Other Guitars

Guild X-175B Manhattan

I'm really happy with my new Guild. Besides 2 minor finish flaws this guitar oozes class and I can't see a significant difference to a Proline Gretsch. It looks amazing, plays like a charm and it sounds fantastic, thanks to the great Franz reissues. Anyone knows which pots/switches/jack Guild uses on NS models?

A Guild and Swart Space Tone a great combination. I have been exceptionally happy with both of mine as well. The build quality on my guild T 50 is perfect. I agree It's as nice is my pro line Country club.

Congrats bamboobast! Why's the thread doubled???

A Guild and Swart Space Tone a great combination. I have been exceptionally happy with both of mine as well. The build quality on my guild T 50 is perfect. I agree It's as nice is my pro line Country club.

– bamboobast

Looks like you swapped the Franz for a Lollar gold foil. Why?

Looks like you swapped the Franz for a Lollar gold foil. Why?

– Charlie Vegas

The original pickup was a bit too punchy for the kind of thing I'm using this guitar for. And I've always wanted to try out one of the Jason Loller Gold foils. I do a lot of fingerpicking and strumming with this one.

The original pickup was a bit too punchy for the kind of thing I'm using this guitar for. And I've always wanted to try out one of the Jason Loller Gold foils. I do a lot of fingerpicking and strumming with this one.

– bamboobast

So?....What do you think about the Lollar gold foil?

So?....What do you think about the Lollar gold foil?

– Charlie Vegas

I like it a lot. It has a wide range to work with. Turning down the volume on the guitar gives me beautifully delicate articulation of note as well as Full on strumming as if it were an acoustic guitar. Running up the volume progressively heightens the contrasts in that definition in a linear fashion for the lead lines to cut through. I know this sounds like every other pick up you ever played but I think the overall impression is that the highs and lows are delicately balanced and accurate.

Congrats on a great guitar. It must sound great with your Swart. I also have a Guild Newark St X175B and love it to death. Not sure about the switches, but I'm almost certain the pots are 500K fullsize Alphas. The pots on mine a have a nice smooth feel to them....not too loose and not too tight. Being the owner of a Pro Series Gretsch, I would say the Newark St X175B falls in between a Gretsch Electromatic and a MIJ Pro Series Gretsch as far as overall quality is concerned. Not quite as perfectly finished as a Pro Series Gretsch but there's no denying that the X175B has one of the best feeling necks I've ever played....on any guitar. Also, kudos to Guild for having the stock TOM style bridge saddles perfectly radiused to match the 9.5" fretboard radius and including a nice TKL HSC just like the Pro Series Gretsches.

A lot of Guild fans here. Nice guitar. Wish they would put the Bigsby on the sunburst model or at least make the Guildsby available.

A lot of Guild fans here. Nice guitar. Wish they would put the Bigsby on the sunburst model or at least make the Guildsby available.

– Don Birchett

I was lucky enough to pick up a brand new, unused Guildsby a couple years ago. After Fender sold Guild to Cordoba, a number of these showed up for a very fair price on ebay. It looks just right on my sunburst X-175.

Not sure they're as easy to come by nowadays, so I'm glad I got one when I did.

I was lucky enough to pick up a brand new, unused Guildsby a couple years ago. After Fender sold Guild to Cordoba, a number of these showed up for a very fair price on ebay. It looks just right on my sunburst X-175.

Not sure they're as easy to come by nowadays, so I'm glad I got one when I did.

– built4speed

Thanks Guys! @built4speed: do you still play 11s on your Guild? I wonder if the Franz Pkups are also cool with 10s which I'm more used to...

Congrats on a great guitar. It must sound great with your Swart. I also have a Guild Newark St X175B and love it to death. Not sure about the switches, but I'm almost certain the pots are 500K fullsize Alphas. The pots on mine a have a nice smooth feel to them....not too loose and not too tight. Being the owner of a Pro Series Gretsch, I would say the Newark St X175B falls in between a Gretsch Electromatic and a MIJ Pro Series Gretsch as far as overall quality is concerned. Not quite as perfectly finished as a Pro Series Gretsch but there's no denying that the X175B has one of the best feeling necks I've ever played....on any guitar. Also, kudos to Guild for having the stock TOM style bridge saddles perfectly radiused to match the 9.5" fretboard radius and including a nice TKL HSC just like the Pro Series Gretsches.

– Gretschadelphia

The stock bridge is okay by any means and pretty rare with the 9.5" radius, but I've swapped it for a 9.5" stainless steel Tru Arc- you'll get more sustain, more overtones and a trustful tuning stability! Great!

Thanks Guys! @built4speed: do you still play 11s on your Guild? I wonder if the Franz Pkups are also cool with 10s which I'm more used to...

– Stefan

I do still play 11s on it. I'm starting to experiment a but with 10s on my hollow bodies, but for the time being I prefer 11s on the Guild.

It's interesting, I was just taking a second look at these yesterday, the tatted up guy on YouTube that does the demonstrations really makes them sound good, but honestly, at the price point I was wondering what the build quality would be like, sounds like its pretty good according to you guys

Build quality is spot on, you've gotta live with minor finishing flaws. I like 'em a lot, Pick ups are great, real good hardware and super necks. And they're built nearly 1:1 to the old originals!

Build quality is excellent. Workmanship on mine was very clean. I did have my tech lower the nut slots a bit (comes stock w/ bone nut, another nice detail) and it plays like a dream. Regarding Stefan's string gauge question, I use 10-46's on mine with a pretty straight neck and low action (4/64ths low E @ the 12th fret; high E a hair lower) and it still sounds big, clear, and fat. I do recommend pure nickel wound strings with those Franz big single coils. And again that neck....what a great feeling neck.

The stock bridge is okay by any means and pretty rare with the 9.5" radius, but I've swapped it for a 9.5" stainless steel Tru Arc- you'll get more sustain, more overtones and a trustful tuning stability! Great!

– Stefan

Now you've got me thinking about getting a Tru Arc

I have a Blonde one I'm putting up for sale shortly for $850, plus shipping and is basically new and still has the plastic on the pickguard. Let me know if you are interested.

I also went back to 10/46 and it sounds great!

Register Sign in to join the conversation