Other Guitars

Epiphone Dot Pickup Upgrade-Neck or Bridge? Or Both?

I've found folks who frequent this forum have quite a lot of knowledge in these matters, so, here goes. I have an Epiphone Dot I'd like to upgrade with a '57 Classic Gibson Humbucker. http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-57-Classic-Humbucker-Neck-Pi... Would it make a big difference if I replaced only one of the stock pickups, and if so, which would you replace, neck or bridge? Or would it be best to replace both? (The 57 Classic can be used in neck or bridge.) Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the pups in the dot are a little hot, so you might want to match the upgraded HB to the output of the stock ones if you are only going to replace one.

I had a dot studio and just saved up and replaced both.

What p/u do you play on more? thats the one.

I am currently replacing the pickups in an epiphone les paul and the stock neck pickup is the one used in both positions on the Dot. I measured it at 8.33k ohms, so as Doc Helliday said it is a bit hot. I am replacing the neck postition with a 57 classic and it measured at 7.80k ohms which is not too far off from stock. I wouldn't count on consistency across stock epiphone pickups though.

For what its worth, I would still replace both becuse you'll have a smooth creamy pickup in the neck and a muddy one in the bridge.

Here is a picture of the back of the epiphone pickup which indicates it is both positons on the Dot.

fauves wrote:

I have the selector switch in the middle, both pickups on, 90% of the time.

Rockabillybob wrote:

fauves wrote:

I have the selector switch in the middle, both pickups on, 90% of the time.

Then you definitely don't wanna mismatch output

I'd replace both pickups with a set of Bare Knuckle Riff Raffs. Exact replica of the early 60's PAF pickups.

If those are too expensive, I'd look for something with a similar recipe from GFS or Tonerider.

Ratrod: Ever tried one of these? Part of me says that if they're so inexpensive then they can't be an improvement on what I've already got — but the other part of me thinks there's not a great deal to lose. They have most standard types covered — humbuckers, P90s, Strats, Teles — but, sadly, no Gretsch types.

www.irongear.co.uk/

flip a coin, then use the vol knob on the hotter one until you replace the other.

fauves wrote:

flip a coin, then use the vol knob on the hotter one until you replace the other.

That makes sense. Thanks to everyone for the advice .

I've been thinking about a set of this guy's T-Buckers. I'm waiting to get a Tele back from my tech with one of his Telebuckers in the neck position. If that works out well, T-Buckers may be in my future. Lot's of people on Les Paul sites rave about his pickups.

Zhangbucker

You know ,,, I liked the sound of the stocks too!

Different!

@Dave_K: Haven't tried those. I cannot say I was impressed by the clips.

I'd replace both. In the words of Homer Simpson, "Don't half-ass something, put your whole ass into it!"

Register Sign in to join the conversation