japanese craftsmen pay so much attention to detail, they still sometimes make one backwards.

...which raises an interesting point. Guitar cases open the way they do so you can remove the guitar easily with the right hand and it's in the correct position for playing. So are lefty cases available...?

But a very good derail.

My nephew's going to Japan this week. Does anyone one have any recommendations for guitar stores?

If he's going to Tokyo, just take the local train to Ochanomizu, get out at the Ochanomizu Bridge exit and walk around. You'll find several from the large Japanese stores to small private dealers.

https://www.google.com/maps...

I want this one, Rick 360C63 6 string R tail Japan only model.

It just goes to show they're only human. Even though Japanese craftsmen pay so much attention to detail, they still sometimes make one backwards.

– JimmyR

Thanks for the chuckle Jimmy.

Register Sign in to join the conversation