Other Guitars

Eastwood Surfcaster Doubleneck

I just got an Email from Eastwood. They are taking pre-orders for a 12/6 string surfcaster doubleneck. I didn't know a handful these were made in '92/'93. Just thought I give a heads up to anyone who might be interested.

I thought it'd be like the Charvel Surfcaster.

Holy hell! I asked them about that very thing a year ago and he said, “Only if you buy 12.”

Reasonably attractive for a double-neck. Maybe they'll do a Tubwomper Artist model in black & gold.

Reasonably attractive for a double-neck. Maybe they'll do a Tubwomper Artist model in black & gold.

– Proteus

Jeez, stop readin’ my mind, wouldja?

Don’t they know who I think I am?

Sheyoot, just let’ em come out with a black one and I can let Tony down the road at Pickguardian handle the rest. I’m done buying guitars UNLESS....

ETA-Gonna only be in that metallic green. In light of what I already have, dealbreaker. If they were gonna do any in that Rick-like sunburst, I might have still been tempted, but so it goes....

– Proteus

I'd like to see that! Well deserved.

As much as I like sicko double necks their 6/4 didn't do it for me. Got my Dano double 6/4 and still holding out for a Bikini double neck.

Well, much as I appreciate the comparative grace of this 6/12, it double doesn't do it for me - sonically speaking. I had a Charvel Surfcaster for a couple of years, with achingly gorgeous subtle but deeply iridescent 3D orange flame AND white pearloid guard, the whole thing reeking of could this be any gorgeouser. (Photo does not do it justice.)

However, I finally had to admit that, for whatever reason, the lipstick tubes on this body made no sounds I could use. Angel-hair gossamer wispy twinkleshimmer. The neck pickup sounded like a bridge pickup, and the bridge pickup sounded like an Irish harp through a telephone.

Not that Eastwood particularly gets pickups right, so who knows how theirs will sound by comparison - I guess it could hardly sound uselesser. But what if they did get it right? What could be more useless than a 6-string sounding like that? OH, I KNOW, I KNOW, ME ME, PICK ME! A doubleneck sounding like that, with not 6 but 18, countem eighteen strings to not do it for me.

Besides, I recently (if provisionally) overcame my own general abhorrence of double-necks and the resulting prohibition on owning one. I've learned that I was right in the first place. I want it to go away, and won't be daft enough to get another.

I suspect Charvel used the typical far eastern-built lipsticks, like the Kent Armstrong ones, and those are some extremely sorry, wimpy, thin sounding pickups that give lipsticks a bad name.

There are not that many Danelectro style lipsticks available that are made like the old ones (a BIG honking magnet with as much coil wire wrapped around it as they could fit inside the lipstick tube housing)

But then the ones done right are not hard to get or coochie-poochie boutiqe at all : Seymour Duncan builds them right, and they're not wimpy pickups at all. they're on the healthy side of a Fender pickup output-wise, louder than a typical strat pickup, and they have more midrange content than a strat too.

Yep, I have proper tubes in my Silvertone amp-in-case guitar, and have great appreciation for them.

That being the case - and the Silvertone having its great composite hollow construction - there was no reason for me to have the Surfcaster. I was just seduced by its aesthetics.

Oh, I know! I played that guitar and marveled at how time-capsule-clean it is!

I've since played some solidbodies (old and new) with "proper" lipsticks in them, and that's a great sound too, and they're a punchier-than-expected pickup in a solid guitar.

I suspect Charvel used the typical far eastern-built lipsticks, like the Kent Armstrong ones, and those are some extremely sorry, wimpy, thin sounding pickups that give lipsticks a bad name.

There are not that many Danelectro style lipsticks available that are made like the old ones (a BIG honking magnet with as much coil wire wrapped around it as they could fit inside the lipstick tube housing)

But then the ones done right are not hard to get or coochie-poochie boutiqe at all : Seymour Duncan builds them right, and they're not wimpy pickups at all. they're on the healthy side of a Fender pickup output-wise, louder than a typical strat pickup, and they have more midrange content than a strat too.

– WB

I gotta say teh lipstick at a might 3.2K in that shorthorn bass and my Dano 6/4 is the warmest thump I ever got, beats even Gibson mudbucker, another favorite. That Vox bass pickup isn't in this class.

I did post about Dano lipsticks vs. Kay "pancakes' as they are known... more around the 5K range. But no replies -- maybe no one knows. Still eatin up with finding a clean Kay Value Leader bass.

I had a 90's Korean made Dano U2 Reissue and the lipsticks that came in that sounded amazing.....nothing wimpy about them at all. The new Danos (which are being made in Korea once again) are reported to have lipsticks reverse engineered from the originals using the same sand cast Alnico 6 magnets and the lipstick tubes covers are even claimed to be made from the same 80/20 brass zinc as the originals. From all I have read about the new Danos and a couple I have played in shops, I'd opt for a new Dano over an Eastwood. Of course, Dano does not have a double neck out......but may be they will do one at some point. You would have to think that a Dano 6/12 Double Neck would be pretty light for a double neck based upon the materials and hollow construction.

Register Sign in to join the conversation