Other Guitars

Does a Stratocaster’s color choice determine one’s Style or Fashion

some say:

Fashion stuns. Style delights.

Fashion costs. Style is priceless.

Fashion is mindless. Style is intelligent.

Fashion is fascistic. Style is individualistic.

Fashion changes. Style evolves.

Fashion is matter. Style is spirit.

Fashion comes from outside. Style comes from within.

Fashion is self-conscious. Style is self-assured.

Fashion glares. Style glows.

Fashion is slavery. Style is mastery.

Fashion is literal. Style is original.

Fashion declares. Style insinuates.

Fashion is serious. Style is ironic.

Fashion is reproducible. Style is inimitable.

Fashion is safety. Style is courage.

Fashion is clothes. Style is character.

Fashion is this minute. Style is forever.

Fashion restricts. Style liberates.

Fashion is rigid. Style is spontaneous.

Fashion is surface. Style is substance.

Dunno but here's mine! Wildeman

If it does, I’m very traditional.

What about paisely ones?

Might suggest this is not the decade you're stuck in. If you're old enough to have been there for the first go-round - or hip enough to pull it off - maybe it's style. Otherwise it's fashion, and not even your own...

What about paisely ones?

Might suggest this is not the decade you're stuck in. If you're old enough to have been there for the first go-round - or hip enough to pull it off - maybe it's style. Otherwise it's fashion, and not even your own...

– Proteus

Au contraire... paisley is always fashionable

Well...I think it's sometimes fashionable - or always fashionable in some circles.

There's something about Mary.......

In my case, methinx, my embarrassed subconscious is attempting to at least fake a little class.

Not in my case; the color simply represented what presented itself at random to me back in the day for a good price.

naw...my 2-color-burst Strat is far more conservative than e.g. my wardrobe.

I doubt it. My old strat came to me with no finish. I'm not a nudist meself ...

I can think they’re all pretty and still not want nuthin’ to do with ‘em.

I doubt it. My old strat came to me with no finish. I'm not a nudist meself ...

– mad dog

LOLLOLLOL. thankfully, i don't have cracks near my bridge either.

Mine is just black, with a yellowing white pick guard.....picked because it was $100...I was 17, and wanted a strat.......

my white blonde parts-strat is wearing a black anodized guard these days.

Most every guitar I own is either black or white. My Strat is black with white pick guard. I don't know what that says about me.

color schemes, let's see...one 2-color burst, two jet black, one transparent burgundy, one TV yellow, one 3-color Gibson-style burst, one Sonic Blue, one parts guitar with 1960s German light blue metallic hammertone, one parts guitar with 2-color sunburst, and a Jazz Bass with whatever you call that Fender off-white that's almost beige.

one parts guitar with 1960s German light blue metallic hammertone

Like to see that.

This one's a dandy! I bought it last year, compound neck C to D, and compound fretboard 9.5" to 14". It's probably the most slick and comfortable neck I've ever played, and man do these things ever Spank! I play a total different kind of music on my Strat, than I do my other guitars. It's kind of weird how that happens, but each different style of guitar calls upon different creativity in me.

It certaily reflects one's style or fashion --- "determines" might be too strong a word. While I appreciate all the candy-colors and variety of Strats, I chose plain white --- partly because I had no other white guitars, partly because I just like it, and partly as a tribute to all the Strat players I like who also played white ones (at least some of the time). Namely:

Jimi Hendrix
Robin Trower
Curtis Mayfield
Ernie Isley
Nile Rodgers
David Gilmour
Skip Spence
Junior Marvin

...and a probably a few others I've forgotten temporarily.

Register Sign in to join the conversation