Other Guitars

Do I need a 12 string accustic?

Thinking of pulling the trigger on a very nice 12 string that is over half off due to some minor cosmetic flaws.

But do I need a 12 string? Being a lefty I’ve never played one

I do. I find they add a dimension to the folksong canon that can't be had easily with a 6. Pete Seeger was a 12-slinger, Peter Paul and Mary used one a lot, the New Christie Minstrels, et al all had a hand in forming my jones for a 12string when I was a lad. Because of that, I've had as many as three at a time over the years.

(Also- I'm a lifelong Glen Campbell fan.)

"Need" is the incorrect terminology. The question is, do you want one? :)

Well having never played one, I’m not sure...

Well having never played one, I’m not sure...

– Hipbone

It would end up collecting dust then, I promise.

Thinking of pulling the trigger on a very nice 12 string that is over half off due to some minor cosmetic flaws.

– Hipbone

You really need to try one and see if you connect with it. I'm sure finding a lefty is easier said than done.....

Can't tell from your post if you have access to the one you're considering.....

I don’t have access to it... it would be an online purchase

I recently heard someone say Leadbelly played a 12-string tuned B-B.

I would like to try an electric.

One of my first guitars was an acoustic 12 string. It was all I played. A very cool sound and pretty versatile. I certainly have one. However I don't play it tonnes as a regular 6 string covers more ground. I think if you think you'll play it and really like the sound then go for it. Unless you're a session player or someone in a particular tribute band then need doesn't come into it. WANT! They are very cool though. I find acoustic and electric 12-strings to be VERY different from each other

l like the 1960s Gibson B-25-12 and B-45-12. They had 2" wide necks.

I occasionally think I would like a 12 string because it would offer sounds similar to an octave mandolin but you could fret more complex chords on 6 pairs of strings than on 4. I then entertain that thought for a few weeks, drop it, and return to it two years later. This cycle has been established for probably 20 years and I must say that I had a nice, fulfilled and varied life without a 12 string. But then I could really imagine how nice it would be to have one...

Need/want? If you’re in a position to get one at a good deal and you don’t end up liking it, it seems to me that you could sell it and get your money or most of it back; especially as a lefty. Any small loss could be chalked up to the learning experience of determining whether or not it is what you need or want.

I recently heard someone say Leadbelly played a 12-string tuned B-B.

I would like to try an electric.

– hammerhands

Leadbelly played a Stella 12 string. I'm not sure about the B-B tuning, but many 12 string players tune to D and capo up as it's easier on the neck, and easier on your fingers. 12s are rich sounding instruments. It'd still be a good idea to try one before you buy.

You can't play everything on a 12 string but there are things for which a 6 string just doesn't substitute. My advice is go for it but then I have three (2 acoustic and one electric).

I raised the same question about a 12 string electric recently. I reasoned with myself that the fact I own versions of a Strat, Tele, a Gretsch, a couple of different P90 Jr's, 335 and a baritone that a 12 string would be a completely different animal than the rest.

– Hipbone

Of course you need a 12 string! We are, after all a bunch of enablers here on the GDP.

Well, it depends. Do you want to go through life never having owned a 12 string?

I’ve owned a few 12 strings over the years. Only really connected to ONE.But that Guitar was a blast to play. It does add another dimension for sure. I would suggest you play it first. I’ve had a few that were beautiful and a great deal, but they just didn’t “do it” for me

If you have room to keep it somewhere, why not?

I just borrowed one for a session and I must admit it’s got a thing!

I recently faced the same question...and, I succumbed to a Taylor 362ce.

How much time do you have for tuning?

K

Meditated on it this morning and decided to purchase it.

It’s an Eastman Ac830 Jumbo. Engleman spurce top with rosewood sides and back.

Was able to get it for a very good price. Now comes the fun wait until it shows up.

Ebony board, looks rather nice.

Register Sign in to join the conversation