Other Guitars

Firebird Crush

Well, my Dad never played guitar, but he was known to say that "You can't polish a turd".

Maybe that is what's underfoot?

Surely things like pickups, bridges, switches could have been salvaged? This is the kind of crazy, stupid stuff that gives capitalism a bad name. It's idiotic. Somebody would have loved these guitars. Obscene.

I heard these were from the 2010 Nashville flood. And had to be destroyed for liability issues. Mold, oxidation to electronics etc.

Not these. According to Gibson's statement, they're 2011 - 15.

Well that would be a totally different story than the one that was told by the guy in the video interview above. So, the thlot pickens.

I guess it never occurred to Ford to do that to the Edsels. But I have to admit, the thought of an "All-Edsel Demolition Derby" makes me smile.

Surely things like pickups, bridges, switches could have been salvaged? This is the kind of crazy, stupid stuff that gives capitalism a bad name. It's idiotic. Somebody would have loved these guitars. Obscene.

– JimmyR

Hey, Gibson owned them, they can do what they want with them.

Same with my guitars, or anyone else's. Our guitars to do whatever we want to do, or not do with them. Good, bad, or indifferent.

Just saying.

Oops, you're right, Dave. The statement says 2009 - 11. Which, even in my foggy understanding of numbers, includes the flood year of 2010. (Assuming that date is correct.)

But the guitars in the vid surely don't look flood-damaged. I saw a lot of the Nashville flood guitars first-hand; the damage was very visible, not at all subtle. The Firebirds in the closeups look perfect.

Anyway - if they had been flooded, they were already destroyed, and wouldn't have needed run over.

Gibson doesn't mention such damage in their statement, which would create immediate sympathy and understanding - though I don't remember any reporting at the time that Gibson's facility was flooded. IF it was, why not mention it as an extenuating circumstance in the press release?

Guitars are not just any other product. People who play them have an emotional connection to them. This might not be rational and Gibson has every right to do with their property as they see fit but this (emotional connection) is part of who your customer is. Destroying them and then lying about why is not a good business decision IMHO.

They also made it impossible for themselves to use 'the environment' as a marketing tool.

There were other options for them to choose.

Register Sign in to join the conversation