Other Guitars

Eastwood Flying Banana

My son Lazarus got it today.

This is Eastwood's tribute to one of Yamaha's weirdest designs.

He likes strange and wonderful guitars, and I think this is, while heavy on the strange, drifts somewhat into the wonderful zone...at least, for him it does.

Laz says it's got a really "clean" sound, but not like a Strat. I suppose I'll have to plug it in and hear it for myself.

I did play it unplugged, and it felt nice, not buttery action, but nothing too high either. The body felt really comfortable, too, which surprised me.

Well, naturally I kinda like that. It's gloriously wacky...in a more or less successful way. I mean, for what it is.

I bet it sounds like a basswood Tele with generic Strat pickups and a GeneroMatic bridge. BUT at least the trem is not a bog-standard model, and might have some useful quirk.

Dig the hockey-stick headstock too.

The crazy person in me thinks it needs about three more pickups. Very intriguing guitar though.

A friend of mine uses a Yamaha (with P90s) in his surf band:

The body felt really comfortable, too, which surprised me.

How is it sitting down, without a strap though? I suppose it would cradle between the legs ok?

Eastwod specialzes in all the goofball, odd 1960s models, and also Supro, and yes, even the Astro-Jet.

The body felt really comfortable, too, which surprised me.

How is it sitting down, without a strap though? I suppose it would cradle between the legs ok?

– Proteus

It had a strap when he handed it to me, so I haven't sat down with it yet.

Cool. It looks like a player would be forced to place the guitar in the “proper” position when playing sitting down without a strap. I like “different”. Congrats

Eastwood custom shop also makes an SGV copy. I really love this design (and surf music in general), and it looks like a faithful reproduction of the Yamaha SGV. Even the SGV reissues from the 2000s go for good money now.

Eastwood custom shop also makes an SGV copy. I really love this design (and surf music in general), and it looks like a faithful reproduction of the Yamaha SGV. Even the SGV reissues from the 2000s go for good money now.

– Frank_NH

I got one of these(Yamaha) in a sonic blue at a yard sale for $70.00

It was a pretty decent guitar, but it was trade bait, so off it went.

What a great dad. I'll bet it's so cool having the guitar thing in common. Cool, weird, Reeves Gabrels kinda guitar there too!

What a great dad. I'll bet it's so cool having the guitar thing in common. Cool, weird, Reeves Gabrels kinda guitar there too!

– hilosean

It is great having music in common with your kids.

He bought the guitar with his own money, though. He's into his own thing.

Wildly talented and super shy...but I digress.

A drummer friend of mine went to school with Reeves in New York, Staten Island, I believe. He sees him when he goes back up that way.

Fun stuff! I LOVE guitars that look like "Scooby Doo" cartoon versions of guitars!

Fun stuff! I LOVE guitars that look like "Scooby Doo" cartoon versions of guitars!

– hellbilly

Ruh-Roh!

Love the name of the guitar! Eastwood is pumping out some interesting guitars. I wonder how it works, how they are allowed to put out these copies of guitars. Is it because they have stop producing them or the company has gone out of business? I'm surprised there hasn't been any lawsuits against them. I digress, COOL guitar Laz

Love the name of the guitar! Eastwood is pumping out some interesting guitars. I wonder how it works, how they are allowed to put out these copies of guitars. Is it because they have stop producing them or the company has gone out of business? I'm surprised there hasn't been any lawsuits against them. I digress, COOL guitar Laz

– Gretsch6123

Most of the time they license and pay royalties to the copyright holders. In the case of Airline, they bought it and own the rights.

Most of the time they license and pay royalties to the copyright holders.

Wonder if they've done that with their "Classic" series and their new Billy-Bo copy.

– Frank_NH

I've got one of those in yellow but that isn't a faithful copy its the Yamaha and Eastwood have put their name on the headstock. It still says Yamaha on the bridge and bridge pickup!

Most of the time they license and pay royalties to the copyright holders.

Wonder if they've done that with their "Classic" series and their new Billy-Bo copy.

– Proteus

They altered the shape a bit. . .

They altered the shape a bit. . .

Oh, I see now. No, that doesn't look a bit like a Gretsch...

I've got one of those in yellow but that isn't a faithful copy its the Yamaha and Eastwood have put their name on the headstock. It still says Yamaha on the bridge and bridge pickup!

– Mr Tubs

Yeah, I think the Eastman custom shop takes orders and, if there are enough, moves ahead and produces the design. So there may not be any Eastman SGVs out there yet as they are still gathering orders for it (according to the website).

I always thought the bridge pickup (single/humbucker) and controls were pretty innovative for this particular model. My biggest reservation though was the relatively narrow neck (I think it's 1 5/8"). Still, when you gotta surf...

The Surf Coasters and their SGVs!

A 2000 SGV300. Interesting pickup options and the best vibrato I've ever used. Super narrow neck.

Register Sign in to join the conversation