Other Guitars

Gibson on the brink..

...robot tuners on my drums!

I vote yes for this idea.

Even Heritage is having issues---they just fired a large portion of the manufacturing staff, and others quit in support. They added CNC and Plek technology, which isn't a bad thing, but firing the highly skilled people who actually make your product is nuts. Heritage got bought out by a real estate company, and now is partnering with another company that wants to add to the factory a performance venue and restaurant and other amenities.

Let's face it, guitar manufacturing isn't easy. Looks like Heritage is going through some changes and blood letting too.

http://www.mlive.com/news/k...

– J(ust an old Cowboy)D

Heritage, paying just over minimum wage, no health benefits, & using PLEK and CNC?
Enter the shareholders and corporate imbeciles, watch production corners being cut, indifferent woods being used, and quality going down the tubes... Another Gibson-type catastrophe in the making. The Japanese and Koreans (and soon the Chinese) do it so much cheaper, resulting in a much better guitar for less money (given good hardware)

I have 2 x 80's Japanese Epi Emperors (thinline and fatline) that are just great ( Terada factory where some of the Gretsch lines are made) and 2 Matsumoku Burny LP's and a Matsomoku Orville LP. All are excellent, and compare to my Gibson LP very favorably.. One of my Burny LP's is much better, better made and sounds great.

The only thing I didn't agree with in the Ric DiVito interview was that Gibson RD Series introduced a longer scale length in the late 70's (but they didn't appeal to the traditionalists at all, especially with their Robert Moog circuitry, so it seems that Gibson missing the market started even then ) . Otherwise it seems to me their points were all failrly spot on..

https://www.musicradar.com/...

I mean... Look at the neck on that !.. It looks like firewood that's been left too long down the toilet.. Ooooohh! I just love geetars, so I'll just have to buy one from you Henry.. (NOT!)

Heritage got bought out by a real estate company, and now is partnering with another company that wants to add to the factory a performance venue and restaurant and other amenities.

I love that idea, and apparently they would also be renovating the original building. When I see pictures of the old Gibson factory, it looks pretty sad. And it always looks like it's in some kind of hellscape, but I just poked around street view on Google maps and it actually appears to be in a perfectly fine area.

These three are technically wrong on so many issues. I don’t know who these experts are but they need to edit their video. It’s okay to have an opinion but the facts have to be correct, just ask Joe Friday.

– Curt Wilson

Which facts are you in disagreement with, Curt?

There are not as many guitars, in general, being sold. Gibson's footprint is pretty big, so that alone has to hurt. I hear lots of bad things about the management, especially Henry, but I haven't researched that for myself, but once a snowball gets to rolling downhill, it gets bigger.

Which facts are you in disagreement with, Curt?

– Ric12string

I had it on in the background and finally had to tell Siri to turn it off, I was yelling at my computer.... Many are opinions like alternate tunings, some nonsense about wood and their inventory and made up stuff about the lacquer they use.

I had it on in the background and finally had to tell Siri to turn it off, I was yelling at my computer.... Many are opinions like alternate tunings, some nonsense about wood and their inventory and made up stuff about the lacquer they use.

– Curt Wilson

I got this picture in my head of you screaming at Siri. LMAO!

...some nonsense about wood...

A guy on another forum found that irritating too and said the following:

I could only stomach about 3 minutes of that video, I killed when the guy on the right said Gibson used 100 to 150 yr old wood for the original Les Paul in 52. I can't stand listening to that kind of ignorance, but that's just me maybe. Guys with misinformation like that are a dime a dozen.

Gibson actually used a special grade of expensive mahogany, a wood that was available because of Kalamzoo's relative close proximity to big three automakers who used it in the manufacture of car parts. The automakers needed a dry stable high grade wood that wouldn't warp. So did Gibson.

They tried to use Gretsch as an example of a company who streamlines their selection. I thought that was funny. They must not have been on the Gretsch website anytime recently. I was happy they mentioned Gretsch guitars in a positive way though.

Imagine if Epiphone went back to building high quality archtops.

– Ric12string

They tried that. The Epiphone Elitist series made wonderfully high-end archtops (thank you, Terada!) for a few years --- Broadway, Byrdland, Sheraton --- but were discontinued because they were pretty much on a par with Gibson for way less money and were cutting into Gibson's sales, according to some, while others claimed that they didn't sell well enough because the Epiphone name wasn't seen as high-end. Based on the prices used Elitists are going for, I'm more inclined to believe the former.

My Elitist Broadway plays and sounds better than many Gibson L-5's I've tried. I paid $1,600 for it a few years ago ... now they regularly go for $2,400 and up used compared to $7,500 and up for a used L-5CES.

They tried to use Gretsch as an example of a company who streamlines their selection. I thought that was funny. They must not have been on the Gretsch website anytime recently. I was happy they mentioned Gretsch guitars in a positive way though.

– BuddyHollywood

And they said “Fender owns Gretsch for those that don’t know”.

Total loss of credibility.

I think Gibson will survive, just won't look like the Gibson of today, which isn't a bad thing. The whole diversification and "innovation" idea they have gone with just spelled doom. But Fender survived their own near death experience with CBS and if I remember the Baldwin/Gretsch symmetry didn't exactly work out either.

No one really wanted robot tuners or Gibson lifestyle, whatever that was. But in the short term a lot of regular folks there are going to hurt. After all who really wants to buy a Gibson right now?

The infamous "They"! Experts, every single one of 'em.

Yep Fender was on the ropes in '82 thru'84 or so and they came back.

Henry J called Gibson a "failed company" when he aqcuired it... but it isn't doing so well now.

One article states where he thinks people are still all eaten up the the 1950s mojo and vibe. I was long time ago and very few young folks give a damn about the 1950s connection. The designs were good and stood the test of time.. but that's about it. He's all eaten up with 'innovation is everything'.

They tried that. The Epiphone Elitist series made wonderfully high-end archtops (thank you, Terada!) for a few years --- Broadway, Byrdland, Sheraton --- but were discontinued because they were pretty much on a par with Gibson for way less money and were cutting into Gibson's sales, according to some, while others claimed that they didn't sell well enough because the Epiphone name wasn't seen as high-end. Based on the prices used Elitists are going for, I'm more inclined to believe the former.

My Elitist Broadway plays and sounds better than many Gibson L-5's I've tried. I paid $1,600 for it a few years ago ... now they regularly go for $2,400 and up used compared to $7,500 and up for a used L-5CES.

– Parabar

I get that the Elite/Elitist Epiphones are nice instruments, but they were hardly a high end arch top, as far as traditional wisdom dictates. They weren't carved....they were pressed. The often repeated "they were discontinued because they were too popular" is just internet hocum. They were discontinued because they hung on the walls, and didn't sell very well until GC/MF etc blew them out the door for less then half of the MAP.

Register Sign in to join the conversation