Other Guitars

custom shop concept goes over the cliff

On the other hand, (reasonably) sublime to this ridiculous, is this beauty, which Ebay suggests anyone shopping the art-class-project Gibson consider.

Carved in one piece from a single chunk-o-wood. Cool hardware. (Though if they want that much of my money, they ought at least tell me whether the ceramic!-magnet pickups are single or double coil. That might be the deciding factor.)

– Proteus

Yet another guitar labelled....choose your adjectives...-ugly. Toss it on the fire!

Should be the illustration attached to the definition of the expression, "beaten with an ugly stick."

Let's not totally lose sight of the fact that this is a Byrdland. The current price on a Byrdland is $8999. Take off $1000 to cover the cost of a top-notch pro refin. Add $500 for the nifty engraved hardware and the fact that it has a Venetian cutaway rather than the retched Florentine cutaway of current production, and $8499 seems about right. They're taking offers. Maybe they'd knock it down by $51,500.

Re the Sauvage... is it truly "one piece"? As in the neck and body are a single thing, no joinery whatsoever?

That appears to be what they claim, Kevin.

Then if I may be so bold, why the TRC, with prominent screw fastener? Can't be a whole lot of "give" in that neck can there?

Can't answer that, but it's still plausible.

You might think 100-year-old ash would be so stable as to pose little risk of twisting or bowing, but I'm not enough of a wood expert to evaluate that. In any case, if I was spending the kind of money the builder knew he'd be asking for this guitar, I wouldn't want to bear any risk that the neck might go wonky. I have no way of knowing if the guy planed the top of the neck and routed a truss rod cavity just to assure its stability - or if he wanted a maple fretboard and was going to shave it anyway, and took that opportunity to truss it up. In either case, the presence of a truss rod doesn't diminish the integrity of the one-piece-ness for me.

He's also had to have cut the back or the top off in order to chamber it, and further molested that one piece of wood – and more invasively than by installing truss rod and maple fingerboard. Still, if the basic "armature" of the guitar - body (shell, after the chambering) and neck - is made of one continuous piece of wood, that's cool.

The information provided, though, doesn't specifically say it was carved as one continuous piece, from the wood. Just that it was carved from the single piece. Could well have been done in pieces and glued together.

That wouldn't be as cool conceptually, but aesthetically, it makes no difference. Y'either like the design or you don't. I do.

I also have no idea if there would be any acoustic consequences from carving it as a continuous piece as opposed to (obviously carefully) gluing together separate body and neck cut from the same piece of wood. I don't know if one method would produce a different or better tone than the other. My instinct is that most of any difference is conceptual, not actual.

Allen Ludden has his own signature Gibson model?

Allen Ludden has his own signature Gibson model?

– duojet55

Bet Betty White would like that one!

That guitar is butt ugly - at any price.

Re the Sauvage, it being one piece wouldn't have any bearing on the need for a truss rod. Truss rods have nothing to do with wood joints. They counteract bowing of the neck, nothing else.

Reminds me of walking down the hall at my grandparents' house and seeing the farmed pictures of their grandparents. Good lord.

Picture farms? I'd like to see that.

Register Sign in to join the conversation