Other Guitars

Does a Stratocaster’s color choice determine one’s Style or Fashion

well, i built up my sunburst in homage to Richard Thompson...

I wanted a Strat. I bought the one available to me at the time. It came with a lack of color to match my lack of style.

I would like to think my PowerStrat (Power'Tron bridge humbucker) has style. I don't look at it as a fashion statement.

well, tbf ALL Strats have "style." sometimes they still look futuristic to me.

I'm kind-a partial, being a person of the "Hippie" generation, to this one:

Over 20 years ago I wanted a Strat that wouldn't cost much. This '80s Tokai was hanging on a shop wall looking much as it does now except for a bashed about maple neck with totally shot frets and floppy tuners. Rather than a refret and a set of Klusons it was cheaper to find a neck with tuners on Ebay, and that's what I have now. The guitar happened to be (sort of) white, but I'd have still bought it had it been red, black, blue, sunburst or just about anything else (OK, maybe not yellow).

just wanted to show off my lovely strat... ;7)

nice color/pickguard combination there.

Gotta pick your wardrobe accordingly!

Our late friend Bear had a pink Strat, later burst with purple, and he had a penchant for wearing orange. Guy was a biker from way back when.

Color seems irrelevant.

Or this?

– Proteus

What do ya got there Tim? Brand... model?

That's the all-aluminum one-only Proteus Iconoclaster. Hollow body, chambered all-aluminum neck, Lace Alumatone pickups (what else?), aluminum nut, slinky Hipshot two-point bridge.

It's a killer piece. Sounds incredible. Insanely dynamically responsive, with a wide dynamic range thanks to impeccable shielding and truly noiseless lo-impedance pickups. There's no noise floor. It's uncanny.

I've had a matching Tele in the works for years, but it's slipped way off the back burner. You may remember when you had a neck-less 50s Jet body (or was it a body-less neck), I talked to you about sending it to the aluminum guy to get the geometry for an Aluma Jet?

I'd still like to do that. What more appropriate to the era and the Jet iconography than a aluminum-bodied one, eh?

Guess I'm pretty much a conservative. Bone stock, aside from locking Sperzels and a removed spring from the back.

Alas- no longer mine. Sold it about a year back to fund my T5z

Our late friend Bear had a pink Strat, later burst with purple, and he had a penchant for wearing orange. Guy was a biker from way back when.

Color seems irrelevant.

– wabash slim

cant find a pic of it!

The family that plays together stays together. Daughter’s, son’s and dad’s. All inexpensive guitars that in reality don’t get that quality time, but there’s always hope.

That's the all-aluminum one-only Proteus Iconoclaster. Hollow body, chambered all-aluminum neck, Lace Alumatone pickups (what else?), aluminum nut, slinky Hipshot two-point bridge.

It's a killer piece. Sounds incredible. Insanely dynamically responsive, with a wide dynamic range thanks to impeccable shielding and truly noiseless lo-impedance pickups. There's no noise floor. It's uncanny.

I've had a matching Tele in the works for years, but it's slipped way off the back burner. You may remember when you had a neck-less 50s Jet body (or was it a body-less neck), I talked to you about sending it to the aluminum guy to get the geometry for an Aluma Jet?

I'd still like to do that. What more appropriate to the era and the Jet iconography than a aluminum-bodied one, eh?

– Proteus

I'll ping you off-line on this Tim. You've got my attention!

Well ,i've had black,candy apple red,ocean turquoise metallic,and 2 tone burst.

Only have one at the moment and its a plain old 54 2 tone burst,its Buddy's fault!

Have you seen this comparison between an electromatic and pro series? Its quite interesting! btw use good speakers, not laptop or cell phone, it matters!

I've had all kinda colors,but I like this one the most.

On the other hand, THIS ONE'S a close second....

Have you seen this comparison between an electromatic and pro series? Its quite interesting! btw use good speakers, not laptop or cell phone, it matters!

– Rockahippy

That was interesting side by side. I could here the difference for sure. When I picked up my squire strat(MIJ), it felt nicer than the current American standards at the time. But it also sounded very thin and week compared to the American standard. My uncle picked up an American standard and swapped the pups out for the lace sensors, and put the americans into my strat. Bob’s your Uncle, it sounded great!

I got the bug for this Strat after seeing a photo of one in the "Stratocaster Chronicles" Tom Wheeler book. Not sure what it says about me or my (lack of) style, but it's a keeper.

I got the bug for this Strat after seeing a photo of one in the "Stratocaster Chronicles" Tom Wheeler book. Not sure what it says about me or my (lack of) style, but it's a keeper.

– Caliban335

I don't know what it says either, but i would own one this color and a Seafoam too.

Always have liked pastel Strats.

Register Sign in to join the conversation