Other Guitars

Guild X-175 2020

I wouldn't bet on it. The guitar marketing geniuses still seem to think of those epi "flamekat" guitars as the epitome of Rockabilly cool, I believe.

– WB

True. I was just hoping that the "special edition" aspect of it was the color, and not the pickups.

Just curious...who made the Dynasonics on the X-160 Guild Rockabilly models of the 90s and early 2000s? They have the bevelled slugs like vintage ones and not the sharp edges magnets like the ones on Gretsches of the same period.

Just curious...who made the Dynasonics on the X-160 Guild Rockabilly models of the 90s and early 2000s?

Fender. Guild was FMIC-owned at the time

I alsways thought the pups in the X160 Rockabilly were the same DeArmond 2000’s as the G512x Electromatics except for the color.

I alsways thought the pups in the X160 Rockabilly were the same DeArmond 2000’s as the G512x Electromatics except for the color.

– Charlie Vegas

That's what I thought, too. Funnily and even more confusing the Fender Telesonic seemed to have 2Ks IIRC.

P.S. X-160 inside:

Here's a good link to anything you need to know about the guitar with many good pics. https://chasingguitars.com/...

That's what I thought, too. Funnily and even more confusing the Fender Telesonic seemed to have 2Ks IIRC.

P.S. X-160 inside:

Here's a good link to anything you need to know about the guitar with many good pics. https://chasingguitars.com/...

– sascha

Great link, thanks

This is super off-topic, but what the heck.

I owned an orange X160 for a few years after having some very bad experiences with a couple pre-FMIC Gretsches. I know it's often stated around here that the pre-FMIC Gretsches were of the same quality as the FMIC Gretsches, but mine were dogs.

I owned the X160 at a particularly happy and exciting time in my life. After struggling with tones from my Gretsches, the X160 had the tone I'd been looking for from Filtertrons for a few years.

Anyway, every time I see an X160 I get warm feelings of nostalgia and I'm always tempted to try and find one for sale. I just love them.

This is super off-topic, but what the heck.

I owned an orange X160 for a few years after having some very bad experiences with a couple pre-FMIC Gretsches. I know it's often stated around here that the pre-FMIC Gretsches were of the same quality as the FMIC Gretsches, but mine were dogs.

I owned the X160 at a particularly happy and exciting time in my life. After struggling with tones from my Gretsches, the X160 had the tone I'd been looking for from Filtertrons for a few years.

Anyway, every time I see an X160 I get warm feelings of nostalgia and I'm always tempted to try and find one for sale. I just love them.

– Dhdfoster

Lovely looking guitars those x-160 rockabillys. Just wondering are they nitro or poly finish do you know?

Lovely looking guitars those x-160 rockabillys. Just wondering are they nitro or poly finish do you know?

– tabletop

Data sheet says: thin Polyurethane finish

Data sheet says: thin Polyurethane finish

– sascha

I wonder which version this data sheet is for. I thought that the first version, pre-Fender and built in Westerly, had a nitro finish.

FYI: Dearmond 2k are not the same as the 200 pickups. The former being on the Fender telesonic and many Dearmond guitars.

The 2000 pickups on this new Guild are one reason I'd like to try it. They're not the same as the original or reissue dynasonics, but do sound quite good in their own way. The price is not right though. I'll wait for used.

I wonder which version this data sheet is for. I thought that the first version, pre-Fender and built in Westerly, had a nitro finish.

– Dhdfoster

Fender bought Guild in '95 and the Westerly-built X160's were FMIC products. When they moved production to Corona they also built X160's there.

Fender bought Guild in '95 and the Westerly-built X160's were FMIC products. When they moved production to Corona they also built X160's there.

– Jeff H

Even though both were FMIC I believe there are differences in construction.

Great link, thanks

– 949Norm

Isn‘t this a page by a GDP member?

– Jeff H

Doh! You’re right. I should have said pre-Corona.

Register Sign in to join the conversation