Other Guitars

Flaming Hell

Over on FB I follow a lot of guitar brands and individual luthiers but when this showed up I had to chuckle. I won't name the brand but feel free to guess.

Very pretty.

– Rhythmisking

Well it would be if the top was central, the join is between the G & B. Doh!

Bahahaha!!! Didn't even notice that.

Reminds me of a Christmas tree. It’s a wannabe done wrong. The sharp cutaway looks like a FGN but as those are usually good guitars I doubt it.

I wonder how it would look from straight-on, rather than at this angle. The angle of view may inaccurately emphasize the contrast in the flame in the lower half of the top.

I'm not automatically a critic of vivid flame on a Lester, and it's a desirable feature to many buyers. Can't tell any details about the build on this guitar, so it's impossible to judge it otherwise than by reference to the flame.

In any case, the most attractive flame jobs have bookmatched halves, and this one certainly doesn't meet that standard. It's odd to me that someone would go to the trouble without that symmetry. (I'm not sure the join isn't between the D & G, though. The parallax of the photo may be enough to skew that perception.)

ANYway, I approve of the general color(s) of the burst, as well as the dark amber knobs and the cream trim. Apart from our judgment about the flameburst, someone had some taste in spec'ing it out.

Maybe the contrast between the two halves isn't so vivid from other views, and under all lights. That would make it not so horrible. And even as is, if it sounded and played somewhere in the amazing range, I might forgive it.

At the right price.

If I wanted a Les (or Less) Paul.

Very nice flame Mr.Tubs....don't mind a bit o' flame myself.

Looks nice to me.... The idea that a guitar top has to have perfect bookmached symmetry to be right, seems kinda silly to me. I’ve been a visual artist my entire life and I have learned to appreciate something that is not the norm. I feel this top is striking. To me it has more appeal than a bookmached “centered” top, which can be on the boring side.
I’d play the hell out of it!

I wonder how it would look from straight-on, rather than at this angle. The angle of view may inaccurately emphasize the contrast in the flame in the lower half of the top.

I'm not automatically a critic of vivid flame on a Lester, and it's a desirable feature to many buyers. Can't tell any details about the build on this guitar, so it's impossible to judge it otherwise than by reference to the flame.

In any case, the most attractive flame jobs have bookmatched halves, and this one certainly doesn't meet that standard. It's odd to me that someone would go to the trouble without that symmetry. (I'm not sure the join isn't between the D & G, though. The parallax of the photo may be enough to skew that perception.)

ANYway, I approve of the general color(s) of the burst, as well as the dark amber knobs and the cream trim. Apart from our judgment about the flameburst, someone had some taste in spec'ing it out.

Maybe the contrast between the two halves isn't so vivid from other views, and under all lights. That would make it not so horrible. And even as is, if it sounded and played somewhere in the amazing range, I might forgive it.

At the right price.

If I wanted a Les (or Less) Paul.

– Proteus

The top is most definitely off, the guitar company who posted it on FB pulled the picture minutes after it was pointed out. Compare the holes in the stop tail piece and the join line. . .

So it is. One wonders how such a mistake can even happen - much less make it to market. A great deal of labor goes into a build well after such an error should have been noticed. Got to be a story.

Goofy or not, though, I guess I can appreciate that all the materials and labor involved weren’t just wasted. It’s certainly the mother of all “factory seconds,” and I’d hope the asking price was a sliver of what the builder might have expected when the job started. Better yet, it would serve some purpose hanging forever in his workshop as an bad example.

You’re obliged to reveal the builder, if it’s someone we’ve heard of. It would be a public service.

Over on FB I follow a lot of guitar brands and individual luthiers but when this showed up I had to chuckle. I won't name the brand but feel free to guess.

– Mr Tubs

Chibson? LOL.

It's off by a mile and the two halves don't even look like they came off the same tree.

I'd suggest turning that into a goldtop.

I love the top even if it isn't "book-matched" but I'm a sucker for he flame. The alignment though, whoa......... Proteus wasn't kidding that it is the mother of all factory seconds!

Very nice flame Mr.Tubs....don't mind a bit o' flame myself.

– Gretschadelphia

Nice! This is exactly what my Tokai LS-135 looks like.

Nice! This is exactly what my Tokai LS-135 looks like.

– NJDevil

Close NJDevil.......you have a good nose for Japanese LP clones. Not a Tokai but an Edwards ELP 130ALS.

Register Sign in to join the conversation