Other Guitars

Guitar You Wish You Had Back

Best shot I can find of the Paramount.

I've had several that got away, mostly due to divorce-induced financial stress.Then later on spent considerably more for replacements (I'm on my fifth Les Paul and second WF). If I could borrow Doc Brown's DeLorean I'd d*mn the temporal paradoxes and get my younger self's "maahnd raaht"!

I sold my Squier Affinity Tele that I stripped and refinished in ReRanch TV Yellow. I also swapped the pickups for Bill Lawrence Wilde Keystone Telecaster pickups. I remember being completely fine with it when I sold it but sometimes I wish I still had it.

I wish I hadn't sold this 2006 Highway 1 Texas Tele. I found a sunburst model a few years ago, but it had been modded and relic'd in a bad way. It's a fine guitar, but I wish I still had the blonde with all the original piece parts.

Only for sentimental reasons, I would like to have my first electric, a Crown Professional from the mid 60's.

A 1960 Gibson Melody Maker I bought in the early 70s and sold in the 90s. Great fun little guitar to play.

A 1978 Gibson ES-175CC. That pickup was heavenly.

I miss two Gretsches, too, but not as much, even though they were my first and second Gretsches: My 196? Astro-Jet was stolen back in '81, and I sold my 1967 Nashville. I loved everything about the Astro-Jet except the Burns vibrato; the Nashville was just fine, but I needed something different for the band I was in.

Do you still have that Strat Jim?

As for me, I'd have to say a cherry red 63/64 ES335 that I sold in the late 80s. Not because I liked it that much, but because it would now be so valuable I could sell it to buy something like an early Goldtop or a really fine vintage Tele.

Never regretted selling anything else.

Do you still have that Strat Jim?

As for me, I'd have to say a cherry red 63/64 ES335 that I sold in the late 80s. Not because I liked it that much, but because it would now be so valuable I could sell it to buy something like an early Goldtop or a really fine vintage Tele.

Never regretted selling anything else.

– Shuggie

I do still have the Strat. It's the only one of the three I still have.

And probably the best one to have kept. What year is it?

I also have a short kick-my-own-@$$ list...

‘61 Rickenbacker 450 in Mapleglo

‘66 Tennessean

‘50 ES-140

All from the first stash that I built up from ‘88 to ‘90.

1963 natural finish Gibson ES330 bought new at Cranes, Liverpool, back in the day.

I had a Fender Tele that was pretty cool, even if I didn’t like the tone. I would have liked to tinker with it to get it where I wanted sonically, but I wanted a nicer acoustic more.

I think the one I miss the most was an Ibanez RG7620. It was a seven string and nifty as hell, but it had a Floyd and those things were always a pain for me. If anything, I wish I had held onto it to trade for an RG7621 which was a hard tail.

Overall, I’m pretty good with my guitar decisions. I certainly liked an aspect of a guitar, but couldn’t get over X. It’s been a real learning experience.

And probably the best one to have kept. What year is it?

– Shuggie

It's an early 59. The body had been stripped when I traded for it in 1976 but I had it refinned back to sunburst in the early 80s. Everything original except for the frets and the six screws holding down the trem plate.

Gretsch County Club with Dynas. Natural blonde. It’s the one about 12 or so years ago that was not officially on the books so it wasn’t ever made although it was. Foolish to sell it.

I also had a Rick 620 that I loved, but all of the lacquer on the neck turned sticky and came off...

???

So I sold it pretty cheap. Loved the guitar, but that ticked me off.

Did I mention my tele-sonic?

K

Register Sign in to join the conversation