Other Guitars

Eastman T484 - Needs pro setup or different pickups?

I love my Eastman T484 for it's exquisite craftsmanship. Everything from the fretboard to the body binding is incredible! But it sounds "off". Maybe a little pinched or flat (the tone, not the tuning).

The previous owner installed LollarTrons, and I thought I'd like them. They're somewhere between a FilterTron and a PAF. More clarity than a PAF in the highs, but definitely not as much character as a FilterTron.

I had to raise the action a little because I think the strings may have been losing sustain due to the action being too close to the frets. But I'm no expert at setups and not sure what else to try. And not sure if the guitar needs a pro setup or different pickups that compliment it better. I've had it almost a year now, and it's just missing some life or vibe. Any thoughts?

I’d start with making sure the pickup height is set correctly. Hard to tell from your pic, but they look kinda close to the strings. Maybe go with TV Jones’s recommendations for pickup height?

I’d start with making sure the pickup height is set correctly. Hard to tell from your pic, but they look kinda close to the strings. Maybe go with TV Jones’s recommendations for pickup height?

– Hipbone

I don't have a measurement device that can go as fine as 5/32 of an inch (from TV Jones website). Probably should invest in one. But I can lower the pickups and see what changes.

Last night I started experimenting with gain settings and learned that LollarTrons really like to rock out. They wake up when using overdrive. I play mostly glassy clean, and I don't think they're happiest with that tone.

Frank’s a big Eastman guy. I’d consult with him.

UPDATE: I noticed the strings are planted firmly on the back edge of the bridge. I'll try raising the tail piece so they clear. Or top wrap the strings if necessary.

I noticed the strings are planted firmly on the back edge of the bridge.

You mean the break angle from bridge to tailpiece is so tight the strings drag on the body of the bridge after passing over the saddles?

That'll kill any harp action which contributes to resonance and juice. So yeah, raise the tailpiece to get them off there.

Or (shameless plug) I could sell you a solid one-piece bridge in choice of metals to wake it up.

Frank’s a big Eastman guy. I’d consult with him.

– Powdog

That would be Frank Giffen or fgiffen on the board here. And he does love his Eastmans (Eastmen?) -- and his Reverends -- and his Gretsches -- and his Quilters.

All I did was raise the tail piece until I could plink the string between the saddle and tail piece, and it would RING instead of going "THUNK". Now, I expected the string tension to decrease and I can feel that. But several other things happened:

1. Tuners immediately turned smoother. I mean silky smooth. And it's much easier to dial the tuning in quickly and with precision.

2. All of the sudden my pickups (LollarTrons) have bass and mid frequencies I never heard before. They're full and rich now.

3. Sustain is suddenly amazing! The notes ring out for a very long time, instead of dying out and fading away quickly.

Now this guitar is behaving like I thought is should. It was just being choked by an extremely sharp break angle.

That would be Frank Giffen or fgiffen on the board here. And he does love his Eastmans (Eastmen?) -- and his Reverends -- and his Gretsches -- and his Quilters.

– Don Birchett

Sounds like my kinda guy! LOL! I'm going to have to pick his brain about Quilters for clean tones. I played around with a MicroPro Mach 2 combo in a guitar store a couple years ago and I was impressed. Thanks!

I noticed the strings are planted firmly on the back edge of the bridge.

You mean the break angle from bridge to tailpiece is so tight the strings drag on the body of the bridge after passing over the saddles?

That'll kill any harp action which contributes to resonance and juice. So yeah, raise the tailpiece to get them off there.

Or (shameless plug) I could sell you a solid one-piece bridge in choice of metals to wake it up.

– Proteus

I've actually been looking at your bridges for my G5420t (so maybe should start a different thread).

Yes, on the Eastman semi-hollow, the tail piece was screwed all the way down. When I raised it quite a bit, the break angle got shallower and the strings stopped pressing on the back/top edge of the bridge (after going over the saddles). I just can't believe what a difference that made! I saw lots of disagreements about whether it makes a difference, but for me it sure did! I am getting more low end from the LollarTrons, and a more full and rich sound in general. I didn't want to sell it, but I wasn't happy with it. So glad I found a solution!

Now the question is: Could a solid bridge improve the tone even more? He he!

Register Sign in to join the conversation