Other Guitars

Epiphone Broadway Mod.

I'm completely modifying an Epiphone Broadway Jazz Box. 17" at the bout, 3 1/8" deep. Seymour Duncan custom shop Alnico V Staple P90 at both the neck and bridge. Tusq XL nut, Hipshot Grip-Lock tuners, Tone Man Guitar custom 50's wiring harness, PIO K42Y-2 green caps, Bourns Pro Audio with audio taper potentiometers,Switchcraft switches, Bigsby B6G. The one item I have not figured out is the Bridge. Tru-Arc, Compton, Locking Roller, Embie-Matic. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Yeah I wouldn't go roller - too many parts to rattle and lose sustain. I've had good results with the Gibson TOM without the wire but now I'm all for the Serpentunes. I like the Compton but they don't intonate quite as well because they don't have the wound/plain string offset. The Serpentunes play in tune and stay in tune better than anything else I've tried, plus can do good things for your sound.

I wouldn't get too stuck on fancy caps, but good pots, switches and jacks are essential. Even the wire is important. It doesn't have to be audiophile quality but it does have to be reliable. Sounds like you know what you're doing!

Thanks for the info. I've seen a lot of threads about the Tru-Arc Serpentine but don't see it offered one the 1 page website. I will have to dig further. As to the wire, it will be Gaveitt wax cloth push back and braided 22 awg. wire.

Tru-Arc Serpentune.

– BuddyHollywood

Thanks. I've read plenty of good reviews on the Tru-Arc Serpentune. I did not see it offered on the 1 page website. I will have to revisit the website.

BCH - I’m Tru-Arc. My webpage is a whimpering disgrace. Just contact me at the email address on the page and we’ll figure out what you need.

Response might be slow over the holiday weekend, though, what with travel.

I’ll need to know the diameter and center-to-center spacing of the posts in your existing bridge base (unless you want to replace it).

I did a similar project on a Peerless made Sorrento. Put a copper Tru-arc on it for a bunch of reasons - more materials to choose from, a little easier to get a match for the odd combination of neck radius and bridge stud spacing, and out of gratitude for all the wisdom that Tim (Proteus) has shared here over the years. I went standard over Serpentune and found intonation acceptable, but that might just be my terrible tin ears. Dramatic improvement in projection, sustain, and tone over the pot metal TOM it came stock with. We love projects 'round these parts; be sure to post some before and after photos or videos!

I did a similar mod to a Broadway. But I keept the origial harness and bridge. The guitar soud fantastic.

Aye,post some pics,love a project thread me!

Andreas,i've said before and I'll say it again ,your geet is glorious sir!

Plain old tune-a-matics work great for me.

BCH - I’m Tru-Arc. My webpage is a whimpering disgrace. Just contact me at the email address on the page and we’ll figure out what you need.

Response might be slow over the holiday weekend, though, what with travel.

I’ll need to know the diameter and center-to-center spacing of the posts in your existing bridge base (unless you want to replace it).

– Proteus

Apologies Tim. I found the SerpenTune offered for Electromatics on your site.I will contact you via your website email. Thanks

I did a similar mod to a Broadway. But I keept the origial harness and bridge. The guitar soud fantastic.

– Andreas

Beautiful guitar Andreas!

Here’s that Sorrento. Wax potted the notoriously microphonic pups and shimmed them up, custom harness with CTS pots, Switchcraft jack and switch, new knobs and switch tip, added the Bigsby and swapped out the bridge. Hadn’t done a mod project like this since the late ‘80s, so it was a fun process of bonding with the guitar!

Here’s that Sorrento. Wax potted the notoriously microphonic pups and shimmed them up, custom harness with CTS pots, Switchcraft jack and switch, new knobs and switch tip, added the Bigsby and swapped out the bridge. Hadn’t done a mod project like this since the late ‘80s, so it was a fun process of bonding with the guitar!

– Junior Q Man (Ryan M)

Junior Q Man (Ryan M)

Amazing guitar you have.

You've got a great project lined up, I'm very fond of modding Epiphones too.

I'm in the modded Epiphone Club! I did up my Epiphone Olympic! I used Grestch Dynasonics and a TV Jones harness on mine, but I left the archtop bridge because it has an acoustic pickup in it!

You've got a great project lined up, I'm very fond of modding Epiphones too.

– Mr Tubs

Mr Tubs

That's a beautiful pair of Epiphones you have! I am still sourcing parts for mine. I'm new to playing guitar. Waited a very long time before I pulled the trigger and decided it was time to start playing myself. Rockabilly, Western Swing, Blues/Jump Blues are what I listen to and go see live. I live in Long Beach, Ca. There was a great live music scene before the Covid-19. I have researched a lot over the years and knew what I wanted. I have no experience doing mods myself. I will be using Neely Guitars in Los Angeles for all the work. Will post photos once everything as been completed.

I'm in the modded Epiphone Club! I did up my Epiphone Olympic! I used Grestch Dynasonics and a TV Jones harness on mine, but I left the archtop bridge because it has an acoustic pickup in it!

– Daniel Weldon

Daniel Weldon

Beautiful!

Register Sign in to join the conversation