Other Guitars

Dunamiz Guitars (or what happens when you cross a Penguin & a Flyin…

Holy Vinguin Batman! It looks kind of cool, in a busy flying V sort of way. I like it!

Qualified yay.

There's a certain aesthetic symmetry in the forkéd headstock as a reduced mirror image of the forkéd legs below, like an idea that was meant to be.

The humpblocks look too BIG for the neck - probably because the closest adjacent part of the body is so just-barely-there. Subtle little wide vees would have been better. Or just scaled-down humpblocks.

Three pickups looks like too many for the same reason - body is just too narrow at the top to support them visually. I'd like them better direct-mounted, without the trim rings. They'd look smaller and more proportionate.

The pointless not-a-banjo armrest and spread-vee tailpiece fight for visual attention. The tailpiece should win - it symmetrically reinforces the vee theme and is functional. The armrest is in the way and a distraction.

The Synchro bridge is a nice thought (or simply a direct Penguin port), but it's visually too wide for the context.

To my eye, those elements all detract from the fitness and purity of a concept (forked headstock on forked guitar, mashup of two design themes) which is otherwise pretty cool. Hard to tell from the artiness of the photos, but I think I like what appears to be a low-gloss but not quite matte finish. Good color, suitable to the era when such a guitar, considered as alternate history, might first have been made. I really like the raised brass (?) applique wings and vertical logo.

If it's a korina body, it ought to sound fabulous. If I liked Flying Vs (from a playability standpoint) and wanted a Gretschified version, I'd have one with the changes mentioned. From what I can tell in the pics, it's nicely built.

I like it except for the armrest. Also, a Bigsby would be nice.

Hey guys, I just played that guitar a week ago. it is a friends´s guitar, really well made by my also good friends from Dunamiz. It is very cool and it sounds great. I just ordered a Flying V with them because of this one. Mine will be a "regular" 67´ (with vibrola) and no Gretsch gizmos but, man, what a cool guitar!

Call me coo-coo, but I'm a fan.

Copyright infringement. Let the lawsuits begin!

I like it!

But with no arm rest and 2 pickups please.Oh,and that bridge would have to go.

2 Dyna's would be cool on there too.

When I looked up Dunamiz and saw they were builders in Sao Paulo, I figured you'd know them, Joao.

As a sit-down player, Vs are a non-starter for me, but I like the idea here - it's just visually cluttered for my taste. Looks like a great build though. What pickups are in there, how does the switching work, and what is the body wood? Chambered?

Between these guys and Zagato, seems like you have some excellent builders in Brazil.

It’s an abomination. Everyone knows penguins can’t fly.

If it was heavily chambered, it would make it more appealing to me.

Yeah, I can't help but compare it mentally to Cam's chambered 3-Dyna Billy Bo, which my buddy Gregg - best guitar player I was ever in a band with - says is the best electric guitar he ever played. (Cam brought it to the Hoosier Daddy Roundup.)

Yeah, I can't help but compare it mentally to Cam's chambered 3-Dyna Billy Bo, which my buddy Gregg - best guitar player I was ever in a band with - says is the best electric guitar he ever played. (Cam brought it to the Hoosier Daddy Roundup.)

– Proteus

I've played that one before, and Cam's Roundup Bo as well .

I think I'm just smitten with any Billy-Bo that I pick up, because I make the assumption that whichever one I'm holding is the best guitar I've ever held. Any triple pickup or Persian Sand BB is a winner in my book, but I wouldn't throw a standard issue Bo out with the bathwater.

I'm sorry I've held onto that one, John. Your name is on it if I ever have to let it go, and I'll make sure my heirs and assigns contact you first.

Tim, it´s a very, very (very) light all solid Mahogany...

When I looked up Dunamiz and saw they were builders in Sao Paulo, I figured you'd know them, Joao.

As a sit-down player, Vs are a non-starter for me, but I like the idea here - it's just visually cluttered for my taste. Looks like a great build though. What pickups are in there, how does the switching work, and what is the body wood? Chambered?

Between these guys and Zagato, seems like you have some excellent builders in Brazil.

– Proteus

Zaganin! Marcio Zaganin is his name. I just ordered an Ash (chambered) body Telecaster with TK Smith gizmos on it. Can´t wait!

Ah, light mahogany. Like a classic slab. I have a very very (very) light Honduran mahogany Melody Maker. It's so thin, it's practically not there. Good platform.

Zaganin! Sorryman. I got four letters. That's good for my sieve.

I like the idea more than the execution, not a big fan of this particular color either. A Lonnie Mack V with two soapbar P90's is my flying Vee fantasy.

more like "Done A Miss," amirite?

I like the idea but more like a regular Jet V.

Imagine a black Dean '79 V with filters, thumbnails and a small silver plexi pickguard.

I agree with JCHiggy.

– Suprdave

Me too.

Interesting how aesthetics are subjective, often with no rational explanation, non? I find it icky, but danged if I can explain why.

And a Penguin is shaped like ... well, a penguin. The only avian thing this shape resembles is the V made by the spread wings of a soaring carrion-eater.

The Flying Vulture.

Register Sign in to join the conversation