Other Guitars

Gibson headstock reality

Ok this totally hacked 3/4 Melody Maker just came in.

I knew it was refinished and had almost no original hardware or electronics. But what I could not tell from pix was that these pinheads for some reason decided to paint an already black headstock face black again, and and crudely show the logo thru from underneath.

This was not described in text or shown in pix. So negotiating with seller about options. We'll see how it goes down.

In case I end up keeping it, options are: leave as is; refinish face of headstock in the chosen red and just have something different, or (question to you) are there Gibson decals where face of headstock refinished again in black and decal applied so it could look better.

It's probably the original decal which is why they painted around it. I'm sure there are decals available.

I'd leave it. It's part of that guitar's story.

Also, let's see the rest of the guitar!

For all the refin Gibson I have seen, they never messed with the face of the headstock. But am working out a deal with the guy. And my refin guy says they can re do it in black w/ new decal, then clear goes on top.

It's a mess -- happy about the neck pickup rout tho. Some weird home brew guard, etc. but we will whip this little guy into shape. Whatever other guitars get sold, I can get more of these little guys

I'd try to take it down as close to the original finish's level as possible using a sanding block and then even it out with clear. You want to get rid of as much of what was added as you can, but keep whatever's original.

She’s already gutted. I say sand ‘er down and slap on a lick o’ paint (red), buy a decal. Done. Bob’s yer uncle.

Looks like what we see on a lot of 60s Gretsch headstocks.

At the risk of appalling everyone -- I was thinking of making a kool little 22.5' bass out of this. It could be done.

i'm not appalled--i'm made of stronger stuff than that--but i'm kind of dubious about the likelihood of it playing in tune. if that's your choice you might as well do a Jaco and turn it fretless, which lets you intonate on the fly (as it were).

Not appalled but saddened that a really cool player that is already hacked and open to wonderful, personal mods might be lost into the world of basses, though I’m not a real bass player so what do I know.

Well part of it is just money -- for this to be good looking guitar that looks and plays the way I like --it's finish and frets at almost $900. Don't have to do either for a farmer's market bass. Tuning ultra short scale basses is work, but I have it down. Gold Tone has their Micro 23.5 fretted bass that people are eaten up with.

With all the projects that have come and gone I knew I would lose many hundreds when it was Time to Move On --so it just is paying for an experience.... soon will be flushing $1500 away on those 9 strings.

So here's one where I can have something useful to me and spend a lot less.

For all the refin Gibson I have seen, they never messed with the face of the headstock. But am working out a deal with the guy. And my refin guy says they can re do it in black w/ new decal, then clear goes on top.

It's a mess -- happy about the neck pickup rout tho. Some weird home brew guard, etc. but we will whip this little guy into shape. Whatever other guitars get sold, I can get more of these little guys

– DCBirdMan

It's not that hard to do I did a 1964 ES125 in the last year or so. You have to take it clear down to do it right. Not rocket science just take time and patience. I have pics of the process if you are interested.

Well it sure looks good. This will be a ways off tho and I would not be doing to the work. Still that's what will happen here.

Register Sign in to join the conversation