Other Guitars

D’angelico EXL-1 is Stupid Deal Of The Day

retnev, what strings do you have on the EXL-1's and what color are your guitars?

– ThePolecats

One black and one Blonde/spruce. Enormous guitars, but if you played gibson your entire life it might kill you. It has a Strat Scale length.

I use GHS bright flats 11-52s as I can remember. The guitars are duller with those strings, but still responsive.

But then, I am looking for a specific sound, these EXL's can be anything you want and responds well to about any string you throw at them.

I can't help but notice musiciansfriend has 15 of these blue ones for sale that are customer returns that can't be a good sign. Hopefully the one i ordered is a good one.

Might not necessarily suggest an issue. At the reasonable prices these sell for, even at list (and a usual MF discount), I can imagine a lot of guys indulged a long-held curiosity and low-grade fever for a big blue jazz guitar, then got them in hand and didn't know what to do with then.

Most of us really have no business with such tools. Low prices let us try them on as costume guitars, then decide whether they fit.

With all this talk of alternate jazzboxes such as EXL-1's, GB10's etc which I have and can compare, for price dont throw away the Gretsch Streamliners especially the G2420T Streamliner. I bought one for my daughter and boy is it a nice guitar.

She is studying in a far off country and wanted an allround guitar. After months looking for whatever was available, I was quite shocked to find streamliners qualified to do about everything except Van Halen Dive bombs. Acoustically they sound really nice, and plugged in, well you will get all the Gretsch "Rockabilly Crash" you need, Jazz tones, All the AC/DC Malcolm Young Rhytm you will need etc. It is NOT a beginner guitar. I can gig with it forever no reservations.

To be honest the Streamliner she got made me green. It outplays my expensive Gretch in so many ways. The pickups are 3/4 filtertrons but enough to give you that "crash sound" only a Gretsch can do. I didnt need to replace the pickups with TV Jones at all.

They go for very little money and they sound absolutely great acoustically and can do 90% what other high end Gretches can do. Neck plays great, bigsby is great, I would just change the bridge to a roller ($12 )and spend an extra $30 for locking tuners. She really likes it and dont even want to play my fancy Gretch when she visits. All the negatives of the vintage models have been addressed IMO.

Streamliners goes for as little as $400 ! She really like my EXL-1's but she prefers her streamliner. Maybe the planets aligned ? I will have to get another one sometime to see if they are all that good, so dont take my good experience as fact..

Might not necessarily suggest an issue. At the reasonable prices these sell for, even at list (and a usual MF discount), I can imagine a lot of guys indulged a long-held curiosity and low-grade fever for a big blue jazz guitar, then got them in hand and didn't know what to do with then.

Most of us really have no business with such tools. Low prices let us try them on as costume guitars, then decide whether they fit.

– Proteus

You are probably right. I think these we're just an impulse buy to a lot of people that didn't know what to expect from a jazz guitar.

Well it showed up last night It plays surprisingly easy given the scale length and large strings and large body. I was actually kinda looking forward to fighting it but it plays like butter. The fret work is perfect. The stock strings make it sound kind of bright and tinny so I will get some flat wounds on it. And they wound up price matching guitarcenter like Beatbyrd said I just sent an email. These were a steal.

Holler that's a beauty. If you don't mind me asking how much did it cost? They matched GC price but how much was that? Mine at GC was $599 but the $599 was on sunburst and blonde not Blue. They didn't even have blue in stock. I recall seeing one there about a month ago but it sold quick and before any sales on them.

As far as the strings go they are made of Zinc so that is an unusual metal for a string when most are steel or nickel. Flats would be nice but if you do flats then go with Thomastik. Maybe just my opinion but Thomastiks are the best, even better than Pyramids. You can go with wounds if they are pure nickel they should sound good and much better than the Zinc strings on it now. I think the zinc are fine but I will put flats on but first I will try some pure nickel and probably 80/20 acoustic strings too first.

I paid 599$ for it after the price match. I saw Beatbyrds post and figured I would give it a shot. I sent them the link for the sunburst that still showed the sale price the day after it ended. The response I got was (I went ahead and matched that for you thanks) Im leaning towards the thomastik strings I will probably grab a set.

Register Sign in to join the conversation