Other Guitars

Fender Coronado II Reissue…

C'mon Fender...talk to your good friends at the Terada Factory and reissue the Coronado II, Bass II and an Electric XII. You can build them better and brighter now. It worked for Gretsch!

I'm officially petitioning for a JT built, Fender Coronado II RI! Who's with me?

Big fan of the Electric XII here

grew up with an original that my Dad built, so a reissue would be fun man.. but I want it in antigua

The "Edsel" of Fender electrics. 40 years on, they've entered the cool zone. Count me in...

Won't happen....

Fender's too busy putting out 40 versions of the Strat's and 40 Versions of the Telecaster.

Yeah, too many strats and tele in the world and not enough Coronados. I always thought Elvis played (or danced with!) a Coronado in the 68 Comeback special. But it was a Hagstrom V2 which does look a little similar. And it was cool.

Oooooh yes Ernest, that is a Coronado in Elvis's hands, along with a go-go gal! I was thinking about the red guitar that we was thrusting around during Trouble/Guitar Man. Always wanted one of those.

Yeah man, that is a sharp looking guitar and a sharp looking Elvis.

grew up with an original that my Dad built, so a reissue would be fun man.. but I want it in antigua

– TheNocturneBrain.com

I liked the antigua too, even though the color scheme was originally a fix to cover up a mistake a worker made, kind of like the Cherry Blossom 5422s.

However, my favorites were the wildwood finishes where dye was injected into the Beech trees as they were still growing.

Elvis with Scotty's Coronado II in "Speedway"

– Ernest Hernandez

There's still something cool about minis and go-go boots.

Ernesto, I have a 12-string already. Does this mean that I might have to buy another one? Maybe one with a wider fretboard than I am accustomed to?

Won't happen....

Fender's too busy putting out 40 versions of the Strat's and 40 Versions of the Telecaster.

– jaycemumford

Only 40??? I thought they had about 40 different signature models of each. Those would be in addition to the American Standard, American Deluxe Standard, Historic, ............. and on and on......

When I was a kid, my mate thought the lyrics were 'You looking for Trevor....you came to the right place...' He'll never own a cool guitar.

that "go-go girl" in el's arms is nancy sinatra!

jimmy vaughn,who already has a signature strat model, uses a coronado, so i would think a reissue of some sort could be down the line

might be a while before the squier budget line comes...tho the bass vi is here so anythings possible in time

cheers

Another 'aye' vote for reissuing the Coronado. At least Fender has acknowledged (to a certain extent) the Rossmeisl contribution by reissuing the 60's-style acoustics, and I doubt the Coronados would eat that far into Starfire sales (and so what if they did?). Shouldn't be that much tooling up as all the Coronado models use the same body, throw a Bigsby on it and some P-90's if ya really gotta cheap out (Dearmond p/u's are another great historical line that Fender has been slow to show respect for in recent years). Heck, where are the Starcasters? Oh yeah, they have reserved that name, at one point their proud top of the line, for K-Mart/Target/Costco junk guitars...wow, that was a short-sighted marketing decision. They missed an opportunity to market K-kasters, Tarcasters and Stratacostco's....

Fender will always have to compete in the marketplace with used Fender instruments...and for me they've made the choice easy: the big ticket items (strats, teles, etc) are indeed overvalued but as for the more obscure stuff Fender can't build them to orig spec and compete with what I can get a Coronado for if I'm willing to search a bit. Same goes for point-to-point amps.

I had an original Wildwood Coronado II back in the day. Nice looking and playing guitar. Problem was the pups were weak and glued into the housings, and no after market ones available. I gave up and sold it.

For those that have Coronados, how do the DeArmonds compare with Dynasonics? How about with the DeArmonds Harmony used on the H 75/76/77/78?

Here is the backside of the Fender/DeArmond:

Top of the line Harmony DeArmond:

For those that have Coronados, how do the DeArmonds compare with Dynasonics? How about with the DeArmonds Harmony used on the H 75/76/77/78?

– dbirchett

more anemic in the lows, sharper in the highs (could be the maple fretboard) but the middle position is a delicious jangle.

There's one for sale at my local guitar shop it has the natural finish on it and its gorgeous I would love of fender reissued these and maybe at the new gretsch electros price range

Coronados are cool!

I knew a fellow who had one in 1969 and demo-ed to me the chords and solo to "Proud Mary" and it stuck :)

Always thought they were cool!

Some needed a little TLC but nonetheless, Unique!

Count me in, Ernesto!

They built lefty Coronados in the '60s, so a proper reissue would include them in the range. A 12-string, if you please. Paul/FF909

Register Sign in to join the conversation