Other Guitars

dig deep for this Paul

No way.... the price per pound is higher than kobe beef!

Ummm............NO!!! Les Pauls are OK, but I don't like them THAT much. Besides, 'burst Les Pauls are my least favorite Les Pauls.

Not even if it was actually Les Paul's guitar.

Someone will buy it---there's one born every minute.

Thats pretty high priced...original bursts haven't been going for as much lately. I'd be interested in knowing how much he paid for it.

Bigsby on a Gibby! I'm thinking fugazi. As usual, what do I know.

Not sure why prices got so cockeyed on the last 2 yrs for this model (original issue) At the time it wasn't selling well, Les Paul's music had gone out of style, and it hadn't been found by rock and roll such as it was then.

Even real rarities like Vs and Explorers are priced lower?

There's a book (author's name escapes me at the moment) as to how soon some '58-'60 LPs could hit a million dollars. Most of it is due to perceived hype around early '60s British players finding a "magic" guitar in the LP. Oddly, Gibson apparently was dumping LPs in England as they were touting SGs here as LPs weren't selling as well as they once did. Not saying that they're bad guitar---just the opposite---but, the cachet of being the best ever is just major exaggeration. Because Clapton, Page and others made magic with them is more due to the player than the guitar.

There's a book (author's name escapes me at the moment) as to how soon some '58-'60 LPs could hit a million dollars. Most of it is due to perceived hype around early '60s British players finding a "magic" guitar in the LP. Oddly, Gibson apparently was dumping LPs in England as they were touting SGs here as LPs weren't selling as well as they once did. Not saying that they're bad guitar---just the opposite---but, the cachet of being the best ever is just major exaggeration. Because Clapton, Page and others made magic with them is more due to the player than the guitar.

– wabash slim

Good analysis -- I guess Clapton had it first in 1965 finding it thru a Marshall was a sound no one had imagined before.

So none made from 61 thru 67, with the first reissues in '68, IIRC.

Surprised that Joe Bonamassa doesn’t own it yet... but it does have a bigsby.

Register Sign in to join the conversation