Other Guitars

eBay Is Flooded With Yamaha SGVxxxs

Never saw so many of these Yamaha up for sale at one time on eBay.

If you want one then get it while they are hot and available. Not sure how good the prices are though. From Japan all of them so shipping will be a factor to consider in the price.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i....

The SGV is my "guilty pleasure" GAS guitar - I'd love to get one for their unique surf guitar sound and look. Those eBay examples from Japan are gorgeous!

The main negative about these guitars (that I've read) is the skinny neck (1 5/8" nut width). That would likely be a problem for me, though I would reserve judgement until I could play one.

Wow... I paid $250 for mine (SGV-800) as NOS new in 2007... Guess I got a bargain!

Their bodies are so comfortable, the neck pick up on my banana yellow 300 is one of my favourite tones.

Since getting an outboard tube reverb unit I am in full surf music mode and would love to have a Yamaha SGV but I am really very paranoid of ordering from overseas with all the CITES stuff going on with rosewood.

Since getting an outboard tube reverb unit I am in full surf music mode and would love to have a Yamaha SGV but I am really very paranoid of ordering from overseas with all the CITES stuff going on with rosewood.

– Gretschadelphia

Same here or I might've pulled the trigger on a unique LP I recently saw and a quilted Tokai LP clone.

What strikes me odd that with the CITES issue being more of an issue than ever, I would've thought I would see less ebay listings but if anything, I see a lot more.

I see the usual with the MIJ brands (Tokai, Edwards, Orville, etc...) but there is now an explosion of Les Pauls being sold from Japan. I noticed a good deal of Gretsches too. I wonder why this is?

Looks like a Strat melted.

– wabash slim

There is an Strat version...the EGV

Here's a snapshot of the entire SGV family...

Oh yeah...there's also a bass!

And no SGV thread would be complete without a link to the Surf Coasters doing their surf instrumental "Shark Man" using SGVs!

And no SGV thread would be complete without a link to the Surf Coasters doing their surf instrumental "Shark Man" using SGVs!

– Frank_NH

Great stuff. Have to check them out more.

Register Sign in to join the conversation