Other Guitars

Favourite non-Fender brand teles?

Josh built me an amazing partscaster that holds it own against any production Tele out there.

The Schoolhoused Tele is a beast of a guitar. Incredible tone, and playability. Some day...

Josh built me an amazing partscaster that holds it own against any production Tele out there.

The Schoolhoused Tele is a beast of a guitar. Incredible tone, and playability. Some day...

– NJBob

Yep, partsCasters can be killer guitars.

I've got a '82 Fullerton neck on a Warmoth swamp ash body. Throw on some good hardware and pups, and it too holds its' own against other Teles.

I have a Logan Blackguard with Frain Tele repros. It's a keeper!

These are all good choices but I’d also like to add Reverend’s Eastsiders. If they’re good enough for Pete Anderson, they’re good enough for me. But with or without Pete’s endorsement, they’re fine guitars.

Hello, and my fav non-Fender brand tele would be a Gibson S-1. Hope this helps.

I hear good things about Creston teles.

I'm a big fan of the '80's Greco copies, which used to be cheap but not so much anymore. Still can be had for decent prices though.

I'm quite fond of this Greco TRS-120. It's not a copy; it's their own design, although clearly Tele-inspired. It has a carved maple top on an alder back. Originally it came with their own noiseless pups. I still have the original in the bridge but it now has a TV Jones Tele pup in the neck. Beautiful and sweet guitar.

A bit tough to find. I've only ever come across two of them, and I got one

I loves my James Trussart steeltop Tele!

I loves my James Trussart steeltop Tele!

– kc_eddie_b

I’ve seen some really cool-looking Trussart’s with pinstripes that gives a real rat-rod look.

Cheers for all the advice. I ended up getting a 2016 MIJ Tokai tele. I've got a MIJ Tokai jazzbox from the same era that's at least as good quality as any Gibson jazzbox you'll find so I know I've purchased a quality guitar.

Bought this Douglas on Craigslist for 50$ to cut up for a project. It's far too good for that fate, keep in mind I have a 1958 6120, a new White Penguin, Takamine custom all great guitars! It can hold its own in that group! The Douglas now has upgraded pickups. The only thing I don't like is the neck radius is a little flat!

I relaize the OP has made his choice, but thought I'd share Ron Kirn as an option. Although he custom builds just about any Fender model, he's best known for his Tele-style guitars.

Ron Kirn

Darn you guys. Look what you made me buy. It should be here this week.

Looks like the thread is all but over, but I gotta mention my Dingwall. Well know for their basses, they built about 30 guitars a few years back. I traded a very rare old guitar (not a Gretsch) to Sheldon Dingwall for mine, brand new, built to order, and picked it up at the shop in Saskatchewan during a business trip.

Tele shape, maple neck with rosewood board, Bigsby, and a pair of TV Jones pickups. A very nice guitar. Plays and sounds great, and mixes my two favorite guitars!

Sorry, no pic, I'm traveling.

Register Sign in to join the conversation