Other Guitars

Epiphone releases a ltd. edition of the Johnny A. signature model

I always liked the concept. Longer scale, Bigsby. Epiphone even put Gibson 57 Classics and a real ebony fingerboard on those. I've read they're already pre-sold out but still... I like it a lot. Even the headstock shape looks okay. :)

http://www.epiphone.com/New...

Must have been a cold photoshoot

Most intriguing. So if they're pre-sold-out, I'm assuming they're sold to retailers. Wonder what the price point will be. And wondering if demand will keep them from going much, or at all, below MSRP. And a Gibson with a 25.5" scale, hmm, not many of those around.

These sorts of things make know how out of touch I am. Who is Johnny A?

Cool guitar.

I saw this on the Chinese Horizon store a while back, and put it on my wish list. When I checked two weeks ago— it was "discontinued". Maybe it'll be available again from him after a while. When I saw it at Horizon, it had a Gibson-style headstock, which is cool.

That particular epi headstock shape is always a deal-breaker for me. Dangs!

Cool guitar.

– Mark G

Johnny A is the former guitarist for J Geils Band, among other stints. From Boston. Super talented, doesn't sing.

I only got into Setzer after lusting after Johnny A's guitar-skills for a few years. Plays through a 100w Marshal head into the board. Doesn't haul around speakers.

Wears pointy boots~ heehee!!

Very nice. Replace the pickups with TVJ PowerTrons and you are golden!

Johnny A is the former guitarist for J Geils Band, among other stints. From Boston. Super talented, doesn't sing.

I only got into Setzer after lusting after Johnny A's guitar-skills for a few years. Plays through a 100w Marshal head into the board. Doesn't haul around speakers.

Wears pointy boots~ heehee!!

– deci belle

He was the guitarist for Peter Wolf solo, not the J.Geils Band. Very nice player, although not worth a $5000+ signature model for Gibson. Epiphone is about right.

He was the guitarist for Peter Wolf solo, not the J.Geils Band. Very nice player, although not worth a $5000+ signature model for Gibson. Epiphone is about right.

– drmilktruck

Um, actually he was the music director of J. Geils Band (to quote Johnny) while we always thought he was just the guitarist. He went solo doing instrumentals only because he no longer wanted to rely on a singer to make a living.

Cool guitar.

– Mark G

Oh Mark man, you gotta get hip to him. Great player.

I thought J Geils was the guitar player? I've only ever heard of Johnny A because of his signature Gibson. Killer player, but I don't much like his guitar design. I'm sure it's nice

If you're going to mod a guitar like this by putting PowerTrons in it, you may as well start with something already pretty close to that configuration by getting a Reverend Tricky Gomez RT. The top may be flat instead of arched, but it's solid maple.

I'd take that guitar if the ability to play it like that comes with it.

I had this since 2003, They are not making them like this one anymore. This Xtone is amazing, SD Jazz/JB pups in her. Did many shows and recording with it, So I am not in need of this Johnny A model. Johnny A is great!

Um, actually he was the music director of J. Geils Band (to quote Johnny) while we always thought he was just the guitarist. He went solo doing instrumentals only because he no longer wanted to rely on a singer to make a living.

– deci belle

Well, not quite. From Wikipedia;

He then began a seven-year stint as guitarist and musical director with The J. Geils Band front man Peter Wolf.

Man, I had a dickens of a time learning "Wichita Lineman", videos, bought the dvd, I was obsessed with learning it for some reason, STILL don't know all the little fills. He is such a smooth player it's hard to catch what he does. Saw him here at the Blue Note in Waikiki with the Yardbirds. He was spot on on every tune. No Johnny A. tunes in that gig.

Nice guitar, but believe it or not, through hook or crook my projet sounds the closest to his guitar than any of my others.

Oh man this is so cool! I love playing his "mostly" slower stuff. It's why i wanted to get back into hollow/semi hollow bodies. Just not the same on my Fenders. Although pretty sweet on a Gretsch!

If the price is right I'll be real tempted!.

You need longer scale to get the nice snappy reasopone he gets, with buckers. Looks like Epiphone pull out all the stops on this one!

The part i don't get are all the comments on the epi page, about this coming in a hardtail. I don't want to start a big debate on that but i think they're missing the point. I mean there are a lot of other guitars for that. Anyhow this looks spot on to me, hope is sounds as good as it looks!

Correction: Johnny A get's a pretty snappy response on shorter scale as well.

Still really interested in this guitar!

Ehhh... Not my thing. Not because it's an Epi, ( I have 2, a 79 Genesis and a 95 Sheraton II) but it's an "Artist Signature". Signature models and "relics" are the two types of guitars I tend to hate the most.

I get the Relic bit Badpenguin, but why the artist sig "hate"?

Ehhh... Not my thing. Not because it's an Epi, ( I have 2, a 79 Genesis and a 95 Sheraton II) but it's an "Artist Signature". Signature models and "relics" are the two types of guitars I tend to hate the most.

– Badpenguin

i respectfully disagree. i think getting a sig model or not getting a sig model based on the artist that is affiliated with it are two sides of the same coin.

Couple years ago i was looking for a Jazzmaster. i knew what i wanted but those specs were hard to find. Then comes along this artist sig model, Troy Van Leeuwen. never heard of the guy. Still have no clue who he is and i don't care, it doesn't matter. What matter is now Fender makes a Jazzmaster with: - American Vintage '65 pups - Bound Rosewood - Block inlays - Mustang bridge

everything i wanted and all at a decent price. don't care for the colour too much or the matching headstock. but c'est la vie.

10 years ago similar situation with the John Mayer Stratocaster. it was like a custom strat made for me. best strat pick ups I've ever played. i do know who JM is and i think he's a great blues player. love his tone. but it's not about that. i don't even play any of his songs. never did.

Artist model are great because they often make tweaks on classic specs. variety and choice is a good thingand sometimes its a new design...

That Les Paul guy made an artist model with Gibson, that seems to have worked out pretty well for a lot of people who never heard his music.

Register Sign in to join the conversation