Other Guitars

Gibson licenses it’s brand to Echopark

I'm thinking the end game is to have all 3rd party builders making the guitars while still maintaining a custom shop much like Gretsch is currently doing.

I'm guessing there's about 5% of the population that cares about heritage and history behind the guitars we play and those that can't play hang on the wall.

The good thing is those 5% are extremely passionate people and will fight the fight for the next decade until the millennials and what ever follows them are in charge.

A millennial stopped in yesterday with his late dads 58 335 dot wanting to know its value so he could sell it. Do you play the guitar I asked? He said no he tried for a week and couldn't figure it out.

The subject matter not withstanding, this article reads like it was written by a 10th grader. For all that I know, perhaps it was written by a 10th grader.

It seems that journalistic editing is truly a lost art. I don't consider myself to be part of the internet grammar gestapo, but please, "spellcheck" is NOT an editor. There are tons of competent editors and proofreaders out there who are obviously out of work and starving.

"When you ain't got nothing, you got nothing to lose."

"tried for a week" [facepalm intensifies]

I'm thinking the end game is to have all 3rd party builders making the guitars while still maintaining a custom shop much like Gretsch is currently doing.

I'm guessing there's about 5% of the population that cares about heritage and history behind the guitars we play and those that can't play hang on the wall.

The good thing is those 5% are extremely passionate people and will fight the fight for the next decade until the millennials and what ever follows them are in charge.

A millennial stopped in yesterday with his late dads 58 335 dot wanting to know its value so he could sell it. Do you play the guitar I asked? He said no he tried for a week and couldn't figure it out.

– Curt Wilson

Tell him I got an original Artisan Gameboy, working condition, vintage, rare, collectable, in the original box with sales tags...straight up trade!

"tried for a week" [facepalm intensifies]

– macphisto

What? No instant gratification?

"He said no he tried for a week and couldn't figure it out."

Another fine example proving the old adage, "if it were easy, everyone would be doing it." What a putz!

"Tried for a week, and couldn't figure it out".

Now there's a typical millennial though process! I did the same thing, when I was 8 years old, I solved the problem by asking mom and dad for lessons. 50 years later, I'm still learning!

I have hope that Gibson will make a great comeback. They've been making some of the best guitars in the world (arguably), for generations. I know that when I have a Gibson guitar in my hands, it usually feels like something special.

I resently purchased a new 2019 Gibson Les Paul Classic, and after I set it up properly, it is delivering everything I could want in a solid body electric guitar.

Perhaps diversity is the answer to Gibsons problems. I've never seen an Echo Park guitar, but after reading the article, I can only imagine that it was a good idea to allow this high end instrument builder to use Gibsons trademarked builds. If it can help to keep Gibson alive and well, I'm all for it.

Just checked out the Echopark website. They are already making two models licensed by Gibson, a Flying V and Explorer which go for a bit over 5K w/ relicing. I am guessing that Echopark will function more as another Custom Shop for Gibson as opposed to how Terada functions for Gretsch, which is more of a high end mass production facility. It was reported last year that Gibson had laid off a bunch of Custom Shop workers so this is not surprising but very unfortunate for those who lost their jobs.

Well, to be fair, trying for a week might be a lot if it wasn't something you were particularly interested in doing in the first place. If I spent a week trying to make bread because a breakmaking machine fell into my lap and found it wasn't for me, I'd consider that a decent effort.

This is extraordinary news, given the controversy that has raged on certain other guitar forums these last few years over that shop's lengthy delivery delays and inconsistent QC.

Register Sign in to join the conversation