Other Guitars

D’angelico EXL-1 is Stupid Deal Of The Day

I own one and really love it. Nice jazz box.

nice looking guitar for a decent price.

I've played a couple, and I kind of wanted to hate a "made to a price point in a korean factory guitar with the D'Angelico name on it", but they were surprisingly nice. Nice chunky neck too, and long scale. I thought the pickup was junk, but that's an easy fix. That's a killer price for one of those.

Rats! Missed it.

I do have an '79 Ibanez GB10 on the way that I practically stole, so I'm not too distressed...

You mean, "Glad I missed it" because now you can buy today's Stupid deal of the Day instead:

American Audio ELS 8 GO LTW Portable Battery-powered 8 in. PA Speaker with LEDs and Mic

Well, that certainly IS stupid alright...

HOly geez, that's a great price for such a guitar. Wish I had any business with such a thing, but there's just no point...

At that price, though...if a guy ever had a hankering for a jazzer, it's a no-brainer. I'd say it ought to sell like hotcakes - but is it possible it's so discounted because hotcakes haven't been selling?

This blond version is gorgeous! and that demo tune highlights how nice it sounds!

An Art Deco base would complete the retro look.

Go for it Hollerbody!

Thanks for the info, Spike. I ordered the natural finish one. I grew up constantly hearing the chestnuts about 'no free lunch' and 'nothin fer nothin', so I can't help but wonder why the heck anyone would be selling a list price $2000+, regular price $1400 guitar (hard case included) for $600. Balsa wood? Defective glue? Lead fret wire?

This crazy sale price is cheaper than buy one, get one free. I'm not sure that I truly need or will even enjoy the guitar. It IS highly rated everywhere I looked. But, at this price it's either gonna be a fantastic new member of the family or a likely profitable flip to CL.

Well I pulled the trigger and bought one yesterday.

Even tho I occasionally check the Stupid Deal of the Day now and then I was not aware of the Stupid Deal of the Day on this particular guitar until I saw this thread and of course it was too late and I probably would not have ordered one anyway. I don't mind buying online but I was not really in the market even though I have been eyeing these for some time. Well this thread went from Stupid Deal of the Day to GC having these for $599 including the case.

Some of you may wonder why they are selling these so low and surprised at this too but this isn't the first time GC or Musician's Friend has dome something like this. Recall maybe 10 years ago someone was blowing out Gretsch Tennseans? The ones with the HiloTrons. I forgot if it was GC or MF but I think they were only $800. Some of you reading this may have taken advantage of this.

Well anyway since GC had these D'Angelicos for so low and case was included I was tempted to buy one since I been looking for some time even tho wasn't really in the market for one.

First off I called the GC sales line that is listed on all their flyers and their web page and asked why are these so low. The rep said because the Christmas holiday season is coming up and this is called a Door Buster to bring in the Christmas season. It's kind of to bring attention to GC and to get people in the door. I asked if this price was good for in store sales of this guitar and he said yes. So I have a local GC about 10 miles away so I went there rather than mail order.

I get there and asked the salesman I normally deal with about it. He said that he would take one off the wall for me since it was on the top level. He brought the blonde one down. I liked it of course. Reminded me of the Gibson L5 (1958) model that some guy had in front of the library earlier this year. I did a thread on that. He also said that the sunburst was part of the sale and brought that off the wall for me. I tried it out and the sunburst actually sounded better. I love natural blonde but that one really isn't necessary as I have a natural blonde P90 hollow body already so I thought I'd chose the best sounding regardless of color. I do like the sunburst anyway. So after about an hours trying both of them plugged in and acoustically I did settle for the sunburst. Also plugged in it sounded better. Other than that the guitars felt the same.

Okay to further complicate it he went back and found a brand new one in the box and said maybe I'd want one right out of the box but of course to try it first. It was sunburst but the odd thing is the sunburst was different, it had a bit more of a red hue to it and here is the oddest, the frets and neck were different. The beautiful ornate headstock was the same but the neck felt fatter and the frets were bigger, maybe you may call them jumbo frets. I'll get to the sound in a minute. I never played a guitar with jumbo frets but have with chunky necks. The neck chunkiness was no issue at all, I like that but the previous guitars necks were by no means small. They were nice a big enough to feel comfortable. The problem with the newest model I played was the frets. I had a heck of a time doing chord changes. Open chords fine but bar chords I could not do it. I know with my Mosrite with almost no frets I can do chord changes but it's hard to get a clean sounding chord with the no frets but with this latest D'Angelico the GC salesman brought out I could not really switch to clean chords so that alone was a deal breaker. Now for sound. The sound of the newest one was a little louder acoustically but the first sunburst sound was a bit more focused. I may not be explaining this so well. Plugged in for some reason the first sunburst sounded much better. I am not sure if it was the pickup or differences in the actually acoustic sound coming thru the pickup. I thought the second or latest sunburst sounded fine acoustically although less focused but the fact that the jumbo frets made it hard to change chords and the sound of it plugged in was better on the first sunburst that I went with the first sunburst. Likelihood is I'll play these unplugged most the time just because I can and I don't need to plug in to hear it but with that said I will use it plugged in too, just not as much.

So I was there about an hour and forty five minutes. I really appreciate the salesman for bringing out the third guitar or second sunburst because even tho I bought the second one it was good to compare it to the second guitar or first sunburst because you never know I may have liked that one better, no one knows until I try it.

By the way the salesman said the prices are low on that model because not only is it a "Door Buster" but they get new models for the Christmas season that they think will be big sellers so they want to free up room on the wall and floor and backroom for those and sell of those that don't sell so fast. The blonde they had for about six months he said, and I do recall it there that long. The second one or first sunburst was there for about a month he said. I do recall a blue one there a couple of months ago and I go there every couple weeks and that was sold within two weeks of me seeing it. Blue in photos looks kind of unappealing to me but I have seen it in person and I actually think it looks beautiful. Blue is a good choice but if it came down to it I like the sunburst and I'd get that or I'd get the blonde had it sounded the best.

Well that was long but I wanted to kind of give you a play by play since I bought a guitar you all are interested in either buying or just interested in reading about since you contributed to this thread.

By the way as noted above I was not in the market and told myself to lay off a bit because I spent $2,100 on the 1965 Mosrite Mark V and also a Partscaster (made with real Fender parts but of different origin) for $199 plus tax right before I bought the Mosrite plus I bought a Ruger 10/22 a few weeks back for $319 plus tax and also the background check and safety test. So I was going to stop buying anything for awhile but this $599 with case was way too good to pass up on since I liked it and was eying it for some time. Had this been online only I would not have bought it. I am cool with buying online, I do it all the time but I figured I would check it out in person and in person after trying I really liked the guitar so I just had to have it. If online only I would not have been so tempted to buy it. Later I can always sell it and once GC stops selling at these prices and they are regular price I think I can sell it and get my money back but I don't see myself selling it of course as I just got it.

By the way they had a D'Angelico flat top acoustic and I could not believe how great it sounded. It's called the Delancey I think and it's all mahogany, top back and sides. To me it sounded as good as a $2,000 Martin or Taylor. I know most Martin and Taylor are traditionally spruce top and this D'Angelico was mahogany so there is a difference of sorts but it sounded really beautiful. It is $349 I think. How can a $349 acoustic sound really that good? It does. I can't buy it plus I have a flat top, a Tokai Jumbo Acoustic similar to a Gibson since they copied Gibson. Similar to the Astoria that Bonehead from Oasis is holding in the "Wonderwall" video.

http://www.guitarcenter.com...

I had every intention of getting one of these. I have a handmade Kent Armstrong floater that I've had for years that I got for a project that went another way, so I thought this would be the perfect vehicle for it.

BUT, I didn't want to order one, I wanted to play a few, like Polecat got to.

I was bummed to find out that not one of the three Guitar Centers in my neck of the woods had any at all in stock. Apparently for SF Bay Area GC's, they don't even stock these, only a couple semi-hollows.

Just saved myself $600....I guess....

Rhythmisking did you call the main sales number for GC and ask them if the SF stores had them in stock or did you check with the stores yourself? I ask because when I was on the phone with the main sales line for GC they checked the Pasadena (CA) store for this guitar and they said they had none but I knew from being there shortly before that they had some. I thought maybe they sold them from the few days I was there to that day. But I went anyway and they had the three I tried. The main GC number sales guy must have checked the inventory for the store online but the computer database was wrong. You should check with the store directly if you went thru the main GC line.

I play it mostly unplugged. I was thinking of putting Pyramid flats on because I love flats on an electrified jazz box but for acoustic I am not too keen on flats. Since I play it mostly unplugged so far I think I will stick to rounds. I may later put flats on wheen the stock strings wear out. The stock are D'Angelico Electriczinc strings in 12. Pretty good strings. I may try some 80/20 acoustic strings too if I don't plug in just out of curiosity. I have a Samm Ash house brand acoustic archtop by Brownsville with John Pearce 80/20 that sounds amazingly good. Great archtop acoustic tone. It has spruce top with mahogany back and sides. At the $200 price it has to be laminated but it sounds rich and full. I don't even think the D'Anggelico can sound as good acoustically with 80/20s on it but I may want to try just to compare. On its on though it sounds good acoustically but was meant to be plugged in as much as it was meant to be unplugged.

Thanks for the info, Spike. I ordered the natural finish one. I grew up constantly hearing the chestnuts about 'no free lunch' and 'nothin fer nothin', so I can't help but wonder why the heck anyone would be selling a list price $2000+, regular price $1400 guitar (hard case included) for $600. Balsa wood? Defective glue? Lead fret wire?

This crazy sale price is cheaper than buy one, get one free. I'm not sure that I truly need or will even enjoy the guitar. It IS highly rated everywhere I looked. But, at this price it's either gonna be a fantastic new member of the family or a likely profitable flip to CL.

– beatbyrd

beatbyrd when do you expect it to come in? I am looking forward on your take of the guitar.

This is the Brownsville. May not look like much but it sounds amazing -

beatbyrd when do you expect it to come in? I am looking forward on your take of the guitar.

– ThePolecats

Supposed to arrive tomorrow before end of day. Even though the sale was stated to end yesterday, the price was still marked low this morning. I briefly toyed with the idea of buying two of them, waiting a month, and then flipping one to offset the price of the other. The only thing that stopped me was the feeling that these might be a bit hard to move, as opposed to (mounted pickups / built in electronics) 'rock' guitars.

You know your idea of buying an extra one is not a bad idea at all. You just would have to wait until the $599 deal is long gone before putting it up for sale. Yeah maybe it would take some time to move it but I believe most guitars are hard to move fast, it just takes time. One has to be patient when selling guitars.

That's great that tomorrow you should be receiving it. Let us know your first impressions of it.

Anyone know the difference between the A model and non-A? specs are not shown to mirror each other but they are similar. The more expensive A model has no pickup.

https://dangelicoguitars.co...

Looks like the sale runs to midnight. Would be fun to mod one kinda like Chet's.

Register Sign in to join the conversation