Other Guitars

Fender Maverick Dorado

I can't decide whether to make fun of this or lust after it. At first I thought they were using Mel's OffKiltertron pickups, but they're "Tim Shaw-designed Filter'tron style humbucking pickups." Ebony fingerboard, and a Bigsby, hmmm.

It's not calling out to me, but it is yelling my name. At 2.5 kilobucks, that's about as far as it's going to go.

If I told my wife that I wanted that...she'd have me committed.

Maybe I am wrong, but my default statement when this stuff comes up here is always - -

"The guitar world is running out of ideas".

I can't believe they went with the 12-string hockey stick headstock. with only 6 tuners, it looks so... barren.

The rest looks like a higher-quality iron curtain guitar.

I do like the finish color though.

I don't mind this bit, but. . .

That’s just wrong.

I can't believe they went with the 12-string hockey stick headstock. with only 6 tuners, it looks so... barren.

The rest looks like a higher-quality iron curtain guitar.

I do like the finish color though.

– Tartan Phantom

This is based upon one of the models that Fender made in 1969 with leftover parts - the Fender Custom (also called Maverick). The Custom used pickups, necks and bodies from the Fender XII (which wasn't selling well), hence the reason for the hockey stick neck. Fender didn't want to just throw away a bunch of parts they had for guitars that weren't selling, so they used them to make oddball models like the Custom, and the Musiclander/Swinger (made from overstocks of Musicmaster parts), figuring that they could maybe make some money off of them. To make them look a little different, and a little less like partscasters, Fender cut up/out parts of the body (and in the case of the Musiclander, also the headstock). Not many of these guitars were made, and they didn't sell very well. As a result, the originals are kind of rare.

1969 Fender Custom/Maverick

A friend of mine has one of the late 60's originals. It's just as ugly and clunky.

Call me cuckoo, but I like it. But then, I like oddball stuff.. Ellen, thanks for that information ! I didn't know there was an original Fender "Maverick". Interesting...

Strat gone bad.

I like the color, tho.

I like it. Too bad there’s not a Squire version. $2500 seem ambitious imo.

I think the original Swingers had mega narrow necks, like 1.5"

OK, I've reached my conclusion: no lust, just gonna make fun of it from now on. But if someone likes it, cool.

I think the original Swingers had mega narrow necks, like 1.5"

– DCBirdMan

That's kind of odd when you consider that they started out as 12-string necks. Not that they couldn't shave them down.

Anyway, I definitely like the look of the original. But I just don't care for the incorporation of non-Fendery electronics and hardware on a Fender.

Just did some digging. Mavericks and XIIs had the same nut width of 1 5/8", typical for Fenders in that era. I guess I'm a little surprised they didn't widen the necks for the XIIs. But I guess Rickenbacker didn't really either.

If the headstock didn't look like a limp dick, it might actually be a cool guitar.

The headstock always reminds me of the dwarf hats in Snow White.

I actually saw a couple of these guitars at Cream City Music. Maybe if they were sold at MIM prices, and had the split humbuckers like the originals, I might be interested. The body is pretty dinky compared to the offset Fender XII Jazzmaster-style bodies, that were chopped up to make the original Custom/Maverick guitars. I'm not a big fan of small bodied guitars.

Just did some digging. Mavericks and XIIs had the same nut width of 1 5/8", typical for Fenders in that era. I guess I'm a little surprised they didn't widen the necks for the XIIs. But I guess Rickenbacker didn't really either.

– Afire

I think Rick 12s were 1 9/16th... too narrow for 6 string even. I can get by barely on 1 10/16th but that's it.

Well they had to do some headstock shaving for that weird Swinger head stock.

And it is an MIJ reissue DANG

Intense Japanese Dudes are trollin for hi-$ on these. This is cheapest one

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ne...

This is based upon one of the models that Fender made in 1969 with leftover parts - the Fender Custom (also called Maverick). The Custom used pickups, necks and bodies from the Fender XII (which wasn't selling well), hence the reason for the hockey stick neck. Fender didn't want to just throw away a bunch of parts they had for guitars that weren't selling, so they used them to make oddball models like the Custom, and the Musiclander/Swinger (made from overstocks of Musicmaster parts), figuring that they could maybe make some money off of them. To make them look a little different, and a little less like partscasters, Fender cut up/out parts of the body (and in the case of the Musiclander, also the headstock). Not many of these guitars were made, and they didn't sell very well. As a result, the originals are kind of rare.

1969 Fender Custom/Maverick

– EllenGtrGrl

Reading the next to the last sentence in your post, something tells me that Fender may find themselves in a similar situation with these.....

Not many of these guitars were made, and they didn't sell very well.

Imagine that.

Looks like an Eastwood to me.

I'm in the sick mind camp. I like it! Wouldn't buy it but I still like it.

Reading the next to the last sentence in your post, something tells me that Fender may find themselves in a similar situation with these.....

– Toddfan

This would be the third time for Fender. Remember in the mid 80s the Katana, and the Performer?

Fender Katana

Fender Performer

Register Sign in to join the conversation