Other Guitars

Epiphone Zephyr Regent Deluxe At Antique Store

Yesterday I stopped by an antique store to see if they had any vintage guitars. I been in that shop before and they had a HiloTron Annie in sunburst.

I seen Epiphone Zephyr Regent Deluxe on the net before but never in person. I tried it unplugged as they had no amps. It had flatwounds. It felt awesome and looked as good as it felt. It sounded very lively. It makes my modern hollow bodies feel like a toy.

The price was ridiculous. He said originally $10,000 but I could have it for $6,000. From eBay and Reverb I see these go for about $3,000. He probably thought I was some affluent Pasadena kind of guy but I am neither from Pasadena nor affluent.

He claims it was from a 40 room estate in Montecito which is in Santa Barbara. I believe him but I don't believe the price is right.

Like this -

I'm in your court on this one. $3K strikes me as more in line with what they're worth. Where it's from is irrelevant when it doesn't have a high profile provenance. Condition and where the guitar stands in the company's model lineup dictates price; that along with how popular a model it is.

For instance you could have a perfect vintage model 50 or 75 archtop from just before WW2 and a Synchro 400 needing some restoration. The 400 will still command way more than the lower model, despite the lower model's better condition. In this comparison, you have to factor in top-of-the-line features and cache the 400 has - rarity too - that the lower model doesn't have.

It could be the light, but I'd regard this guitar's finish to be best described as unremarkable....uninteresting, compared to say a tasteful sunburst or a warm aged natural finish. It would appear to be a natural finish but in the pic, appears to be very dull....needs some life breathed into it?

Nice guitar. Stupid price. The discrepancy is too large to overcome through common sense. He'll have to hold on to it awhile to get the point. MD

I played a blonde one of these at Rudy's back in the day, very interesting guitar...of course, the asking price was absurd, but I did think about it!

He had the matching amp, too....

It seemed effortless to play.

I never see a worthy guitar in any of the antique shops my wife and i visit. I believe the local music stores that sell mostly used gear have deals with the antique and pawn shops for first right of refusal.

The pawn shops near me almost always have overpriced garbage guitars and rarely anything I'd consider buying. Seriously, they ask more than one could buy it for on eBay or Reverb.

I know one local music store owner goes around to all of the local pawn shops looking for guitars.

My wife on the other hand has found some great deals on Lennox and Belleek at a number of local antique shops. She knows the different color labels and when they date to so she has some very nice pieces. Funny how many of the sellers don't do their homework like musicians do.

I've seen plenty of blonde examples with a retail tag in the 4-6k range. Doesn't mean I'd pay that or that 3k prices aren't out there, but it's not an unheard of starting point. As to the instrument, NevYork pickups have plenty of admirers as well as detractors. Cal Maddox played one in the Maddox Brothers and it sounds killer.

I don't usually go to antique stores for guitars or anything. I went because I haven't been to that place in a long time and it is next to the Good Will I frequent. I don't go usually because I doubt they will have a guitar very often and also they would try to get a premium on a noteworthy one like the Epi. I just had the thought I would stop in that time. It is in Pasadena and they appeal to the affluent so prices will be high. I am not affluent yet. I have been in an antique store in Alpena Michigan and that place had nice antiques for a good price but I didn't see any guitars. Alpena would be selling to people with more modest incomes so the premiums wouldn't be so common as in Pasadena.

Spike thanks for the heads up on Maddox Brothers. Never was aware of them but heard them now on YouTube. Great music kind of like The Texas Playboys.

Here is the Epiphone you speak off they used -

Here is another man playing one and a story behind how he acquired his -

Here is another man playing one and a story behind how he acquired his -

– ThePolecats

That's not the tone I'm chasing, but it sure sound pretty!

If this is what got you on to the Maddox Brothers, my day is made. They are one of the great honky tonk acts of all time.

$6k is on the high side, but not crazy. I've seen higher asking prices for blondes recently. And of course it's going to be higher than eBay or Reverb. There's more overhead selling out of a bricks and mortar. Everything is cheaper online. Everything.

The most famous Zephyr DeLuxe Regent was Roy Lanham’s

Oh yeah, how could I forget that? The Whippoorwills stuff is great.

Man, close harmony, great chords, and an easy swing groove. There's sure nothing not to like about that.

Thereare tons of whippoorwills videos on youtube, of their own music. They were also the studio band for hundreds of country and western swings early recordings , most famously “Happy Trails” by Roy Rogers. And Roy L played his Epiphone ZDR on all of those, brilliant guitar player.

Happy trails original version:

...thank you, and goodnight.

If this is what got you on to the Maddox Brothers, my day is made. They are one of the great honky tonk acts of all time.

– spike

That's true. I didn't know of the Maddox Brothers before you mentioned them. Bob Willis and the Texas Playboys yes but not the Maddox Brothers. Thanks.

The most famous Zephyr DeLuxe Regent was Roy Lanham’s

– fws6

Good call. I only knew Roy Lanham as a Jazzmaster guy.

Epiphones were quite popular back then. Here's an historic one, Hank Garland's 1948 Emperor Deluxe with Bigsby pick ups.

Quinton Claunch, playing behind Charlie Feathers on his most revered sides for Meteor and King.

Epiphones were quite popular back then. Here's an historic one, Hank Garland's 1948 Emperor Deluxe with Bigsby pick ups.

– Hepkat67

I had a few moments with that very guitar way back in the late 70's at Hank's house. He had a closet full of the most amazing guitars, including Strombergs and the first and only Bigsby I ever saw. Man, what I wouldn't give to see them now that I know a little more.

Register Sign in to join the conversation