Other Guitars

DEMENTED doubleneck idea

Even tho it has been a truly sucky day w/ the Vegas and Petty news, I put this forth.

I have been eaten up with guitar/bass doublenecks for a number of years. 6/12 doublnecks,6/ 6 baritone, etc not so much. I have had a few old Danos, a Carvin etc. but none were really performance quality things in my view and had stupid narrow necks anyway.

No one gives a damn about 6/4s.

Gibson made about 30 6/4s in the 60s and those are crazy hi-$.

So I come across this mutant --

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cus...

Someone actually put an EB-O and SG together. Would 2 bodies like that have been joined w/ just glue, or some kind of metal pins connecting them, or both?

You can a get perfectly good US made SG and SG (formerly EB) bass for $700 each...

Wood glue is amazingly strong, but for that idea I'd plan on mechanical devices, 'tho I didn't see any on that one. Could've been they're hidden.

My back hurts just looking at that.

So, would you use a guitar amp or a bass amp?

I would have it set up for 2 amps.

Biscuit joinery & wood glue should be enough to hold that assembly together.

Essentially, you cut a slot in each of the wooden objects to be joined, insert some pieces of wood (buttered with wood glue) into the slots, add wood glue to the mating surfaces between the two guitar bodies, & clamp it up.

While the glue is setting, you'll have plenty of time to make an appointment with your chiropractor!

Dang you know a lot about this!

often these come in right around 12 pounds... I know a 77 banjo player honkin' around a 13 pound metal rim/rum banjo...

I could hack it. Remember, 6/4s are the only doublenecks that matter .

No, a 8/6 mando/guitar would be pretty nice, too.

I have to restrain myself from Another Demented Project - just walk on by.

How about affixing a Gibson solid body - cut the body half way between the upper edge of the body and the pups - to an accordion. Now that would be something to look at!! No idea about the ease of playing the left hand with a guitar attached to the bellows, but it would be an eye-catcher!

Glad I didn't see this while it was on the market, I might have bought it. Ya think it's got much of a neck dive issue?

For extra safety I would probably add two threaded rods to the join between the two sawed bodies as well as the biscuits and glue. Drill each body across between the two and insert a 1/2in threaded rod to support the weight as far across the bodies as possible. There are places where you can make this happen without interfering with the pickups. Drill the holes to the outside diameter of the rod, then partly fill with glue. Insert rods and the glue will set up around the threads. Might add about 8-10 ounces to the weight (which a little routing elsewhere could mitigate), but it sure would be a strong joint.

I've had a hankering for a double neck since I first got my hands on a Peavey Hydra back in the 80's, but anytime I've picked on up, my back has looked at me funny and asked how long I plan to hang to all that dead weight!

Plus, I'm only 5'8", and if you think a 6120 looks big on me.....

How about affixing a Gibson solid body - cut the body half way between the upper edge of the body and the pups - to an accordion. Now that would be something to look at!! No idea about the ease of playing the left hand with a guitar attached to the bellows, but it would be an eye-catcher!

– Windsordave

Like an accordion isn't heavy enough as it is.

Maybe this will be an eventual project if I can find someone who can do the assembly/join. Beyond that, finish-assembly-set up I know people.

Register Sign in to join the conversation