Other Guitars

Epiphone SG Standard ‘61 Maestro Vibrola

That;s the shipping weight, add packing material and the case weight to the weight of the guitar.

Hi Winnie, I've read the average SG weighs in at only 6 or 7 pounds. I wasn't aware the new Epi SGs ship with a case. Guess I'll find out Tuesday when it arrives.

Nice guitar! Looks, plays, sounds real nice. Weighs in at 7 pounds, no case included. Shipped triple boxed. Havent weighed the empty boxes yet, but cant imagine they weigh 10 pounds.

I like the new headstock shape. Good move.

I may order one of the two P90 models in this new line. SG Classic Worn or SG Special . I like the looks of the sparkling burgundy more than the worn cherry, but not a fan of the wrap around bridge.

Just a side note, the 3 new Electros I bought over the past decade played great right out of the box, no adjustments needed. The Epi SG nut slots need to be cut lower, for my taste. And I don't know if its the strings or something on the fret board, but my finger tips were coated black after 10 minutes of playing. Took a good bit of scrubbing to get it off. Never had that happen before. Hope its not bat soup related.

i have a SG with the Vibrola i got back around 2006. i love it to pieces. the Vibrola is hella stiff compared to the vintage ones i played back in the day, but i think i have a solution. the old ones had a flatter handle, and the bridge had domed thumbwheels that allowed the bridge to rock. you can get these from some parts house whose name i forget at the moment, and i figure that should work. i saw the SG Special with the wraparound tailpiece, and i'm extremely interested though the new Fender Lead II reissue is sparking me off a bit more at the moment.

Register Sign in to join the conversation