Other Guitars

Family portrait…

Some of the gang came out just after New Years for cleanup, polish and new strings...

Seemed a good time to line 'em up.

Nice Collection!

Yup! To cold to do much outside. Playing the new amp and sgining up and restringing the family.

Some of the gang came out just after New Years for cleanup, polish and new strings...

– Kevin Frye

Nice diversity of purpose. The Taylor is gorgeous. What's it like?

Minus the Clipper, which is in Bob Howard's capable hands, now.

Minus the Clipper, which is in Bob Howard's capable hands, now.

– Suprdave

Which do you like playing more, Dave, the Falcon or Tim Armstrong?

– Kevin Frye

Why do you have a left-handed acoustic when all the others are right-handed models?

Bob, I'm torn between those two and Karolyn's new G5194T that she won in Nashville. (Not pictured above) That thing is insanely pleasurable to play.

Sharp eye, Bob. Actually, two of mine are AWOL, but my wife's instruments needed a cleaning anyway, so they snuck into the picture as replacements. The lefty on the..er..left of the pic is actually Karen's.

MY 6str Takamine is out on loan to a buddy who's doing some recording with it, but aside from the pickguard on the wrong side, hers is pretty much identical. And my parlour-size Beaver Creek (Chinese made and inexpensive) 'Trigger' wanna-be is in the RV and missed the show, but I thought I'd put new strings on her Lefty version (back of the couch).

As for the Taylor- it's so smooth... also amazingly versatile. Not precisely able to emulate a Les Paul or a Strat, but between the three pickups, 5-way switching active tone controls you can find anything from pure amplified acoustic to solid body, strings-only between songs.

I fell in love with the original T5 at NAMM in 2012, then learned about the slightly smaller T5z when it came out a little later. A guy on a cruise ship loaned me on for a half hour or so on the way to Honolulu and I was hooked. Had to have one.

Tax refund last year finally let me take one home.

What are the acoustics, two Takamines up front? What's in the back?

...------

Nice pic, By the way, Kevin.

What are the acoustics, two Takamines up front? What's in the back?

...------

– indianation65

Yep- two Takamines, a 6 and a 12. The six (as Bob noted above) is actually my wife's lefty. My own Tak 6 is off on loan doing some recording, so it wasn't available.

In the back that's an early-80's vintage Fender FJ70. Strictly acoustic, no pups. Used it miked for the most part for about a decade, then it became mostly a writing and practice instrument.

Still sounds and looks great though.

Register Sign in to join the conversation