Other Guitars

Creston Jazzmaster

It's not as whacky as a DiPinto Galaxie, but in similar spirit:

What's the middle pickup? What's the bar thing before the bridge? A roller? Lipstick pickup?

As I understand it, the middle pickup is a Gold Foil and the pickups behind the bridge is a lipstick. Lea uses a fair amount of Lollar product in his builds, so the pickups may well be Lollars.

The girl from the Surfrajettes plays that brand guitar and has her own sig model.

I don't find the guitar with the lipstick behind the bridge on Creston's site. Is it your guitar? Where can I learn more?

At first kneejerk conditioned prejudiced glance, of course I go "yuck, who would want a pickup on the harp?" Then I remember, duh, I might. I claim to like the enharmonic overtones emanating from that nether region of the guitar's suspension system - and to think it contributes to the distinctive sound of guitars so equipped - so why wouldn't I want to hear it even more amplifieder, and see if I like it that way?

Sometimes my kneejerk prejudices blind me from seeing clearly.

Because of the great GDP Data Fire I have to remember things. I'd look up the date of the Data Fire, because I can't quite recall when it was. Stumbling around the ashes, poking about, I can't find the charred remnants of a discarded data calendar anywhere.

But anyway, I distinctly remember seeing a picture of a weird 50s Dynasonic 6120 in a thread, back when everything was complete, that was supposedly used by Elliot Easton to play the solo on the Car's 'Best Friend's Girl' and it had an extra pickup.....behind the bridge. And an extra control knob to blend it in.

I remembered this. And this thread is why.

I don't find the guitar with the lipstick behind the bridge on Creston's site. Is it your guitar? Where can I learn more?

At first kneejerk conditioned prejudiced glance, of course I go "yuck, who would want a pickup on the harp?" Then I remember, duh, I might. I claim to like the enharmonic overtones emanating from that nether region of the guitar's suspension system - and to think it contributes to the distinctive sound of guitars so equipped - so why wouldn't I want to hear it even more amplifieder, and see if I like it that way?

– Proteus

Have you ever tried one of those electric sitars? You get a whole nother set of strings full of sympathy to mix in.

Anyways, I like the idea of this Jazzmaster. Would love to try something like that.

Have you ever tried one of those electric sitars? You get a whole nother set of strings full of sympathy to mix in.

Yeah, that's too much sympathy for me.

– Proteus

I follow Creston on Facebook and this guitar fetched up in my newsfeed. He's known for top loader Telecasters painted by Sarah Ryan, but there are many very interesting guitars amongst his offerings.

Here's a link to an Instagram post by Creston Lea with a demo of the guitar. Turns out my speculation was wrong, as there is not a single Lollar pickup included in the build.

Creston Instagram

Register Sign in to join the conversation