Other Guitars

Darkness in the Abyss thread.

This is a refinished 1951 Epiphone Zephyr Regent. I bought it mid-90's already painted with the P90. I added the Bigsby and dice knobs.

Purdy SD! No question that black guitars are classsssy!

2007 Rickenbacker 660-12

– Caliban335

This is killin’ me.

I have the exact same critter on order from Andy Babiuk’s place. There are few concepts as diametrically opposed as “Rick” and “quick”.

1951 Epiphone Zephyr Regent.
It's been modded...a bit.
TV Jones Classics in the bridge and neck, and a Magnatron in the middle. Plus a Codina strap, for good measure!

My only blackie: Gibson Howard Roberts Fusion III

The Argus is pretty handsome, Caliban. More or less a Bass VI, I guess...have you compared it directly to the Squier, by any chance? Betterworse?

– Proteus

Yes, it's basically a Bass VI clone. I have never played the Squier. I went with the Argus for the neck width; 1.75" on the Argus vs 1.65" on the Squier.

I've since decided I don't want a six string bass and put it up for sale in Garage Sale.

This is a refinished 1951 Epiphone Zephyr Regent. I bought it mid-90's already painted with the P90. I added the Bigsby and dice knobs.

– Jeff H

Jeff - check out post #83.
What are the odds??
I bought 51 Zephyr Regent in Phoenix around '84 and it had also already been refinished and pups changed. I added the TV Jones and Bigsby.

Forgot this one; 2006 Thinline Tele with Lollar CC in the neck position.

Cal, I got the Squier - and haven't had time to make friends with it yet or not. I don't think for my purposes (whatever it turns out those are) that the nut width would be make-or-break. How was the quality on the Agile? I generally like their stuff.

Oh...and a CC in the neck on a Tele makes perfect sense. You remind me I intend to do that one day.

Jeff - check out post #83.
What are the odds??
I bought 51 Zephyr Regent in Phoenix around '84 and it had also already been refinished and pups changed. I added the TV Jones and Bigsby.

– db62

db - mine was bought from a dealer in Dallas around '95. He said it was used in a Coors ad. I've always considered adding an additional (bridge position) pickup to mine.

Cal, I got the Squier - and haven't had time to make friends with it yet or not. I don't think for my purposes (whatever it turns out those are) that the nut width would be make-or-break. How was the quality on the Agile? I generally like their stuff.

Oh...and a CC in the neck on a Tele makes perfect sense. You remind me I intend to do that one day.

– Proteus

The Agile is a solid build. Looks great & plays nicely. The vibrato assembly is good, but not great. A vibrato from Fender USA or Mastery would be better, but they'd be half the cost of the guitar.

This thread forced me to pull out this guitar and photograph it. I believe that this is about a 1972 Les Paul Custom. It hasn't been played for some years now. It's a shame. If I ever get back into rock music, it will come out again.

And, since Baby's In Black, I thought I would share this 350V63. It is approximately a 1993 model year.

Another one I forgot; a 1979 Epiphone Genesis Deluxe. The heaviest guitar I've ever slung over my shoulder.

Man, the Genesis is handsome. I had a Carvin DC150 from about the same era, even something of the same look with stunted little cutaway horns. It also weighed a silly ton.

What's the Genesis sound like? Hard-rockin' sustain monster, I assume. Still, I'd have one just for the look...

Rock's not coming back, Ric. That fad is over!

Owned this in the 80's, and never quite knew what it was at the time (some serious mods had already taken place), nor how it began life. Bought it from a shop in Georgia (Atlanta?) as I recall.

Whoa! I forgot my Electra P-Bass:

Man, the Genesis is handsome. I had a Carvin DC150 from about the same era, even something of the same look with stunted little cutaway horns. It also weighed a silly ton.

What's the Genesis sound like? Hard-rockin' sustain monster, I assume. Still, I'd have one just for the look...

– Proteus

The Genesis did sustain like Nigel's Les Paul. The pickups were not stock when I got it and sounded awful. The plan was to replace them with Zhangbuckers, but I decided it was just too heavy and sold it. Epiphone put out a re-issue a few years ago, but I have no idea how true the new model was to the original.

My photos disappeared! Oddly enough, it was after someone had commented on them, so I know they were visible at some point. Weird. Here they are again. Left to right: MJT, homebrew, and 53RI.

Closer view... No larger on the screen, though!

Register Sign in to join the conversation