Other Guitars

Gibson offering reward $ for lost ledgers

Check this out... $59k up for grabs for whomever can return the lost Gibson factory ledgers from the late 50s.

<a href="https://nam05.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.yahoo.com%2Fentertainment%2Fgibson-pay-59-000-paperwork-163320457.html&data=02%7C01%7Ced.ball%40hallmark.com%7C4ba12ad73ddb4b1644ee08d82821ef37%7Cd271cff8445247ecb61fe20ed50d0bc7%7C0%7C0%7C637303473507427347&sdata=PTtXab9Xdg7p8aEjjkm9SgVlk6cHNo4ZKOCfZ%2BQGZ1g%3D&reserved=0" rel="nofollow">https://nam05.safelinks.pro...</a>

I would like to step-up and personally offer $59.00 for anyone who can produce the lost Gretsch production ledgers as well!

There was a WSJ article about this

https://www.wsj.com/article...

So last guitar hero on the planet Bonamassa gets the big pix

Of course lots of Gretsch info was lost in Booneville fires.

That's a crazy link Ed, I can't make head or tail of it.

They never should've left Kalamazoo.

Ask Henry Juskievicz.

Why $59K? Why not an even $60K?

Enquiring minds want to know.....

The WSJ article seems to focus on the ‘59 Les Paul so I’m guessing the $59k is a nod to that.

Only 643 LPs built in 1959 - I wonder how many still exist and of those, how many have known/documented ownership.

Only 643 LPs built in 1959 - I wonder how many still exist and of those, how many have known/documented ownership.

I wouldn't be surprized if the number is actually bigger than 643.

I’m thinking those were lost for a reason.

In the midst of a flood a certain car dealership I sold product to was instructing some of the help to roll some slow moving cars downhill into the water, about 20.

The WSJ article seems to focus on the ‘59 Les Paul so I’m guessing the $59k is a nod to that.

– Deke Martin

So if the Gibson ledgers are lost... how do we know they only made 643 LP's in '59?

I'll have those ledgers ready as soon as this ink dries...

I call it another publicity move for a company that even under new management seems to flail about with stunts and pronouncements that undermine either the company's image or its credibility (or both).

With this one, they get free features in major publications (and all the follow-ons) just by putting a cutesy dollar value on something that is no more missing now than it has been for the last 30-some years - and in the process gets to double-triple down on its "iconic" guitars and their players, and burnish the self-proclaimed reputation of the the 1959 Les Paul as "the holy grail of the electric guitar."

(And given the company's seemingly incurable propensity for suing anyONE over anyTHING - and here we always thought Henry was the one with an itchy trigger finger on the lawyers' hotline - if you had the ledgers, would you trust the company's promise to "ask no questions? Going one psychological step deeper, if you were Gibson and had just put up a Fat Reward, would you trust anyone who suddenly came up with the purported goods? To deepen the cynicism, who thinks the company would ever consider a document sufficiently authenticated to actually pay the reward?)

I call it publicity pure and simple. The background in the Rolling Stone article (which would never land in the publication without the brief headline value of the reward offer) serves at least a couple of objectives, both of which have to be part of Gibson's current marketing. They gotta make all the nostalgic hay they can from aging boomers while we still remember who our glory days guitar heros were, and still have some disposable that hasn't gone to health or long-term care. In the process, they gotta hope to educate and train younger consumers in the same history, hoping they'll adopt another generation's heros (and their worship) as their own. Nother words, they have to help turn what was once rebellious tear-it-down rock & roll into Orthodox Historical Canon - and pretend the brand of guitar played was integral to the history.

God help us.

By comparison with Gibson's other appearances in the news over the past few years - bankruptcy, steamrolling overstock guitars, suing and threatening to sue - this story is at least of a positive (or at least neutral) nature, despite its chuckle quotient. Maybe that's progress.

And by all reports, the company's approach to its core business - and the instruments themselves - have been much improved in the Levi era. I do hope Gibson survives - thrives even. But I wish they could do it with some dignity.

I'll have those ledgers ready as soon as this ink dries...

– Timthom62

If, at a later date, you should hear that the number of Les Paul models that Gibson produced in 1959 is actually documented as 6,120, then the drinks are on me.

So if the Gibson ledgers are lost... how do we know they only made 643 LP's in '59?

– kc_eddie_b

And there’s only 2000 that survived.

Register Sign in to join the conversation