Other Guitars

Epiphone Les Paul Custom

My first real guitar was a Epi Les Paul Custom. When I got my 6120 I gave the Epi to my cousin who wanted to learn to play. I thought I was paying it forward. Soon after, it was in a pawn shop...then gone out of my life.

We have some great guitars including a Gibson Les Paul...but I've always regretted giving the guitar away and missed it. So for my birthday my wife bought this...

nice! i want a white Custom like the one Doug Hopkins (RIP) played in the Gin Blossoms.

Randy Rhodes, Lindsey Buckingham, Frank Iero...lots of cool players used the white Custom. In fact, Frank Iero of My Chemical Romance actually used the Epi Custom even after they were emincely famous. My dad had a black Gibson Fretless wonder when I was a kid too.

The Edge steve jones Jerry Cantrell Peter Frampton Jimmy Page has one Tommy Shaw many others...and this guy

Well done!

– Mark G

Thanks, I find slow steady on the beat picking the hardest rhythms for me because flubs stand out so much. I can't imagine how GW Snuffy held it steady for so long on Edge of Seventeen.

Beautiful guitar, Shane, and nicely played! It's great having a wife who partisipates in our GAS. I am very fortunate to have a wife who has birthday gifted me a guitar and a bass. I suppose she finally figured out "if you can't beat him, join him"!

I think it was an amazing birthday gift that she bought you, Shane. Play it in excellent health, with all the enjoyment a new guitar has to offer.

EDIT : I just looked up the specs for this instrument, and they are quite impressive. ProBuckers are fabulous pickups. And the other appointments are equally impressive. Epiphone is knocking it out of the park with this one!

Beautiful guitar, Shane, and nicely played! It's great having a wife who partisipates in our GAS. I am very fortunate to have a wife who has birthday gifted me a guitar and a bass. I suppose she finally figured out "if you can't beat him, join him"!

I think it was an amazing birthday gift that she bought you, Shane. Play it in excellent health, with all the enjoyment a new guitar has to offer.

EDIT : I just looked up the specs for this instrument, and they are quite impressive. ProBuckers are fabulous pickups. And the other appointments are equally impressive. Epiphone is knocking it out of the park with this one!

– Wade H

Thanks, the Gibson Les Paul Standard in Sunburst we have is actually hers...that she's had since 95. She hasn't played in a very long time, she's having fun playing drums now

Thanks, the Gibson Les Paul Standard in Sunburst we have is actually hers...that she's had since 95. She hasn't played in a very long time, she's having fun playing drums now

– shane kislack

I have a Gibson Les Paul in Heritage Cherry Sunburst, with Burstbucker 61 pickups. It's hands down the easiest guitar to play that I've ever had. The only problem with them is that they are so expensive, three times as much as best Epiphone Les Paul.

I bought a used, damaged Epi LP Custom Pro in wine red a year ago.

Leveled/ beveled/ polished the frets, made a bone nut, added a better bridge and I’m camping happy. I’m proud to not own a Gibson LP.

That Les Paul has a great, natural and balanced tone. The new Epiphones are really well made.

I bought a used, damaged Epi LP Custom Pro in wine red a year ago.

Leveled/ beveled/ polished the frets, made a bone nut, added a better bridge and I’m camping happy. I’m proud to not own a Gibson LP.

– Troy6120

How much did you put into it. Mine could stand the fret ends addressed...not too bad...but it's only bad part. My wife got a really good deal at $450 with case. On reverb they're going for $6-700 regularly...without case and with scratches. Mine looks like it was never even used. It's a 2011 I think.

As far as additional money, I bought a SwitchCraft switch to replace the broken one the guitar shipped with and a set of Grover tuners to replace the two that were physically broken. While I was at it, I replaced the stock output jack with a SwitchCraft. I paid $230 for the guitar initially. I already had the nut blank, files, fret leveler, sandpapers, etc., so no additional cost there. This thing sounds and plays just right now. Now, instead of wanting Gibsons, I just want another Epiphone. I’ve been eyeing a Firebird lately.

One of the cool things is that their are high profile bands using these.

They had plenty of money at this point to buy whatever guitar they wanted and they still used epi's on many occasions.

I have a Gibson Les Paul in Heritage Cherry Sunburst, with Burstbucker 61 pickups. It's hands down the easiest guitar to play that I've ever had. The only problem with them is that they are so expensive, three times as much as best Epiphone Les Paul.

– Wade H

Adjusted for inflation, prices for USA Gibsons and Fenders are right about where they were back in Da Golden Age, and sometimes considerably less. What's changed is that the budget-level models now impersonate the originals. That's a mixed blessing at best....

Adjusted for inflation, prices for USA Gibsons and Fenders are right about where they were back in Da Golden Age, and sometimes considerably less. What's changed is that the budget-level models now impersonate the originals. That's a mixed blessing at best....

– DaveH

I don't understand why the supply/demand model doesn't fit GAS. There are so many guitars in the world with most of owning multiples. You'd think we'd demand fewer making prices go down...but nope.

Not only are guitars still expensive...things like youtube, IG and tik tok has revealed that there are average guys out there that can out play the greats. No disrespect to the fathers, they created the sound, but there are a thousand dudes, and ladies, on tik tok that can play little wing perfectly.

Good point about average Joes and little kids now able to do everything the Founders did and then some--as well as leave Da Golden Age average Joe as a microscopic spot in the rear-view mirror. What today's average Joe's grandpa had ( and young Joe does not) is paying gigs. LOTS of them, so the anticipation of earning back what one had to put out for work tools made it worthwhile to get some skin in the game. Not so much the case now, and the real-deal USA stuff looks more expensive than it is....

Gigs...true. I never wanted to play live in my life. I did for a short time with some very talented (way too talented for me) musicians.

Register Sign in to join the conversation