Other Guitars

Dynasonics in a Les Paul

Anyone here have experience with the TV Jones T-Armond soapbars in a les Paul style guitar? I'm primarily looking to replace the neck P90 in my goldtop, I love the bridge P90. The neck pickup is so dark and muddy, would the TV Dyna help give more clarity? And would it balance with a Gibson p90? I loved the Dynas in my jet, but thats obviously a very different guitar than a Lester

P90s and Dynas play well together. Eddie Cochran had a P90 at the neck. Billy Zoom's Gent IIRC has that same set-up, but reversed. Neil Young's Old Black had a Dyna at the bridge before he moved onto the Firebird mini-hum -- also with a P90 on the neck.

I bet they would sound awesome in a Les Paul. I've figured out that I prefer a pickup with pole magnet slugs over bar magnets with screws in neck position pickups.

It works well enough for Les himself to have used that combo.

Yep, Les Paul did that, altough I doubt he used the bridge P90 much, if ever.

FWIW, I've had the P90 bridge - T-Armond neck combo in a telecaster body, and the T-Armond was too bright compared to the P90. If you switched from bridge to neck in that guitar, there was so little difference between neck and bridge pickups in tone that it was like almost nothing happened. Someone listening who didn't see you flip the pickup switch wouldn't have heard you switch pickups;

I'd go with an underwould neck P90- if you know someone who's handy and brave enough, you could probably even take some coil wire off the existing pickup.

Sell the LP and buy a Jet.

– wabash slim

Just sold the Jet to buy the LP

– Chmason85

And now you miss the sound of the Jet.

– Chmason85

No---you're supposed to do it the other way around.

Hahaha, it was very tough letting my jet go, but when I had the chance to get a P90 goldtop I jumped; I wanted one since 7th grade! I havent regretted it. However, my heart still remains a gretsch heart, and a full hollow body will be the next one, maybe an Annie? As for the pickups, the bridge is a snarling hell beast, but the neck is almost unusable its so dark. I've tried raising the whole pickup, lowering the body and raisinto poles, not much happens either way. I only mention the T-Armond because it'll be a drop-in replacement. Is there any other P90s I should look into for the neck to get that clarity I seek? Also, typically am a big middle position fan, but this neck pickup is not helping. Id also like to maintain the stock look

And now you miss the sound of the Jet.

– Don Birchett

Yes, but not the feel...

Yes, but not the feel...

– Chmason85

And I feel better about the sale knowing its safely in the hands of another GDP'er, Bob Howard, who I hope is still loving my old 6129!

Is there any other P90s I should look into for the neck to get that clarity

Lollar 50's wound soapbar

Lollar underwound soapbar

Fralin 5% under soapbar

Or ask Peter Florance to do a low wind neck pickup for you

Make sure there are 500K pots in your guitar (Gibson uses 300K sometimes), you'll get more clarity, and check the wiring, google "50's Gibson wiring", that's what you want for more clarity when you turn down pickup volumes. With P90's, if you have too much output and mud, try lowering the offending pickup. Output and bass content should go down.

Is there any other P90s I should look into for the neck to get that clarity

Lollar 50's wound soapbar

Lollar underwound soapbar

Fralin 5% under soapbar

Or ask Peter Florance to do a low wind neck pickup for you

Make sure there are 500K pots in your guitar (Gibson uses 300K sometimes), you'll get more clarity, and check the wiring, google "50's Gibson wiring", that's what you want for more clarity when you turn down pickup volumes. With P90's, if you have too much output and mud, try lowering the offending pickup. Output and bass content should go down.

– WB

Good advice WB and can attest to the results. My Edwards goldtop LP-92 has upgraded to 500k CTS pots and the Lollars sound great. I have posted in other threads that my Lollars are overwould and a little too hot but I'm going to switch them out for the underwound soapbar.

You could also try an alnico slug soapbar from Lindy Fralin.

And I feel better about the sale knowing its safely in the hands of another GDP'er, Bob Howard, who I hope is still loving my old 6129!

– Chmason85

I can vouch that Bob H. loves that 6129...as did everyone at the Nashville RU that got to play it.

I wonder which P90s your Gibson has? The P90s Gibson has been making recently are incredible. Is your Gibson older than about 10-12 years? They used to be a lot more highly wound than they are these days.

FWIW I often turn the neck pickup down a little compared to the bridge pickup for just this reason.

I wonder which P90s your Gibson has? The P90s Gibson has been making recently are incredible. Is your Gibson older than about 10-12 years? They used to be a lot more highly wound than they are these days.

FWIW I often turn the neck pickup down a little compared to the bridge pickup for just this reason.

– JimmyR

I'm doing the same as the Lollars in my Edwards LP are hot and I'm looking for Gilmour's "Another Brick In the Wall" solo tone.

Register Sign in to join the conversation