Other Guitars

Fender Standard Series Re-branded

I see Fender is receiving a lot of press over the discontinuation of the entry level Standard Series. From this point on the MIM models will be called the "Player's Series", a label I thought was already in use. Seems like nothing more than re-branding.

They changed the pickups to alnico V, added a fret and are using the cool looking spaghetti Fender logo. They also replaced rosewood with pau ferro. I think FMIC used Gretsch as a test for their Player Series concept.

They also increased the price by 10%

They also went to those awful bent steel Strat saddles that they used on the American Standard Tele's for a while. Hate 'em on a Tele.

I wonder if the string spacing on the new bridge is American or metric.

They are worth it for the extra fret.

BUT: other changes: trem models are now the modern 2-point trem, not the vintage 6-screw style. New colors. I like the buttercream

They are worth it for the extra fret.

BUT: other changes: trem models are now the modern 2-point trem, not the vintage 6-screw style. New colors. I like the buttercream

– ruger9

I like the buttercream too. This is exactly the one I would want if I were to buy one.

I find it half amazing half ridiculous how different the Pau Ferro fingerboards can look. From somewhere warm dark brown to bright reddish.

I find it half amazing half ridiculous how different the Pau Ferro fingerboards can look. From somewhere warm dark brown to bright reddish.

– sascha

Still beats the Smurf out of "baked maple" or richlite, though...

Ohh... I've seen some very cool "roasted maple" necks.... (not on Fenders)

I had to go to Guitar Center on Saturday to pick up a mic cable. I was in and out but I took 5 minutes to check out a Fender Player Strat. You know what? It felt like a really good Strat! The neck felt perfect to me. I love the shape and feel. It does feel closer to the necks on the American Professional line than anything else. The action was decent but I could tell if I were to get one that I would be able to dial it in even more. The fret work was fine and the fret ends were smooth.

These are the new American Standards.

Register Sign in to join the conversation