Other Guitars

Derringer stuff

it wasn't an album...Paul joined a NYC Ringo's All-Starr Band show to play "Birthday" on Ringo's 70th birthday, and Rick was a member of the tour ensemble.

https://www.bradenton.com/n...

derringer at his best..with the winter brothers..edgars -frankenstein or johnnys version -rock and roll hoochie koo

cheers

Also, he was the band leader on Cyndi Lauper’s Paris Concert in 1987. Great band. Great show.

Also, he was the band leader on Cyndi Lauper’s Paris Concert in 1987. Great band. Great show.

– Bob Howard

An amazing performance, when she sits on the edge of the stage for the encore. . .

I saw Rick and Johnny at Tradewinds, a small club in Sea Bright NJ. There might have been 50 people in the crowd, great show.

I remember Johnny forgot he had the slide in his mouth and tried to sing.

Derringer was part of the bill for my first rock concert. August 13 1977, Chicago's Soldier Field. It was one of the 'Superbowl of Rock' series of shows held there back in the day.

UFO opened the event, their 'Lights Out' LP still being pretty fresh at the time.

Rick Derringer followed up and pretty much torched the crowd of 60,000. He was amazing, great set. He was called back for 3 encores. 'What the f@#k do you want, blood?!'

When Bob Seger & The SBB came on afterward, people were wanting more. Seger didn't match the energy level of Derringer, but he had the weight of his material to push him through. It helped that Alto Reed blew a sax solo from the basket of a hot air balloon suspended over the stage. That was a pretty cool moment.

But by the time Peter Frampton came on to close a full afternoon of music, everyone was ready to rock out or go home.
He was still riding the crest of '..Comes Alive' success, but it was not a stellar set that day. He had made the choice to start with an acoustic, winding up into the full electric band. That move didn't win the crowd that day.

People started hurling their mostly empty gallon water jugs skyward, making it rain. That part was kind of fun, it cooled people off and looked kind of amazing; to see literally thousands of plastic jugs flying in the air, like popcorn.

It was when fans in the front started tossing them on stage at Frampton, that things got tense.
He's trying to get through 'It's A Plain Shame' while dodging these projectiles being pelted at him. When he finished the song he had to implore the crowd not to throw their water jugs onto the stage. "There's a lot of electrical gear up here. You wouldn't want me to go up in a big poof of smoke, would you?"

The crowd roared back; "YEAH!!"

The way I saw it? Rick Derringer seized the momentum of that long hot August day and never surrendered it.

image host

Johnny Winter And Live w/Derringer is a favorite, along with Steely Dan's "Show Biz Kids/Las Vegas"...

Rick's slide playing makes that whole song.

I found the Sloopy/Hollywood Back Lot video years ago, looks circa 1969, they all have longer hair compared to their 1965 Beatles look.

Well since we're also talking Johnny Winter here-- believe it or not he was a Music Man amp hardcore right up to the end, long after most people stopped being eaten up with them.

Anyway here is a vid of him doing Highway 61 when one of his 4-10 MM amps caught fire... looks like even the speaker cones lit up. Dig the scene!

There are shorter clips that show just the fire.

I don't know why, but the Sloopy clip sent me on a short meditation on time and gravity.

I don't know why, but the Sloopy clip sent me on a short meditation on time and gravity.

– Proteus

Me too. Love gravity.

All American Boy.

Register Sign in to join the conversation