Other Guitars

Does this new Collings 470 look a bit familiar???

"Collings Guitars and Julian Lage have joined forces once again to create something truly special - the Collings 470 JL. Refining the details of classic lines, feel and features, the 470 JL was conceived and crafted to provide access to uncharted levels of expression and dynamic range for guitarists who know no bounds. Featuring specially designed Ron Ellis pickups, exhaustively selected components and a unique trestle block design, the Collings 470 JL delivers a trueness of tone and response like none you’ve experienced before. Available in stores Summer 2020."

Just saw that too. Good chance that's going to be a fantastic guitar!

From my very limited experience over the years, Collings Guitars produces magnificent pieces..........

That bridge base looks like it has the Gretsch vintage shape. Interesting.

Recently had a work trip to NYC postponed... I was looking forward to seeing him at the Village Vanguard this past week.

He’s an amazing player and a dyna-jet style guitar suits him very well. Collings are incredible guitars. They tend to take classics, out their own bent on them, and then build them to the highest of standard. My OM puts any Martin to shame and with some careful used shopping wasn’t that much more expensive.

I expect this to be no different and it’s good for Gretsch to be inspiring modern boutique builders.

Agreed, Collings has been absolutely killing some of the classic electric guitar designs, top notch stuff! It was only a matter of time before they did a Gretsch spin.

Wow. I would love to try one, but it will be way out of my range. It would be a fantastic platform to try different pickups on too - I'm certain the Dearmond style would be amazing but I'd love to hear it with low-wind PAFs and Filter'trons as well. Even P90s.

Usually if I want a gibson style guitar I'll buy a Gibson, Fender style I'll buy a Fender, and of course for a Grestch style guitar it has be Gretsch - except if it's a Collings! Collings bring a level of detail I've not seen on any other guitar. My Gretsch may well suit me better but I would still love to try one of these.

I don’t have anything to say about this particular guitar, but I’m happy to thank Toddfan for introducing me to Julian Lage.

Two things about this guitar. If it's a Collings it will be beautifully made -- and I won't be able to afford it.

I played this little beauty through the Collings’ Magnatone yesterday. Absolutely superb. If there’s one Jet to get, it’s a... Collings? Ha... Their build quality is second to none and those Ron Ellis pickups are fantastic!

Needs a Duane Eddy arm.

Dave K - my point exactly! It's just as well. Probably.

Saw some more pics on Premier Guitar and it seems that the finish is kinda Gibson VOS style, which makes me like it even more.

So, Lage started out on an archtop, yeah? Then went to a tele. Now he's playing a Jet? Needs to make up his mind, LOL.

Aren't we getting into lawsuit material here?

Does look like a great guitar though.

K

So isn't the Gretsch Custom Shop supposed to be building them to a super high quality boutique build on a par with Collings?

Seems strange for Collings to do a take on a Gretsch when there's a custom shop doing jets

Needs a Duane Eddy arm.

– lx

and a master volume.

So isn't the Gretsch Custom Shop supposed to be building them to a super high quality boutique build on a par with Collings?

Seems strange for Collings to do a take on a Gretsch when there's a custom shop doing jets

– gretschcrush

Lage has been a Collings endorser for a while and has had a signature acoustic for a couple of years, so it's not terribly odd that they'd bring out a signature electric, and the result is consistent with what he's been playing lately. And I can see there being a market for it. On the strength of Collings' reputation, there are probably people out there who will be interested in this model who never gave much thought to Jets before. And when they see the price tag, it may prompt them to check out the actual Gretsches.

If I was going to spend that kind of money, I would just go to the Gretsch custom shop. I think sometime we forget around here how high the quality is on professional series Gretsch guitars. My 6120T '55VS is just a great guitar. I'm a bit OCD, but everytime I look at my 6120, I'm amazed at how well it's built!!! And before anyone asks, I've played more Collings guitars than I can count. Some were really nice, and some were just blah, expensive looking blah, but still blah, not once have I bucked up for one. I've heard so many people say how they are so much better than modern Gibson and Martin guitars who they have blatantly stole all their designs from, and yes they are built to a high quality standard, but I have yet to pick up a Collings that I prefer over my favorite Gibsons and Martins.

As I said, I would rather spend money on a custom shop Gretsch if I was in the market for an upscale Duojet.

I have to agree with most of what you say, Daniel. However I have never seen a Gretsch CS Jet I particularly wanted and for the most part I'm extremely happy with my VS '59 Jet. The CS Jets I have seen have all had silly features which I would not want (Penguin headstock for example) or ridiculous "wear" such as the top of the headstock scraped away. If they made a CS VS '59 Jet in a Gibson VOS style finish it might be different!

As much as I admire the Collings I35 and the equivalent fully hollow 330-style one (whatever it's called) for the incredible workmanship - and I have played a few I35s - I still prefer my nowhere-near-as-well-finished VOS CS Gibson '59 335. I guess I prefer the full-size of the 335, the finish is perfect for me as it just looks old but well-cared for (not a huge fan of super shiny), and it sounds like a great ol' 335. I admire the I35 tremendously but still like my Gibson better I guess.

The ONLY things I don't like so much about my VS '59 Jet (and they're not that big a deal) are how shiny it is and how thin the neck is. And I can live with both.

The Terada built Gretsch guitars can hold there own with any brand imo. The quality is so high I have always been dissapointed with Gretsch CS guitars as there seems very little difference in build quality. The 53 scripty jet reissue is as good as anything the CS have made apart from a finish issue etc . Ive never played a collings solid body but the semis I've tried whilst being amazing guitars were no more amazing than the current pro series.

"As much as I admire the Collings I35 and the equivalent fully hollow 330-style one (whatever it's called) for the incredible workmanship - and I have played a few I35s - I still prefer my nowhere-near-as-well-finished VOS CS Gibson '59 335. I guess I prefer the full-size of the 335, the finish is perfect for me as it just looks old but well-cared for (not a huge fan of super shiny), and it sounds like a great ol' 335. I admire the I35 tremendously but still like my Gibson better I guess."

See... I definitely prefer the smaller Collings, due in no small part to it's slightly smaller size. But that's a personal issue of course. And the Gibson VOS's are amazing instruments. I think Collings "perfected" the 335, but again- it's body size is more comfortable for me (I have never really been comfortable with my Hot Rod, especially standing up).

I'm not sure about the 470 JL, but most Collings electrics have a scale length of 24 7/8" which would probably give it a bit of a different playing feel than a 24.6" scale Duo Jet.

Hey Ruger - again, I can relate to what you're saying too! In some respects Collings might have made a"better" 335 - for some players - but because it's different from a 335 it's not a direct comparison. I like both, and in some ways I think the I35 is "better" because I like how the neck and bridge pickups are more different from each other than on a 335. I mean the neck pickup is more "semi-acoustic" sounding; more almost hollow-body sounding than on a 335, while the bridge pickup is spankier. It's a great sounding guitar.

But then there's not much wrong with how a good 335 sounds. And I like the size and feel of the 335... I even like that the strap button is on the heel, not the cutaway. Maybe if Gibson didn't build the VOS 335s I would lean towards the Collings but as it is I am more than happy with my VOS '59 335.

And I'm sure I would have this dumb conversation with myself over the Collings "Jet".

So yesterday I got out my Gretsch Jet and played it. Tweaked it some more as it's still relatively new and I find new things to do over time. Adjusted the truss rod, smoothed out the nut slots on the wound strings so it stays in tune better and the action is a little lower - and it is a great guitar. I can live with the shiny black top which shows every speck of dust and fingerprint! And the only things I have felt the need to change is the strap buttons and bridge. I have traditional Gretsch buttons on it rather than the Schallers and a SS Tru-arc on it. For what I play it's a more versatile guitar than the Collings with it's SC pickups would be.

Register Sign in to join the conversation