Other Guitars

Gibson should do more of this

Gibson, after the dust settles and the cards lay where they fall, should get back to its roots and build more guitars like this one: http://www.12fret.com/instr...

As the guitar market returns to its pre-megacorporate normality, there will be room for everyone, including Gibson, which has an identifiable design history.

In a superbly written rebuttal to the Washington Post's shallow and ill-informed article on the demise of the guitar, which they unfortunately refused to print, Michael Robinson, owner of Airline Guitars and founder of Eastwood Guitars, pointed out that the guitar market has always been about passion, not just numbers.

Could you link to the two articles you mentioned? I’d like to read both.

And yeah Gibson finding their roots would be a good idea.

No ES-350, 350t, 150 and 250 charlie christian, 125TDC, 295 or 140. Lots of ass-ugly Les Paul shaped monstrosities. I dont know if changing this would change their fortunes, but jesus, some of the junk they peddle now (in fairness, the custom shop and acoustic lines seem nice) doesn't seem to be cutting it so why not?

They should move back to Kalamazoo and start over.

Gibson, after the dust settles and the cards lay where they fall, should get back to its roots and build more guitars like this one: http://www.12fret.com/instr...

As the guitar market returns to its pre-megacorporate normality, there will be room for everyone, including Gibson, which has an identifiable design history.

In a superbly written rebuttal to the Washington Post's shallow and ill-informed article on the demise of the guitar, which they unfortunately refused to print, Michael Robinson, owner of Airline Guitars and founder of Eastwood Guitars, pointed out that the guitar market has always been about passion, not just numbers.

– Journeyman

That is indeed an elegant and classy guitar. Nut width on this original is ridiculously narrow, the reissue being much more usable. I've had experience with a narrow neck and it was a real PITA

Yes, they should return to Kalamazoo and start over. And someone please remind them that sunburst finishes aren't the only colors people like!!! Gretsch seems to be selling a lot of guitars these days with exciting finish colors that are more appealing to younger folks.

Apparently they'd rather go out of business than put anything but a sunburst finish on ALL their archtops, both electric and acoustic, but come on, at least make a natural finish an option on all models.

Here's the article from the Washington Post

I think this is the Eastwood response

– Mark Nason

Thanks for posting those links Mark. The response that you linked to is indeed on one of Eastwood/Airline's web sites, but it is not Michael Robinson's rebuttal. I don't have a link to the rebuttal, since it was not published, and I was asked not to paste the text here as it has been sent to another entity in hopes of having it published. Perhaps I should have checked first, before mentioning it here. I will see if it has been published elsewhere and get a link up if possible.

To come back to the original point, Gibson, Fender, Guild, Gretsch, and less famous brands like Airline have all made distinct contributions to design in both form and function. What I would like to see (fanciful thinking on my part?) is for every company to respect this and rather than saturate the market with innumerable variations that, to me, lessen the value of the brand, honor that intrinsic value and design new models that have a connection to the root. Of the four major brands that I mentioned, Gretsch has done the best job of maintaining brand integrity. Gibson has, dare I say, failed at this and Fender is not far behind, although they deserve credit for reissuing their classic tube amps. As a business model, the extreme expansion and aggressive acquisition by large marketing companies has failed and the chickens are coming home to roost. As the size of the guitar market returns to normal (pre 1990s) it will hopefully allow small retailers to once again flourish, and create a healthy, competitive market, free of extreme greed and monopoly.

They should move back to Kalamazoo and start over.

– Billy Zoom

Isn't Heritage using part of the old Gibson factory?

Isn't Heritage using part of the old Gibson factory?

– wabash slim

Over at the Heritage forum they have noted that Heritage has suspended production of some of the higher end models like the Super Eagle while the company improves quality and the manufacturing methods and processes. The new owners seem to be determined to keep the company running. Dealing with the old owners was a PITA. I ordered a vintage sunburst guitar and 6 months later a vintage natural finished one showed up.

Over at the Heritage forum they have noted that Heritage has suspended production of some of the higher end models like the Super Eagle while the company improves quality and the manufacturing methods and processes. The new owners seem to be determined to keep the company running. Dealing with the old owners was a PITA. I ordered a vintage sunburst guitar and 6 months later a vintage natural finished one showed up.

– Carterhall

Maybe the new owners will acquire the Gibson guitar line; wouldn't that be a full circle?

Yes, they should return to Kalamazoo and start over. And someone please remind them that sunburst finishes aren't the only colors people like!!! Gretsch seems to be selling a lot of guitars these days with exciting finish colors that are more appealing to younger folks. -- Windsordave

Yeah, cool colors that appeal to young players. Cool colors like these. Be careful what you wish for.

I don't think the color is the problem with those

I don't think the color is the problem with those

– Otter

I would suggest that the colors are not the ONLY problem with those.

One stat that I haven't seen in these types of articles about guitar companies in debt and dramatically reduced revenues is units sold. Cause one thing that I think must be making a measurable impact is the dramatically increased quality of lower priced instruments. The Electromatic line sort of fits the bill in that it's lower priced than the pro line, but they still aren't exactly 'cheap' guitars. But a more dramatic example would be to look at something like the Squier Classic Vibes. So I'm curious when they say the guitar market is shrinking, are they really selling fewer guitars?

But then still, looking at units sold still doesn't paint the full picture in that every time a Classic Vibe is sold in place of a MIM Fender, it reduces revenues but maybe not necessarily profit. I really have no idea how the profit margins change from entry level, to pro, to custom guitars.

Gibson, after the dust settles and the cards lay where they fall, should get back to its roots and build more guitars like this one...

That's one of the few classic acoustic archtops that they have actually made in recent years.

http://www.gibson.com/Produ...

This little beastie is kind of interesting, though the price is a bit much for what it is.

http://www.gibson.com/Produ...

I think it's actually a flat-top. But an interesting looking mish-mash of late '20s, early '30s appointments. And I do like a small bodied acoustic.

And who says Gibson doesn't do flashy finishes...

I love Gibson guitars. I think they look cool and most of them play fantastic. I love that they are made in the USA and use nitrocellulose finish. I did not like the 2015 models but they corrected their vision quickly. I wish I could afford a really nice ES 330, an ES 335 and a Les Paul Junior or Special, all with nice rounded 50s necks. I also wish I could get a good sound from their humbuckers.

While Gretsch's Jet line are steadily morphing into Les Pauls, Gibson comes out with this...

Floating bridge, cat's eyes, offset inlays...

It's easy to rag on Gibson's weirder offerings, but I just looked at the 2018 lineup, and I have to admit, by and large, it looks pretty solid. The 355s are giving me GAS, even the '70s-inspired one, and even though I detest Gibson 'buckers.

I love Gibson guitars....I also wish I could get a good sound from their humbuckers.

As stated above, I share that sentiment. Sometimes I fantasize about going to the dark side and switching to Gibson. Maybe that cherry 355 w/Bigsby above and putting a set of TV Classics or T-Armonds in it. Probably not going to happen. Vintage Gretsch is too much a part of my self-identity at this point.

Register Sign in to join the conversation