Other Guitars

Epiphone SG Standard ‘61 Maestro Vibrola

Jody Porter was talking about these vibrola units on an SG. “yeh the vibrola is an abortion but it looks cool and blinds the audience.” Having seen his fondness for Bigsbys, I take his review seriously, and having seen the effect of redirecting stage lights off a shiny guitars, I can say it’s a cool stage prop.

A friend of mine has a Gibson SG with that unit.Played it some......Meh. If you're going to have a vibrato (that you're actually going to use) on an SG, spend the bux and go with a Vibramate.

I have one. Nice guitar, good tone and a bit heavy. I would prefer a Bigsby. The vibrola arm is too long and high imo. Simple solution: remove the plastic tip.

Not as good as a Bigsby, but then again, nothing is. For a little shimmer, it works just fine. Do you have any experience with the Rickenbacker Ac'cent vibrato? Because it's pretty much the same thing.

No experience with the Rickenbacker Ac'cent vibrato. Mostly B3/B6, strat trem, and a stetsbar.

Maybe this is the way to go?

Maybe this is the way to go?

Depends on your priorities. If you want the best possible vibrato experience, then it's going to be tough to beat the Bigsby/Towner combination. If you want a cool and classic looking piece of Gibson hardware that's functional for the occasional shimmer, but not exceptional, then I'd go with the Maestro.

SG's and Bigsbys are a perfect match. The weight of the Bigsby counteracts the tendency of SG's to be neck-heavy.

A few testimonials:

Ordered an Epi standard 61, non-vibrola. Will probably go with the Towner B3 set up. Thanks.

My '73 looks like this when the Bigsby was on.

It's in the case at the moment.

CB, is that a chopped B7?

No Vibrola on any hypothetical Epi SG for me, but I can’t decide between humbuckers and P90s.

What to do?

P90s, of course. Is this a trick question?

– Bryan K.

It's a Gibson engraved chopped B12.

You'd think so, given my Tru-Believer status - but I have a mahogany Gibson slab with P90s in the form of an LP Special DC. So it would seem I have that tonal recipe covered.

And, save Robbie Krieger (a not inconsiderable exception, I'l grant you), all my SG influences and memories are humbucked.

(Even the Krieger association is ambiguous. While his P90 SG was definitely used on the first album, he got a humbucked SG in 1968, and it's unclear which he used on which tracks thereafter.)

I might be leaning humbucker here. Other than FilterTrons, I haven't bought a guitar with a pair-o-buckers for 15 years, so I might be excused this one lapse.

– Bryan K.

Yes, but this was a stock item, not chopped after purchased.

It's a Gibson engraved chopped B12.

– Mr Tubs

I stand corrected.

You'd think so, given my Tru-Believer status - but I have a mahogany Gibson slab with P90s in the form of an LP Special DC. So it would seem I have that tonal recipe covered.

And, save Robbie Krieger (a not inconsiderable exception, I'l grant you), all my SG influences and memories are humbucked.

(Even the Krieger association is ambiguous. While his P90 SG was definitely used on the first album, he got a humbucked SG in 1968, and it's unclear which he used on which tracks thereafter.)

I might be leaning humbucker here. Other than FilterTrons, I haven't bought a guitar with a pair-o-buckers for 15 years, so I might be excused this one lapse.

– Proteus

Well, as the SG does have devil horns, and some folks need to get their Sabbath on once and awhile, we’ll allow it.

– Proteus

On the first two Santana albums (Santana and Abraxas), as well as at Woodstock, Carlos played a P-90 SG. On the third album (also called Santana), he switched to a humbucker Les Paul, while Neal Schon played a P-90 LP. I personally prefer his tone with humbuckers, whether LP, Gibson L-6S, Yamaha SG, or PRS.

Well...I'd forgotten the Santana connection. I like his tone fine on the first two albums, but haven't compared it critically to later albums.

So I guess that's a null in the calculus of choice.

I recorded an album with 2 SGs. One Humbucker, One P-90.

Guess which tracks we kept?

Iont know. P90?

But what if you already had an LP Special doublecut with P90s?

They work great! Same unit as Rickenbacker. Get it!

How heavy are these new Epiphones? Shipping info says 17.80 LBS ! That cant be right, unless maybe they threw in a hardshell case.

Register Sign in to join the conversation