Other Guitars

Gibson ES 295 Husk

I bought a 50's Gibson ES 295 husk. It's been gutted and the finish sanded. I'm not sure what the story is, but I'm excited to have it and rebuild it. I am debating whether to try to restore it (not necessarily with vintage parts), or use it as an opportunity to be creative and build something unique. i had the thought of moving in the direction of a sort of Bigsby style build. Custom pick guard and maybe TK Smith pickups (or possibly a TK in the bridge with a Charlie Christian in the neck). Some folks are really opposed to altering a vintage guitar, which I get, but since this is already so far from stock, it kind of feels like an opportunity to take a classic and be playful... I figure Gretsch players (and I have Gretsches as well!) are always hot rodding their guitars...what do you all think?

I should add that I have a 50's Gibson ES 225 that is in pristine condition, so the idea of reloading this with P 90's would be a little redundant...

Given its condition, I say do what you want. I like the direction you're headed with this!

But what could you possibly put in that other than P90s?!

That's a great question....I saw a fella on line who put TK Smith pickups in an ES 140 and it looks and sounds killer. I asked him about whether he had any regrets and he said absolutely not.... I'm just feeling it out really.

But what could you possibly put in that other than P90s?!

– Tsar Nicholas

Mini humbuckers, preferable some vintage Epiphone mini hums. They are magic.

Send TK an email about his Summertone pickups. They drop into dogear P90 cavities without modifications, and they sound great!

That’s a dream project

TK CAR pickups. Paint it Cadillac Green. Put a B6 on it. Get a custom guard.

Start a band.

TK Smiths CARs would be a great call, how did I not even think of that?

He’s making me a set at the moment.

the TK Smith Summertones are clearly in the P90 camp, and a custom bakelite pickguard from him would be fantastic

Maybe do a RestoMod on it? Shouldn't be too hard to get modern parts that look vintage. BTW seems to me I saw 295s with Bigsbys back in the day....

What exactly does Restmod mean?

definitely will have a bigsby! I really don't like guitars without a tremolo system.

"Restomod" comes from the classic car guys. It means a vintage piece that looks stock as a stove but has all kinds of modern goodies under the hood. Think a '2-tone green '53 Bel Air with 18" wheels, a Crate motor,and a TH400.

If you change your mind and decide to move this on, please let me know because I have a set of 53 P90s waiting for a new home and I love ES295s.

If you change your mind and decide to move this on, please let me know because I have a set of 53 P90s waiting for a new home and I love ES295s.

– Shuggie

Will do. are you at all interested in selling the P 90's?

I'd restore it if it was mine. Just my opinion.

Very sweet project and I like the idea of Charlie Christian in the neck.

I think Gibson '59 reissues would be pretty sweet. Yes humbucker but they are different and very versatile.

Good luck!!

Will do. are you at all interested in selling the P 90's?

– langtryville

Not really TBH, but thanks and my offer is there.

What would I do with it?

Paint it either purple sparkle or lime green sparkle, toss a set of Filtertrons in it, a Bigsby B6, Tru-Arc bridge, fill the control know holes and make it only a 3 way switch and output. I never use the rest anyway. If you couldn't tell I'm not much of a purist with most things. But the fact that you said you have another one, I'd go wild with this one.

Man if that were mine and it is a real 50's 295 with the original neck and Gibson headstock. I would restore it exactly like Scotty Moores. The prices on those things are unreal because they are special and rare. Modding it any other way to not be a 295 IMO (which is of course the most important opinion)will make it just another modded guitar. Send it to me and I will get you some more appropriate guitars to mod. I would love to have that just like it is to restore. Here is a Ric I restored to it's former early 60's glory. https://www.gretsch-talk.co...

Register Sign in to join the conversation