Other Guitars

cool old Kays

The Kleenex Box pups have superb fidelity...maybe my favorite.

Although I don't like to say favorite, or never, or best, etc.

Yep, that guitar sounds very exotic, love what Walter does here. How do the Kleenex and Thin Twin pickups compare? Similar or different vibe, are the Twins brighter?

I'll take them both out again tomorrow...

Today's comments from past playing:

The Kleenex Box pups are very musical, full spectrum, higher fidelity.

The TT Blades are definitely different...a more rudimentary, rougher, a bit more banded, darker tone.

Let's see if I change my mind about the descriptions.

https://www.vintageguitar.c...

http://chasingguitars.com/1...

The Kessel with the Kleenex Box pups has such a nice, woody thing going on. It's brighter and more vibrant, more feel.

The Thin Twin has less Volume in the same settings, and is just a tighter, specific sound overall. Maybe "dark" wasn't the best word earlier, but definitely it's own wave and harmonic nuances to match.

I'll go do a third Shoot Out...

From a playing perspective, the Kessel gives you an "elevated" view of your hand position as the body level and pickup heights are both much lower.

For the Thin Twin your hand and string levels are just above the pick guard, and the spacing between pups is wide letting you keep your palm right there with no pick/pickup interference, not unlike a Telecaster.

Same opinions as before.

The Kleenex Box pups sound like a Hi-Fi system, the Blades more like a unique guitar pickup.

I used my Fender 6L6 CVR dialed in for a little bit of scoop, some Reverb, even less Vibrato in the Bright Channel.

That LINK above has 4 different players going at it with the original Thin Twins.

From a playing perspective, the Kessel gives you an "elevated" view of your hand position as the body level and pickup heights are both much lower.

For the Thin Twin your hand and string levels are just above the pick guard, and the spacing between pups is wide letting you keep your palm right there with no pick/pickup interference, not unlike a Telecaster.

Same opinions as before.

The Kleenex Box pups sound like a Hi-Fi system, the Blades more like a unique guitar pickup.

I used my Fender 6L6 CVR dialed in for a little bit of scoop, some Reverb, even less Vibrato in the Bright Channel.

That LINK above has 4 different players going at it with the original Thin Twins.

– Twangmeisternyc

Many thanks for that, sounds like a unique guitar. Could you point me at the video you mentioned wherrr the examples of four players with thin Twins?

I like this. Seems bright and teangy enough

You found the vids, at the bottom of the "chasing guitars" LINK after the TT refurb pics.

If we’re talking Kay’s, I’ll post mine. it’s a ca. 62 Swingmaster. Bought last fall, I love the tone and feel. I especially like the checkerboard binding. The bridge pickup needs some foam under it, there is a vibration at full volume that I can stop by pressing my finger against it.

Edit: sorry for the sideways pic - that happens when I post from my phone.

Register Sign in to join the conversation