Other Guitars

Guild A-150 vs. D’Angelico EX-1

Can anybody tell me the difference between the A150 and the X175(harp tailpiece)?

– Rockabilly_Nick

A-150 is an acoustic arch top with a floating pickup. X-175 is an electric arch top.

Oh jeez, thanks. In looking at the two I’m not sure why I was unable to figure that out given my typical obsession with guitar specs. Brain fart!

Interestingly, the Newark Street archtops (sounds like a band's name), the Korean D'Angelicos and our own Electromatic archtops are all made by SPG Guitars in Incheon, Korea.

At least I find that interesting.

Interestingly, the Newark Street archtops (sounds like a band's name), the Korean D'Angelicos and our own Electromatic archtops are all made by SPG Guitars in Incheon, Korea.

At least I find that interesting.

– Don Birchett

Had no idea it was made in Incheon. Incheon formerly known as Inchon which was a very famous battle during the Korean War. General MacArthur was one of the commanders of that battle. Who knew back in the 50s that, that battle site would make some mighty fine American brand guitars.

For information, the D'Angelico EXL-1 bracing is parallel tone bars. The pickup on mine is a Kent Armstrong but as of 2018 it comes with a Seymour Duncan. Acoustically, it sounds better than some solid top I have tried. I'm still not out of D'Angelicomania, the EXL-1 being my main guitar out of about a dozen. It is well suited to my music. Here is how it sounds acoustically and amplified through a Princeton (PRRI 65).

– GG

GG what strings do you have on yours?

Nice demos. Thanks.

GG what strings do you have on yours?

Nice demos. Thanks.

– ThePolecats

The recording was made with the strings that came with the guitar. I can't recall what they were, but I would guess "pure nickel". I'll try to figure that out and get back with correct information.

Thanks.

GG, these guitars come standard with these. Well mine did but maybe it depends when yours was purchased.

GG, these guitars come standard with these. Well mine did but maybe it depends when yours was purchased.

– ThePolecats

Mine did not. D'Angelico did not have their own strings when I got it. To the best of my knowledge, it came with D'Addario EJ21, Nickel Wound, Jazz Light, 12-52.

Register Sign in to join the conversation